U2 are nominated in the 2008 MTV Europe Awards.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
06112008MTV.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Bono is amazing in this pic. :sexywink:

If you love Rock 'n Roll, then you know the Beatles and the pre-eminent role that they have is creating the type of music that U2 performs.

All props are due to Macca. :bow:

Mulago Positive Women’s Network :hug:

06112008MTV.jpg

If you love Rock 'n Roll, then you know the Beatles and the pre-eminent role that they have is creating the type of music that U2 performs.

Some of you people really! Don't mean to make rude, sweeping generalisations but it seems the moment an actual interesting discussion gets going with people expressing their DIFFERENT opinions, someone comes along and goes CLUNK and just kills it.

ahh i was LOLing so much, bono was completely off his face. totally cringed at him tripping over the step. then he proceeded to ramble about nothing for about half an hour. love ya bono, but LOL. oh, and did everyone see him chatting to that lad in the audience? so jealous. someone should start an LOLbono comedy website, that'd be hilarious!

Some of you people really! Don't mean to make rude, sweeping generalisations but it seems the moment an actual interesting discussion gets going with people expressing their DIFFERENT opinions, someone comes along and goes CLUNK and just kills it.

johndarling, we are ALL allowed to voice our opinions.

I did not disparage you - please don't disparage me.

Here's something that I hope that people won't b*tch about:

Parnelli Awards

You can click on the icon at this website to see a really sweet video tribute that U2 did to honor Dennis Sheehan who received a lifetime achievement award at the Parnelli Awards. :applaud:

I've made the experience, too, that the Beatles and PauM seem to be sacrosanct on this board and disagreeing about them isn't exactly a good idea. Honestly, I understand that Bono wants to honour Paul, but this kind of exaggerating ass-kissing is hard for me to take.

I think he was just over-doing it a little.

I wonder how drunk he really was.

I LOVE the B-man to death, but that appearance made me cringe, even though he looked great.

Maccas appearance made me cringe even more.

The whole show was a joke and they shouldn't have been there.

I've made the experience, too, that the Beatles and PauM seem to be sacrosanct on this board and disagreeing about them isn't exactly a good idea. Honestly, I understand that Bono wants to honour Paul, but this kind of exaggerating ass-kissing is hard for me to take.

:shrug: I've never understood the whole Beatles hype, and I prolly never will. I like a few of their songs, but most of them I get sick of hearing after a few times. Ah well, to each their own music. People shouldn't bitch others for liking music, NOR should they bitch people who disagree with their taste.

Bono always talks in hyperboles and I guess he always will be like that, and it gets worse when he's drunk. So I guess the only way not to be annoyed by them is not listening them.

He ALWAYS looked like a sheep. I remember my mother commenting on it, and it was really her generation.

No, John Lennon was the one with ALL the sex appeal and charisma and intelligence and depth and just everything.

I mean WHO were the other two?? I swear I can't even think of their names...

Were there another two??!!

Ringo Starr and George Harrison.

I see your opinion here, but perhaps it would be wise not to word it so harshly. I mean, I don't mind it that you dislike them, I even agree with you, but I wouldn't word it like this. That's what ticks people off more than your point of view itself I think.

:shrug: I've never understood the whole Beatles hype, and I prolly never will. I like a few of their songs, but most of them I get sick of hearing after a few times. Ah well, to each their own music. People shouldn't bitch others for liking music, NOR should they bitch people who disagree with their taste.

Bono always talks in hyperboles and I guess he always will be like that, and it gets worse when he's drunk. So I guess the only way not to be annoyed by them is not listening them.

I don't know if you were around when the Beatles first began, they were so different compared to the music that was out. We quickly became obsessed with their sound and they flew to the top. I was only 6 when they were on Ed Sullivan Show but I remember feeling the magic watching them.

I agree that to today's standards they are just eh :wink:

^We would ass-kiss Bono wouldn't we?

:D

Rosebud, I think that's the understatement of the year in PLEBA.:hyper:

Sorry if this has been posted already but I thought that Rick Astley really did the right thing in this interview:

BBC - Newsbeat - Music - Rick brands MTV win 'ridiculous'

Rick brands MTV win 'ridiculous'

Eighties pop star Rick Astley has branded his surprise victory in the best act ever category at the MTV Europe Music Awards as "ridiculous".

The singer beat U2, Green Day and Christina Aguilera to the gong, which was voted for by the public.

He said: "I just felt it was a bit of a daft award.

"How can you present the best act in the world ever especially when you've got Paul McCartney on the show as well? It was just a bit ridiculous."

Although he played down the victory, the singer said he was very pleased that the public had voted for him.

"They mentioned the phrase "rickrolling" (a phrase coined after his hit Never Gonna Give You Up was hidden behind a variety of fake web links as an online prank) last night and I think MTV were thoroughly rickrolled," he said.

"I really appreciate all the guys that did vote for me but I also feel for all the artists who got rickrolled a bit last night because there were obviously some people there that perhaps deserved it more than me.

"You've got people like U2 in that category and Christine Aguilera so it's a bit of a funny one."

Despite his famous win the singer said he had no plans to make a return.

He added: "I don't have the desire to come back with a new single. I still do gigs and sing my old tunes and pretend I'm 21 again for an hour which is nice.

"I don't really crave having a record again in that way. I think those days are gone. They're best left where they are."

The '80s pop star also admitted that he was a big fan of talent shows such as The X Factor.

He said: "The one thing I like about X Factor and those shows is the people are getting to say what they want.

"They're actually voting and it's down to them at the end of the day.

"I genuinely think Daniel (Evans) has got a lot of fans because what he does, he does well.

"It shows you can't decide what people want at the end of the day. You can try and ram it down their throats but you can't."

Rick Astley was talking to Comedy Dave from Chris Moyles' Breakfast Show on Radio 1.

:applaud:

The fact that you have people like Rick Astley, Christina Aguilera and U2 in ONE category says it all.

MTV sucks big time.

I'm glad U2 didn't win, because that would have been so embarrassing.

Rick Astley winning totally shows what a joke MTV has become.

johndarling, we are ALL allowed to voice our opinions.

I did not disparage you - please don't disparage me.

Totally NOT disparaging!!!! Sorry. It was more Tizer and THEN you and you got it, because we were kind of just getting going and then BANG, you two happened. Though really it wasn't you at all.....

Sorry! :hug:

Ringo Starr and George Harrison.

I see your opinion here, but perhaps it would be wise not to word it so harshly. I mean, I don't mind it that you dislike them, I even agree with you, but I wouldn't word it like this. That's what ticks people off more than your point of view itself I think.

So what? I shouldn't say he looks like a sheep? What exactly sounded harsh?

Of course I know who the other two were! In fact last night, they played My Sweet Lord on the radio and I just laughed out loud!!!

I'm not the only one whose been known to make jokes like this you know.

Oh and I don't dislike the Beatles. How can anyone really dislike the Beatles? Or if you do you should at least acknowledge their importance. When put in context of course.

Both of them were very talented. It wasn't meant to be a rivalry or a competition.

I disagree with "John would be nothing without Paul" and vice versa comments, and all the "who was really better" debates over the years.

I'm not a Beatles fan, but I truly acknowledge their importance for the history of music. Still, I don't listen to their music, though I like some of their stuff. I've never gotten the whole Beatles phenomenon, may be I'm too young.
I've always loved JOHN and never really liked Paul, that's just my personal opinion.

Needless to say I take U2 over the Beatles any day.

That's the AFTER Heather Mills look :wink:

Yeah I know a lot of people felt sorry for him about that.

But it was so his fault.

I mean people DID warn him that she was an insane gold digger.

But HE KNEW BETTER!!!:up:

And it's not like he wasn't OLD enough to know better :sexywink:

Although I have to say I DO KIIIID of understand!:up: He'd had SUCH a good experience with his first family, guess he thought it would be more of the same.

Guess the joke was all over him.

Poor guy.

Both of them were very talented. It wasn't meant to be a rivalry or a competition.

I disagree with "John would be nothing without Paul" and vice versa comments, and all the "who was really better" debates over the years.

YES they WERE TALENTED!!!!! ExtrOOOOOrdinarily TALENTED!!! I don't think anybody's really debating that!

But there was definately rivalry and competition between them. I mean didn't they write songs about each other? AFTER they broke up? Or John definately wrote songs about Paul.

I think it wasn't so much a question of who was really better! so much as people tend to fall into two camps: you're kind of either a 'John' person or a 'Paul' person. (And I don't mean to speak for ANYONE)

Also wasn't Paul always trying to get the Lennon/McCartney songwriting credit changed to McCartney/Lennon, though that was probably mostly about money and not wanting Yoko to have it all.

Dunno, just guessing!

Tell me if I am wrong. I'm sure you all will! :sexywink:

So what? I shouldn't say he looks like a sheep? What exactly sounded harsh?

Of course I know who the other two were! In fact last night, they played My Sweet Lord on the radio and I just laughed out loud!!!

I'm not the only one whose been known to make jokes like this you know.

Oh and I don't dislike the Beatles. How can anyone really dislike the Beatles? Or if you do you should at least acknowledge their importance. When put in context of course.

That exactly sounded harsh. Calling a guy a sheep. And the whole sheep word in particular is a bit of a sensitive thing here in PLEBA. But it might be me but I've always learned to respect other people, and especially if they've done something for others. Calling someone a sheep is a sign of disrespect. While I am not a beatles fan, I do acknowledge that they're legends for loads of people. And I respect that. It's like calling Bono a sheep.
Then again, he's no sheep, he's a soddin' mountain goat.

I don't think anyone SHOULD acknowledge their importance. As long as people respect it when others do acknowledge that. That's all.
And a little less hyperboles from Bono wouldn't hurt either.

Every time I read this site, I get a strong impulse to say something in Paul McCartney's defense. You see, he's kind of part of me...how I feel about music today.

I have posted this before, and apologize to those who have suffered through it already, but I can't think of a better way to share with others what Paul and the other Beatles meant (and still do) to their fans.

identity theory | nonfiction | if i should die before i wake by valerie nielsen

That exactly sounded harsh. Calling a guy a sheep. And the whole sheep word in particular is a bit of a sensitive thing here in PLEBA. But it might be me but I've always learned to respect other people, and especially if they've done something for others. Calling someone a sheep is a sign of disrespect. While I am not a beatles fan, I do acknowledge that they're legends for loads of people. And I respect that. It's like calling Bono a sheep.
Then again, he's no sheep, he's a soddin' mountain goat.

I don't think anyone SHOULD acknowledge their importance. As long as people respect it when others do acknowledge that. That's all.
And a little less hyperboles from Bono wouldn't hurt either.

I didn't say he's a sheep. (that would be fantastically easy to disprove by someone).

I said he looks like a sheep :sexywink:

YES they WERE TALENTED!!!!! ExtrOOOOOrdinarily TALENTED!!! I don't think anybody's really debating that!

But there was definately rivalry and competition between them. I mean didn't they write songs about each other? AFTER they broke up? Or John definately wrote songs about Paul.

I think it wasn't so much a question of who was really better! so much as people tend to fall into two camps: you're kind of either a 'John' person or a 'Paul' person. (And I don't mean to speak for ANYONE)

Also wasn't Paul always trying to get the Lennon/McCartney songwriting credit changed to McCartney/Lennon, though that was probably mostly about money and not wanting Yoko to have it all.

Dunno, just guessing!

Tell me if I am wrong. I'm sure you all will! :sexywink:

Yes, AFTER the break up. Doesn't mean they were rivals before that, or all along. They were a team first and foremost.

Those two camps tend to duke it out, ie "who was better" ?

I think Lennon has said at times "we'll get Lennon/McCartney credits reversed someday", not that I care.

And considering the awarded person on MTV, I wouldn't consider that hyperbole from Bono. That was getting it exactly right.

Back
Top Bottom