U2 and Gavin Friday's 50th Birthday Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonocomet

Blue Crack Distributor
An Evening With Gavin Friday and Friends
Carnegie Hall October 4th, 2009 for (RED)Nights

Hoping to see more great photo's soon, I haven't been able to find anything yet but a few. I know quite a few Interferencers were there... :hmm:

From sunmorng
gavinbday2009.jpg

From comay
gavinbday20092comay.jpg

From U2gigs.com:

Members of U2 appear with Gavin Friday

Today at Carnegie Hall in New York, Gavin Friday held a concert in celebration of his 50th birthday. An Evening With Gavin Friday And Friends is part of the Red Nights series of concerts held by Product Red to raise money for the fight against AIDS. All four members of U2 are on the bill for this concert, although listed separately.

The songs featuring members of U2 were:

1. Children Of The Revolution (Bono and Edge with Gavin Friday)
2. I Want To Live (All four U2 members with Gavin Friday's musicians, but not Gavin)
3. King Of Trash (All four U2 members with Gavin Friday's musicians, but not Gavin)
4. Another Blow On The Bruise (Edge with Gavin Friday)
5.The Last Song I'll Ever Sing (Bono with Gavin Friday's musicians)
6. Sweet Jane (Edge and Larry with Lou Reed and Gavin Friday; Bono joins in at the end)
7.The Jean Genie (finale featuring all four U2 members with the night's other performers)

:hyper:

Can't wait for pictures, audio, video.

I haven't been able to find anything on that event yet.

I have a few photos of Ali arriving at the event, I'll post them in the Ali thread but I guess they could go here too. :hmm:

Christy_Turlington_Alison_5da3.jpg

Christy_Turlington_Alison_84b5.jpg

Christy_Turlington_Alison_5fe8.jpg

Christy_Turlington_Alison_b610.jpg

Christy_Turlington_Alison_64ab.jpg

Christy_Turlington_Alison_cb58.jpg

From U2gigs.com:

Members of U2 appear with Gavin Friday

Today at Carnegie Hall in New York, Gavin Friday held a concert in celebration of his 50th birthday. An Evening With Gavin Friday And Friends is part of the Red Nights series of concerts held by Product Red to raise money for the fight against AIDS. All four members of U2 are on the bill for this concert, although listed separately.

The songs featuring members of U2 were:

1. Children Of The Revolution (Bono and Edge with Gavin Friday)
2. I Want To Live (All four U2 members with Gavin Friday's musicians, but not Gavin)
3. King Of Trash (All four U2 members with Gavin Friday's musicians, but not Gavin)
4. Another Blow On The Bruise (Edge with Gavin Friday)
5.The Last Song I'll Ever Sing (Bono with Gavin Friday's musicians)
6. Sweet Jane (Edge and Larry with Lou Reed and Gavin Friday; Bono joins in at the end)
7.The Jean Genie (finale featuring all four U2 members with the night's other performers)

I was following the evening on Twitter...so much epic awesomeness showed up. LOU REED! And more curiously...Lady Gaga. I wanna know how she fits in with Mr. Reed and my love, Rufus Wainwright. Really, I do. I need video/pictures of this shit.

Wearing jeans to Carnegie Hall, Ali? I guess a rock star's wife can get away with anything! My mother would be horrified.

To be honest, I'm surprised, because she is always dressed so elegantly for every occassion. But I know people who wear jeans even to the opera house, so it's not uncommon. Maybe she just came from another appointment and didn't have time to change.

To be fair, Christy is dressed worse, that blouse is horrible.

I was there too!!! I wrote about it in the Meetings section. I wasn't allowed to take pictures; I tried to snap one from my camera phone and an usher told me to put it away. :sigh: But my seat was GREAT and I feasted my eyes on the B-man! Lord, I love that man. My Silver Fox was playing bass sitting down with other guitarists, so cool, like a jazz man. :adam: :drool: :combust:

I didn't see Ali, but I saw Morleigh was backstage. My seat faced the backstage door and I had a great view of the guys hanging around. Bono and Larry watched a bit of the show from there, and Edge and Morleigh watched Lady GaGa's performance (which was really fun and unexpected).

Just seen a video over in the tour forum. Bono also arrived very casually dressed and greeted fans. Can't wait to see more pictures and videos. Looks like an amazing night.

From Ballymun to Carnegie Hall: An evening with Gavin Friday and friends
By CAHIR O'DOHERTY, IrishCentral.com

October 3, 2009

Irish singing star Gavin Friday, former singer with the infamous Virgin Prunes and a close friend of U2’s Bono, has assembled some of his most famous friends for a very special one night only concert at Carnegie Hall on Sunday night.
“Expect the unexpected, from Joel Grey to Courtney Love, from U2 to Lydia Lunch. It’s a cocktail,” Friday tells Irish Central.
Scheduled to appear just days before his 50th birthday on Thursday, the mysterious rock singer is inviting Bono, The Edge, Larry Mullen, Jr. and Adam Clayton for individual performances, but not as U2 (as far as we know yet).
One thing is certain, it’s a rare opportunity to see the Irish super group playing individually or with unannounced friends, and tickets are being snapped up.
Slated to participate are Laurie Anderson, Andrea Corr, Courtney Love, Lydia Lunch, Maria McKee, Shane MacGowan, Scarlett Johansson and Rufus Wainwright. Joel Grey, the famous compere from the classic musical Cabaret will be there too (perhaps as Master of Ceremonies?).
“I saw Joel in Cabaret when I was a kid and he just blew my mind, I was obsessed with it,” says Friday.
“He opened up doors for me to the world of Kurt Weil, Berthold Brecht and Charles Isherwood. He was like a touchstone. It’s the era I grew up in Dublin listening to Bowie, T-Rex, and Roxy Music. One of the things about the Virgin Prunes was that we were more popular in Europe than we were anywhere else.”
Friday brought that torch song singing European influence to Bono and U2. “You become the people you hang around, so yeah I would have opened doors after the 1980’s when they had finished Rattle and Hum,” says Friday.

“Bill Graham, a very clever journalist for the Hot Press, Ireland’s premiere rock magazine, once said ‘One day U2 will turn into the Virgin Prunes.’ And they nearly did around Achtung Baby. We were far more extreme. You never know I might turn into U2 eventually.”
An Evening with Gavin Friday and Friends is part of (RED) Nights, a concert series designed to help eliminate AIDS in Africa. But despite its serious theme, you can depend on Friday to throw a memorable party.
“I like being with my mates and having a great dinner and a few drinks. I want the night to be very spontaneous, a one off. What really excites me is having a group of profoundly creative people all over the place. They’ve come here, they’re rehearsing for three days, getting up on stage and doing something that isn’t over marketed, over analyzed, it’s just pure. That excites me. The stakes are going to be glorious.”
Asked if it was true that on Bono’s 33rd birthday Friday sent him a packet containing nails, a hammer and wood with a note marked “DIY” he replied it was. “It was during the Zooropa tour and I was out on the road with them. He didn’t get up on the cross, though.”
Friday hails from Ballymun, at that time considered the projects of Dublin. “Isn’t that great though? I don’t have time to think about it though because right now I’m on autopilot. I’m not going to over think it. It’s a good way to keep happy you know, by staying true to yourself, by saying ah fuck it, this is what I want to do, you know?”
Asked if he’ll celebrate after the show with a few pints Friday replies: “I never drink pints. I’d turn into Van Morrison. If he reads that he’ll kill me. But there’ll be fine wines quaffed after the event, I’ll tell you that baby. It’ll be a very loud late night in upper Manhattan.”

From Ballymun to Carnegie Hall: An evening with Gavin Friday and friends | Irish Music | IrishCentral

I wonder when the guys found time to learn and rehearse the songs they played last night. That's impressive, especially when you figure they have a little show of their own that they're touring with right now...!

I wonder when the guys found time to learn and rehearse the songs they played last night. That's impressive, especially when you figure they have a little show of their own that they're touring with right now...!

They rehearsed the songs at the Raleigh soundcheck. It was very cool to hear.

Back
Top Bottom