The Edge - BBC Story of the Guitar video!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Edge always has sound issues with The Fly :lol:

Great videos. My bro was watching the show earlier and told me about it. He was amazed at the size of Edge's effects tower :up:

wait wtf, when is this from? This is all abou ATYCLB right? Not the new record right?

wait wtf, when is this from? This is all abou ATYCLB right? Not the new record right?

It's obviously not all about ATYCLB as he talks about using the Line6 on the last tour. But no, there's nothing new here. But it's cool all the same.

Very cool, love to hear Edge talking about his guitars :cute: and about creating the songs and their sounds.

I sure hope we get to see It Might Get Loud soon.

It's obviously not all about ATYCLB as he talks about using the Line6 on the last tour. But no, there's nothing new here. But it's cool all the same.

hmm...yes I got a bit excited there...I didn't realize there were 2 vids haha...this is great...I wish he played the Fly solo :drool:

edgebbcguitar1j.jpg

:cute:

^ :heart: thank you bonocomet! I was just going to come back to this thread to say we needed a pic of that smile at the end of video #2! I knew you'd be on top of that one. :sexywink:

Thanks for the videos! I needed some new Edge after the last few days I've had. There's nothing like watching Edge talk about his guitars. I love how he always has Dallas on the side and has to ask him questions about his guitars. :cute: I really can't wait to see It Might Get Loud now! Has anyone heard any news about release dates?

Wow... he looks gorgeous... :drool:

I don't have time right now to see it all because I have to go back to work... but I definitely watch it later...

Anybody knows a way to download it?? :shh:

is that the same room that they shot the first vertigo video? really nice riverside office

I just watched it, it's so great. Especially the part about The Fly.

"It wasn't designed for this kind of abuse". :lol:

And the look on Edge's face when he finally managed to pull off the Fly riff is priceless, so sweet.

what is that mini guitar hanging off the edge of the rack???

That there is a Vox Mando-Guitar.

I think it's Danny's. I've seen Danny play one often. (You can see Danny using one in the Classic Albums: The Joshua Tree video)

Mando-Guitar // Octave Twelve

The octave twelve is a purely electric hybrid with a short-scale 12-string guitar neck and a small solid electric guitar body. It is tuned one octave higher than a standard guitar with the pairs of strings tuned in unison rather than in octaves as is the case of standard 12-string guitars. This puts the instrument in the same range as a mandolin. Most are fashioned afted the old Vox MandoGuitar, as shown to the right.

The MandoGuitar was originally made by Vox, then copied by Hammertone, and is now produced by Phantom Guitars, which seems to own the trademark on the name 'MandoGuitar' as well as the body and head shapes. The others are now calling their instruments an 'Octave Twelve'.

The double strings should give this type of instrument more of a mandolin flavor than the 6-string mandolins, but they tend to sound more like electric 12-string guitars played at the 12th fret. This is probably because no attempt is made to replicate the attack and sustain characteristics of a mandolin. However, they're a good size and shape for practicing mandolin-guitar, and they are a uniquely fun little instruments in their own right.

A relatively new addition to the pack breaks the Vox mold and uses the old Danelectro Guitarlin-type body with a short-scale 12-string guitar neck. It's a Neptune "Shorty" Octave 12 String by Jerry Jones Guitars, pictured to the left. The main difference here is obviously the body. Holding it like a standard mandolin may prove something of a problem with the base of the body so wide. Then again, you probably wouldn't be playing this instrument in a mandolin orchestra.

A bit more...
http://www.mandolin-guitar.com/types/OctaveTwelve.jsp

these clips are either additional to the program that was aired on Sunday or will be on another episode. On the 'actual' program on Sunday they had a short clip with Edge where he was playing the 'Elevation' riff.

He just looked so pleased with himself, and so delighted to be expounding on his favorite subject. It was the equivalent of a brain surgeon discussing a surgery, only a much more pleasant subject, of course. I also love his Irish/Welsh accent and the way he says "GIT-tar."

Back
Top Bottom