U2 frontman Bono slated for 'war criminal' support by bandmate Larry Mullen Jr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Babydoll

Blue Crack Addict
U2 singer Bono has been blasted for cosying up to "war criminal" politicians - by one of his bandmates.

The campaigning star was often seen with Tony Blair and George W Bush while urging action on helping the Third World.

But drummer and friend Larry Mullen Jnr said: "Tony Blair is a war criminal and I think he should be tried as a war criminal.

"Then I see Bono and him as pals and I'm going, 'I don't like that.'

"Do I think George Bush is a war criminal? Probably - but the difference between him and Tony Blair is that Blair is intelligent. So he has no excuse for what he did."

Mullen told Q magazine that Bono is "prepared to use his weight as a celebrity, at great cost to himself and his family, to help other people".

He added: "But as an outsider looking in, I cringe."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entert...rt-by-bandmate-larry-mullen-jr-86908-20997784

This is from the Q Magazine stuff. Priceless. I knew I liked LMJ for a reason!

"He said Bono "would know how I feel about Tony Blair". Mullen said he understood why the singer had cosied up to President Bush. "George Bush has been very generous to his cause … the difference between him and Tony Blair is that Blair is intelligent. So he has no excuse for what he did. Whereas I think George Bush could find a few excuses for his behaviour."

I don't really think this needs its own thread, but either way, I really don't see the big deal. It doesn't say Larry even thinks Bono supports Blair, and he knows that Bono is against the war. It's clear that Larry understands why he has to meet with Blair, and that he doesn't hold it against him (even respects him for taking the flak for doing it, in order to work for the poor). Even if it is just a gossip article, it's not that outrageous.

I don't see much new here. We all know Larry is very much against the war, and how he feels about Blair and Bush, etc. But come on, Larry knows what Bono is doing.

Wow! I actually like Larry now! :lol: I never thought I'd say this because I've always disliked his stance on Passengers and the more experimental side of U2.

I don't really think this needs its own thread, but either way, I really don't see the big deal. It doesn't say Larry even thinks Bono supports Blair, and he knows that Bono is against the war. It's clear that Larry understands why he has to meet with Blair, and that he doesn't hold it against him (even respects him for taking the flak for doing it, in order to work for the poor). Even if it is just a gossip article, it's not that outrageous.

I don't see much new here. We all know Larry is very much against the war, and how he feels about Blair and Bush, etc. But come on, Larry knows what Bono is doing.

:up:

Bono is just doing what he has to. Most people wouldnt put their reputations on the line. Larry.....we probably wouldnt get along...

Larry is right though, sorry if he doesnt always agree with your darling Bono.

When I read Larry's comments I new instantly that the media would run with it.

I see both sides, Larry's and Bono's. I don't like to see fans playing out one against the other, but I guess that is what will happen again. I guess the U2 members have a mature way of dealing with these tensions. Larry wasn't bashing Bono, but I'm sure the media will exploit it and shed a negative light on things, because they just love to do that.

I see both sides, Larry's and Bono's. I don't like to see fans playing out one against the other, but I guess that is what will happen again. I guess the U2 members have a mature way of dealing with these tensions. Larry wasn't bashing Bono, but I'm sure the media will exploit it and shed a negative light on things, because they just love to do that.

Totally agree with you. I agree, and support Bono in what he does, but at the same time i hate the fact that he sometimes has to kiss ass to these ***holes in order to get what he wants. I can see how that wouldn't sit well with someone like Larry, because Larry is.... well, a very straight up guy. But the media.... yeah, of course they would be all over this. They always wait for something - anything - to stir up a bit of controversy

First of all, I don't know what this thread is doing in PLEBA, it should be in EYKIW in my opinion.
About the content, I think I understand what Larry says and I can understand why Bono is doing some things I don't really like, I can see both sides, I know Bono is doing a lot of good for some people and I also think that sometimes the objective doesn't justify the means, but I really hate reading this in the media.
Larry has all the right to say whatever he wants, but I think he could have made his point on the war and the politicians involved without mentioning Bono, he should have kept that in private, because he is also intelligent and knows it would affect his colleague and what the media and the audience reactions will be. Most of us know what his position is, it was unnecessary to state it in such an unfriendly way.

Larry is right though, sorry if he doesnt always agree with your darling Bono.

:giggle:

:shame: Play nice. This isn't EYKIW.

I see both sides, Larry's and Bono's. I don't like to see fans playing out one against the other, but I guess that is what will happen again.

I agree about seeing both sides. It's just nice to "hear" Larry speak his mind. (or to speak at all, really)

First of all, I don't know what this thread is doing in PLEBA, it should be in EYKIW in my opinion.

I think there are some PLEBAns that don't really go over to EYKIW since the vibe there tends to be a little more 'confrontational' than over here. :shrug:

Newspapers probably stirring some

The quote is from Q, a very reputable music magazine.

Bono is just doing what he has to. Most people wouldnt put their reputations on the line. Larry.....we probably wouldnt get along...

Larry just put HIS reputation on the line for having the balls to say "Well actually, no, I dont like what Bono does". And well done to him.

Well, this isn't exactly knew, we've heard and read about that before, Bono has confessed several times that the other band members have given him a regular kicking for his extracurricular activities, and Larry has said so in several interviews.

Again, I see both sides, this is not about Larry vs. Bono. Everyone should be free to speak their mind and I'm sure all the band is ok with that.

But I think Bono has a little more reputation to lose than Larry, to be honest.

The quote is from Q, a very reputable music magazine.

Larry just put HIS reputation on the line for having the balls to say "Well actually, no, I dont like what Bono does". And well done to him.

Agreed. I saw in an interview Edge showing a great deal of irritation when discussing Bono's dealings with Bush.

Larry is not about sugarcoating or speaking "to the media." In fact, Larry said that the reason he doesn't do many interviews is that he was tired of people twisting his words in interviews.

Bono knows exactly what he is doing and knows how to work people to his cause's advantage. Was it Edge who said that Bono would have dinner with Satan if it got him what he was looking for?

Larry's statement is very harsh and I don't agree with it, but I do admire his straightforward way of saying what he thinks.

Regardless of what Larry thinks Bono is not going to stop doing what he feels in his heart needs to be done, even if it means talking/hanging with "war criminals"...maybe Larry should step out from behind the drums more often and "do" whatever he feels he needs to do, campaign for what he believes ect.... *just my opinion* ;)

Yeah but seriously Larry doesn't do much does he? :hmm:...Well maybe it's because Mr.Mullen doesnt have the balls to dance with the devil for the sake of those in need!
It's obvious that Edge feels the same way too about some of Bono's sketchy acquaintances but at least Edge understands Bono's mission and purpose.

These comments from Mr Mullen I agree with, and very much welcome.

He has always been sound on the political issues.

REALLLLLY??..Oh wow ((I'm being completely honest about this))..I didn't know Larry many opinions about political issues (being the quiet one) and here I thought I had read every interview U2 members have ever made....Is there somewhere I could find some of these interviews of Larry?...He does have a very funny sarcastic sense of humor though :)

p.s this article was already posted in the Misc thread ;)

pffft! no kidding!!!

INDEPENDANT.IE

'Bono's friendship with war criminals makes me cringe'

By Anne-Marie Walsh

Monday December 29 2008

U2 drummer Larry Mullen has admitted he "cringes" when he sees Bono associating with "war criminals" George W Bush and Tony Blair.

The normally reserved musician has launched a stinging attack on his frontman for his involvement with the two world leaders in an interview with music magazine Q.

It is not the first time Mullen has criticised Bono for his campaign work, but this is his most scathing criticism to date. From his appearance at Live Aid and Band Aid in the 1980s, Bono has been involved in numerous charities to raise awareness of crises in Africa, including AIDs.

He praised Mr Bush for increasing aid to Africa and most recently appeared with him during the G8 summit last year. In 2007, he also saluted outgoing British Prime Minister Tony Blair for "doing the things he believed in", despite the "accusations of a slick PR machine, spin doctoring and the like".

But his work outside the band has caused a deep rift between Bono and at least one other fellow band member.

In his interview, Mullen suggests the singer's campaigns have taken their toll on his family life. He admitted that Bono is "prepared to use his weight as a celebrity at great cost to himself and his family, to help other people", adding: "but, as an outsider looking in, I cringe."

He brands Mr Blair and Mr Bush "war criminals".

"Tony Blair is a war criminal and I think he should be tried as a war criminal.

"Then I see Bono and him as pals and I'm going, 'I don't like that'. Do I think George Bush is a war criminal? Probably -- but the difference between him and Tony Blair is that Blair is intelligent. So, he has no excuse."

Six years ago, in an interview on American TV, Mullen said he believed Bono's political crusades were unsettling the band. He told the '60 Minutes' programme that the lead singer's absence was felt each time he took a break to campaign on issues.

"It does interfere with the band," he said. "It's a four-legged table, and with one leg missing, even for short periods of time, the thing becomes a little unstable."

Bono has also come under attack from critics less close to home, including writer Paul Theroux.

Mr Theroux described Bono, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie as "mythomaniacs, people who wish to convince the world of their worth".

He said he was not complaining about humanitarian aid, disaster relief, AIDS education or affordable drugs.

"Instead, I am speaking of the 'more money' platform: the notion that what Africa needs is more prestige projects, volunteer labour and debt relief."

The U2 singer responded by calling his critics "cranks carping from the sidelines".

"A lot of them wouldn't know what to do if they were on the field," he said.

- Anne-Marie Walsh

It's always easy for people, no matter if it's Larry or someone else, to shout from the sidelines. Bono's not exactly doing an easy job, and if we chose to read Larry's comments in context, it becomes clear that he acknowledges Bono's campaings and the price he has been paying for it. It's not like Larry is bashing Bono, he's just voicing his opinion on it, but I think it's pretty fair and balanced. One can argue whether he could have chosen different words, but I don't think larry is the guy to use euphemisms and nice words. I'm also not comfortable with the way he said it, but I accept that everyone has the right to speak their mind. It sometimes makes me sad to read how many troubles Bono's work is causing himself, his band and his family. What makes me upset is the fact that this news seems to be more important than the upcoming U2 album for the media, because the media is always going for the drama.

Everyone really needs to take chill pill and realize you are reading a print version of an interview and that rarely succeeds in getting across the proper emphasis and inflection of an answer. Even if the Q magazine is printing the words exactly as Larry said them they can seem much harsher than what he is actually trying to express. If you want a very good indication of how the band feels about Bono's work the best example it the June Saprong interview broadcast on T4 as the band was leaving for the last leg of the Vertigo tour after the Q awards. You can see and hear the love and respect the band members have for Bono in spite of the fact that they disagree somewhat on methods and actually Larry is far from bashing Bono but is actually being very protective of him. He cringes because he knows what it looks like to the outsider who isn't aware of all the progress Bono achieves. Go watch that interview and don't worry about this sensationalizing.

Dana

PS I think you can hear it through this link but I don't know where to find the video right offhand because I didn't find it on youtube. Maybe someone else here has it and can post it.
http://www.channel4radio.com/show/index.php?Id=415

(A general question, not directed to anyone, ok?) Do you really think Larry has the right to mention Bono's family relation in public? 'cause I don't.

Generally I would agree because I don't like that either, but I'm sure Larry would never say that in an interview without Bono's consent. I'm sure they have enought respect for each other to not utter such things carelessly.

Dana, I agree with your comment. :up:

Everyone really needs to take chill pill and realize you are reading a print version of an interview and that rarely succeeds in getting across the proper emphasis and inflection of an answer. Even if the Q magazine is printing the words exactly as Larry said them they can seem much harsher than what he is actually trying to express. If you want a very good indication of how the band feels about Bono's work the best example it the June Saprong interview broadcast on T4 as the band was leaving for the last leg of the Vertigo tour after the Q awards. You can see and hear the love and respect the band members have for Bono in spite of the fact that they disagree somewhat on methods and actually Larry is far from bashing Bono but is actually being very protective of him. He cringes because he knows what it looks like to the outsider who isn't aware of all the progress Bono achieves. Go watch that interview and don't worry about this sensationalizing.

Dana

PS I think you can hear it through this link but I don't know where to find the video right offhand because I didn't find it on youtube. Maybe someone else here has it and can post it.
4radio

I generally agree with you, I'm not really mad at Larry, I sometimes have similar feelings towards certain pics, I think he's made a bad mistake, I can even think he's not very much used to talk to the media, but Larry is intelligent and he should have thought about how this way of saying things would affect Bono in public. I'm sorry I can't find any excuse for his mentioning Bono's family in public, I repeat, in public.
So I'm not saying Bono is perfect and nobody can critise him, no, I'm saying Larry's way of doing it has been too harsh and it will invite all the people bashing Bono every time he does something to say: here you are, even his mates can't stand or trust him. (Apart from the splitting romours we'll quite surely see on the yellow press, which I don't really care about)

I think what people might need to be reminded of is that the members of U2 have been disagreeing with each other since 1978. And in the media. I've got Hot Press interviews from the early 80s where Larry is well, being Larry. Disagreeing with Bono's view on music, clothes and Northern Ireland. The only difference then is a few thousand were reading about it in Hot Press. Now in 2008 it's views on Tony Blair and Africa being picked up and reprinted out of context in tabloids.

Regardless of what Larry thinks Bono is not going to stop doing what he feels in his heart needs to be done, even if it means talking/hanging with "war criminals"...maybe Larry should step out from behind the drums more often and "do" whatever he feels he needs to do, campaign for what he believes ect.... *just my opinion* ;)

Yeah but seriously Larry doesn't do much does he? :hmm:...Well maybe it's because Mr.Mullen doesnt have the balls to dance with the devil for the sake of those in need!
It's obvious that Edge feels the same way too about some of Bono's sketchy acquaintances but at least Edge understands Bono's mission and purpose.

Larry does do a lot for the causes he believes in, he just doesn't necessarily have to plaster his image all over the media while he is doing it. He doesn't even really want to be seen doing the U2-related stuff and prefers do make his difference out of the spotlight.

There is nothing wrong with either way of making a difference.

Bono puts himself in the spotlight and brings his image to his causes because that is the attention he craves. Larry does not because that is what HE wants - anonymity.

That does not mean Bono > Larry or Larry > Bono. They are both pretty much heroes in my eyes. Edge and Adam, too. :up:

Back
Top Bottom