Stella vs Ali

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silverfish

The Fly
OK I need to stop browsing the net for updates on this story. So many people are commenting very nasty things about Ali having no talent and that she needs to get a life .... :angry:

But I thought there could possibly be a thread on this topic -makes for a good debate perhaps? No nasty comments about Ali please .. she is getting abused left right and center as it is. :sad: :sad:

Ali Hewson | Stella | Lawsuit | Stella Nude | Nude Skincare | Bono | Paul McCartney - Oneindia Entertainment

Comments | Discussions | Bono's wife sues Sir Paul McCartney's daughter - Oneindia Entertainment

All that its just :blahblah::blahblah: she is better than that...I dont think she worries about it or even reads about it

Dont worry Silverfish:hug:

I'm not knocking Alison as a person. I've never met her. But, on the surface. The lawsuit does seem to be frivolous. Bill Blass came out with a cologne called Nude in 1990 and I believe, Estee Lauder also has a cologne using the same word. I don't know anything about copyright laws, so hopefully this can be settled without going to court.

It's not Ali suing, but a company where Ali is part of.
I'm sure she wouldn't sue without a real reason.
She just doesn't seem that kind of person to me.

Copyright law is still a law and if this is a copyright violation, I'm sure the lawyers will find a way to sort it out.

Thing like that happen all the time. It's just in the media because she and her husband happen to be famous.

That is just weird. Who would have thought of copyrighting such a word as "Nude" .:lol:
OOOoooops! I just used it!
Should I have asked someone if I could write NUDE? :doh:

NEVER FEAR!! I Will soon put on the marked a perfume called "NAKED".
It smells like champagne with strawberries! :drool:

:applaud:

I think it is Sad

It is sad that they had to use lawyers. One cannot help thinking that since it is about money and not for the name, why wasn't someone called and an out-of-court settlement tried? I mean, not one of them needs the money. Not one of them owns the word/name "Nude." It just seems strange to me that since Paul McCartney and Bono are friends and Paul is even one of Bono's "idols" since he is a HUGE Beatles fan, that one would not want to burn bridges or cause friction between such two icons. It seems that there is NUDE products all over the beauty industry, so Ali's company could have been sued as well. I hope that this bad press, and it really is bad press does not hurt a relationship (especially Bono's and Paul M's). Ali could have made a sincere phone call and it could have been settled. Now, her company looks foolish, greedy, and ruthless. After the bad press about U2's tax evasion from Ireland, their tour carbon footprint, etc., I think this could have and should have been settled out of court. It is too bad. I don't think Ali's company nor her wallet needs any more money; she should look in the mirror seriously before she preaches to anyone about donating money to help the needy because I cannot help but think about the people that could be fed and helped with the money being spent on this frivilous lawsuit.:scratch:

Always good to see how quickly people are ready to jump to conclusions about Ali and/or Bono. Of course, they have to be the bad ones, because they're so famous. As long as it's about admiring Ali for her looks or her dress sense or her relationship to B and her sense of family, it's all fine, but as soon as she shows up as a business woman, it's all bad. Same with U2. They can not be smart business people, because they are automatically "bad". No, they have to be stupid instead.

I'll reserve judgement until I hear details. As I said, copyright lawsuits like that are brought forward every day, it's just not in the media.

Not jumping to conclusions, just giving our opinion, which is why people are on this site. If you don't like the opinions, too bad, we have a right to them. I personally don't care about Ali's looks, her dress, and her relationship with B. I think everyone is sick of frivilous lawsuits. She owns the company with her partner, she had to sign on the dotted line for the lawsuit and it is not a lawsuit over copywriting, it is for "MONEY" only...learn your facts "Last Unicorn:"before you write.......if it was for the "copywrite" then the lawsuit would be for the title, NUDE, and to stop the distribution of McCartney's perfume from coming out next month. But it is not for the copywrite, it is for the "money." There are many other perfumes and beauty products with NUDE in them that were distrubuted before their line came out. So, I guess perhaps they ought to slap Ali's company with a lawsuit? I have nothing against Ali, but I am rooting for Stella. Companies don't run themselves nor do they make their own decisions, and like I said, a phone call to Stella could have avoided all this....With Bono as her husband, I am sure she could get Stella's number. It is disgusting in my eyes.....I guess Ali ain't the saint everyone thinks she is.....:cute:

I'm not taking sides here myself, but just wanted to add that no one knows all the "facts" which means you also don't know that that simple phone call which "could have avoided all this", wasn't in fact made, but still didn't resolve things.
But anyways, whatever. :shrug:

:doh: True. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it and Fair enough. I guess people are just very sick of lawsuits and stuff like that when there are so many more important things in the world to worry about. But, when you are right, you are right.

I'm not taking sides here myself, but just wanted to add that no one knows all the "facts" which means you also don't know that that simple phone call which "could have avoided all this", wasn't in fact made, but still didn't resolve things.
But anyways, whatever. :shrug:

:up:

Since neither party has actually commented on the case and since the only thing we know about it comes from an unnamed source from a tabloid (The Daily Mail), until an actual copy of the lawsuit is presented, we don't even really know what it's really about.

Not jumping to conclusions, just giving our opinion, which is why people are on this site. If you don't like the opinions, too bad, we have a right to them. I personally don't care about Ali's looks, her dress, and her relationship with B. I think everyone is sick of frivilous lawsuits. She owns the company with her partner, she had to sign on the dotted line for the lawsuit and it is not a lawsuit over copywriting, it is for "MONEY" only...learn your facts "Last Unicorn:"before you write.......if it was for the "copywrite" then the lawsuit would be for the title, NUDE, and to stop the distribution of McCartney's perfume from coming out next month. But it is not for the copywrite, it is for the "money." There are many other perfumes and beauty products with NUDE in them that were distrubuted before their line came out. So, I guess perhaps they ought to slap Ali's company with a lawsuit? I have nothing against Ali, but I am rooting for Stella. Companies don't run themselves nor do they make their own decisions, and like I said, a phone call to Stella could have avoided all this....With Bono as her husband, I am sure she could get Stella's number. It is disgusting in my eyes.....I guess Ali ain't the saint everyone thinks she is.....:cute:

Well said. And I agree.

Many companies have used the word "nude" in the description of their product. Panty hose, makeup, perfume and etc. "Nude" is a common word in the english language and no one, owns the copyright. If so, we would all be fined.

Indra! Bravo! Bravo! Great vid!

Couldn't have said it better myself. I remember watching this Dynasty episode long away when I was just a gal. This is hilarious and lightened things up. Thanks! :applaud::lol:

Nude is a word. Google it. The first result you get is a definition. For me, that is enough. I can use it. Anyone can use it. Nothing original about it. It is common in business for these lawsuits to appear, when one chooses something so generic for a product. And I've taken some business law courses and most copyrights won't hold up if something so everyday is chosen.

Is Stella's perfume at all similar to Ali's line of natural skin care? Did Stella copy Ali's products ingredient by ingredient? I doubt it.

I hope Stella comes out on top. To sue someone for use of a common place word is ridiculous. Honestly, if Ali and Co. is so concerned, they should have come up with something more original for their product name. Both could have been more original, if you ask me.

In a statement Nude Brands Limited said that when Stella McCartney asked for permission to use the trademark NUDE in May last year it had “respectfully refused” as the firm was planning to release its own scent. It added: “Nude considers the launch of STELLANUDE by L’Oreal to be a clear infringement of Nude Brand’s trademark.

Daily Express | UK News :: Stella wins the right to be Nude

YAY....common sense prevailed. I hope this is the end of it. Glad to see that there are a few who can take a balanced view of this, rather than just side with Ali coz of who she is. At the end of the day, its just the word that is similar, not the product FFS, had it been the latter then yeah, I would agree Ali's company had a case

YAY....common sense prevailed. I hope this is the end of it. Glad to see that there are a few who can take a balanced view of this, rather than just side with Ali coz of who she is. At the end of the day, its just the word that is similar, not the product FFS, had it been the latter then yeah, I would agree Ali's company had a case

It depends if they go through to court now, which appears to be their intent.

I think this whole stella vs. ali bit is nonsense though. Likely neither of them are particularly involved in the case. i'd wager Stella's line is handled by L'Oreal, and I would guess if anyone from the top was involved from Nude, it's Meehan with her consent.

The case makes more sense now. If NUDE (capitals) is a Nude Brands copyright, and they were interested in releasing their own scent called NUDE (which one report mentions), then there is overlap between the two brands. Apparently this was already known, as permission was asked and refused (which is understandable- if you're releasing similar products, and a consumer is just going into the shop and asking for 'NUDE', there's probably a 75% or greater chance they'll be given the wrong product, as Stella is much more established). It's a shame cooler heads didn't prevail at *that* time. Would not Stella Bare, or something have worked just as well? As it is this story probably isn't going away for a while, which is unfortunate. It all depends on how it pans out when they go to court. I'm guessing it'll probably end in L'Oreal/Stella's favour, but who knows?

Oh, and lads... all this 'it's just a word!' 'are they going to fine us for using a word??' is ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom