The latest on the Clarence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Here's an update:

Two-year delay for revamp of U2 hotel

Herald.ie

Friday January 02 2009

THE €150m redevelopment of U2's Clarence Hotel will not get under way for another two years.

After a protracted planning application process, Bono and The Edge are willing to wait before closing down the Dublin city centre hotel.

A spokeswoman for the project told the Herald the Clarence would operate as normal for the next two years.

"The owners are currently working on the design and pro-ject management requirements. For the next two years, the Clarence Hotel is fully operational as normal," she said.

The hotel will re-open again following the redevelopment in 2012 or 2013, the spokeswoman added. An Bord Pleanala gave the go ahead last July to the Norman Foster-designed pro-ject, which has been going through the planning process for over a year and a half.

The decision was hugely significant as the redevelopment will involve gutting a series of protected buildings, including the Clarence itself, leaving just the facades.

Revised plans will have to be submitted to Dublin City Council as the planning board directed certain changes.

The massive revamp was granted permission by Dublin City Council in November but that decision was appealed.

An Bord Pleanala then directed that an oral hearing take place.

DEMOLITION

Permission was granted despite the Department of the Environment saying it did not believe the plan was of such architectural merit as to justify the demolition of six protected buildings.

The U2 band members, along with property developers Paddy McKillen and Derek Quinlan, will transform the 44-bedroom boutique hotel into a 141-bedroom, five-star hotel and spa, complete with restaurant, bar and fresh food market.

During the oral hearing, The Edge, whose real name is David Evans, said: "If it goes ahead, it will be the ninth different version of a hotel on that site. We want to keep the infrastructure in the city -- we don't want it to turn into apartments. We don't want it to be lost."

But the plan caused controversy as it involves a massive reconstruction of the Clarence, an art deco building dating from 1937, four Georgian buildings from the early 19th century and Dollard House, built in 1886.

All are listed buildings and only the facades along Wellington Quay in the south inner city will be preserved.

It is proposed to re-use skirting boards, fireplaces, floorboards and all other internal features in the new building.

A huge glass atrium, which will be accessible to the public, will be at the heart of the hotel, with a skycatcher allowing light to enter the hotel.

- Cormac Murphy

They've lost money on it pretty consistently since they bought it. The reason apparently is that it's too small to turn a profit, hence the need for the enlargement. They seem to have some strong loyalty to the place.

They've lost money on it pretty consistently since they bought it. The reason apparently is that it's too small to turn a profit, hence the need for the enlargement. They seem to have some strong loyalty to the place.

Nice to have a hotel. It's not just money. It's a status thing as well. A place to meet your friends.

Probably a bit of a challenge too. To try to get it to make a profit somehow, one year.........

:hmm:

As Bono put it, they know a little bit about hotels, they've lived in them most of their lives. Maybe Bono wanted to buy the hotel because Ali kept making him stay at a hotel a few extra weeks after a tour til he could sort of pass for normal again. :wink:

Dana

Thanks for the update on the hotel. It's a very nice establishment, very chic and yes, quite expensive. But Dublin is one of the most expensive cities in Europe.

I would stay there when I go to Ireland, but it is too expensive.

It is quite expensive but its not as bad as some of the other places in Dublin (Jury's at Croke Park is a rip off... 749euro for two nights .. and its kinda crappy too) .. the clarence is worth a look though .. I love it just as it is .. though i dont think that will stop U2 for re-developing it lol

Thank God the renos are off, that fuckin' "starship" roof will look totally out of place in Temple Bar.

And the Octagon Bar should stay as it is, and the ladies loo :wink:

Back
Top Bottom