U2 and Gavin Friday's 50th Birthday Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are some of mine, not great quality though:
100_0890.jpg

100_0904.jpg

100_0915.jpg

Virgen Prunes, Dik just kept going back and forth:

100_0937.jpg

100_0938.jpg

‘Look, we’ve actually shut Friday up!’
Interviews September 23rd, 2009 1 Comment

‘I still don’t know what to say about it,’ Gavin tells U2.com’s interviewer, then proceeds to talk about his 50th birthday celebration at Carnegie Hall for quite a bit:

Question: What have Laurie Anderson, Andrea Corr, Courtney Love, Lydia Lunch, Maria McKee, Shane MacGowan and Rufus Wainwright got in common with Larry, Bono, Edge and Adam. Answer: They’re all fans of Gavin Friday and they’re all taking part in a one-of-a-kind show in New York next week, set to raise funds to combat AIDS in the poorest countries.

An Evening with Gavin Friday and Friends, on Sunday October 4th at Carnegie Hall in New York, is curated and produced by Hal Willner, someone with an unrivalled track record in one-off musical events inspired by maverick artists from Leonard Cohen to Kurt Weill, Tim Buckley to Thelonius Monk.

Gavin, of course, has been hanging out with the members of U2 since before they were the members of U2 and is invariably to be found with them in the studio when an album needs to be finished… or out on the road, when a tour is about to kick off. Right now, he’s working on songs for his own next solo album due in 2010. We caught up with him in Dublin to find out more about the Carnegie Hall show:

“Believe it or not, this was not born in my head. I think I was on some kind of TV show, maybe 12 years ago, and I was asked about my musical ambition and I said I’d love to play Carnegie Hall before I’m 50. That was the seed of all this. Then earlier this year a gang of us went away for a day to celebrate the 50th birthday of Guggi and at the party, Bono, who turns 50 himself next May, said to me, ‘Do you know what you’re doing for your fiftieth ?’ I said I didn’t have a clue and that I’ll probably run away to avoid the attention. He said he did know what I was doing, that I was playing Carnegie Hall.”

[Read more →]

Gavin Friday talks about ‘An Evening with Gavin Friday and Friends’
Interviews September 11th, 2009

We had a little chat with Gavin about ‘Hal Willner presents: An Evening with Gavin Friday and Friends‘.

C: How are you?

G: I am in excellent Physical and Emotional Health… and How are you?

C: I’m doing well, Gav, thanks. ‘An evening with Gavin Friday and friends’… what’s the occasion?

G: A Hal Willner Presents Event which always proves to be an Extraordinary Affair… The Occasion? A few days before i turn 50 years of age….Hal and My Good Friends all coming together to perform around the world of Mr. Friday… The Evening is also a Charity Event for RED.

C: What do you usually do on your birthday?

G: Preferably I’d Hide…. but usually I am very happy to have a quiet bite to eat with a few close friends.

C: Your 50th will be a little different then. Why Carnegie Hall?

G: The most beautiful looking, best sounding Venue in one of the Greatest cities on Earth… to play Carnegie Hall is a dream come true….

C: What are the guests going to do on the night?

G: That’s a secret… xx

C: Joel Grey’s on the bill. He’s a legend. Tell me about him.

G: Joel Grey is as you say a living Legend.. He has been a touchstone to me as a performer since i was a teenager…. He and his performance in ‘Cabaret’ for me was the key to the door ….. it was my introduction to Brecht, Weill, Lotte Lenya… it opened a very inspiring can of worms…

C: Gavin Friday live on stage… what’s he like?

G: How would I know I’ve never seen him ‘Live’?? … but am very much looking forward to the Show

C: What’s with the boxer dog?

G: His name is ‘GAV’… He looks full on but he doesn’t bite.

An Evening with Gavin Friday and Friends

Sunday 4th October 2009
Carnegie Hall – New York City
Stern Auditorium / Perelman Stage

Tickets go on-sale Wednesday,
September 16, 11AM EST
Available at CarnegieCharge at 212.247.7800
Carnegie Hall and the box office

Gavin Friday — Official Site

She said that demanded to be there. She said that when she was introducing the Virgin Prunes

Thanks bigger is always better, Bono looking mighty fine! :drool: But wow, Courtney must short of cash, having to scour a dumpster for bits of material to make a dress.....:shifty: And who's the red haired girl? :hmm:

Scarlett Johanssen who also performed that evening.

Thanks bigger is always better, Bono looking mighty fine! :drool: But wow, Courtney must short of cash, having to scour a dumpster for bits of material to make a dress.....:shifty: And who's the red haired girl? :hmm:

oh i actually quite like Courtney Love's outfit... i think it's pretty... and i love Scarlet's dress!

It looks like the videos were taken down because of copyright. Did anyone happen to save them? :pray:

I saved 2 of them, were there more? I was hoping I'd saved Bono doing the solo piece but it looks like I just have The Jean Genie and King of Trash. I can upload them to send space. If anyone has video of Bono doing The Last Song I'll Ever Sing, that would be great.

Back
Top Bottom