Special Bono Picture Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
I'm hoping the members of PLEBA can help me! Here is the challenge.

Back when I was in grad. school in the 90's, there was a poster sale. One poster featured Bono, circa 1987. He was in an overcoat and I believe in the woods near a river. It was a picture just of him. I really liked the poster, but didn't have money on me at the time (remember, I was in grad. school, so poor was a way of life). When I did get some $$, the poster was sold. :(

Ever since then, I've hunted for a least a photo of that poster, if not the poster itself.

This is NOT to be confused with a rather evil looking poster of Bono taken in what appears to be early 1986 (pre-JT). In that poster, which I own, Bono is wearing an overcoat, but also a hat. He's looking down, giving him a rather sinister appearance. It's a close-up of Bono; whereas, the poster I'm referring to is more of a distant shot. Also, this '86 era poster is in color, while the poster/photo I'm seekign is in black and white.

The poster/photo I'm referring to appears to have been taken along with all the other photos done by Corbijn done for the JT photoshoot. In various books, I've seen what appears to be that set of photos (like in "U2 by U2") but the particular photo of Bono alone is not there.

So sadly, I just have my memory. To summarize, my memory says:

1. Bono alone
  2. Bono in an overcoat
  3. Bono appears to be walking in photo
  4. B&W photo
  5. JT era
  6. Photo taken in the woods - possibly near a river
  7. No hat
  8. Appears to have been taken with other photos that are similar
  9. Bono may be wearing the same overcoat as on the JT cover

I may have asked this in PLEBA once before, but came up empty. I'm hoping one of you has an idea of what appears to be that photo. My memory may have the place wrong (for example, the photo is not in a wooded area) but if all the other elements match, please post this photo. I will be forever grateful! And if you know of where to get that poster, then :love: :hyper::bow::yippie::cabbagepatch:

Thank you so much! :hug:

803550365_c3LPG-O.jpg

772330426_2sirB-O.jpg

755525157_syLVj-O-1.jpg

:hmm:
:up:?
:down:?

These are all great photos and thanks for responding! :up:

The first photo is out as it's a close-up. This was a distant shot. With that in mind, the third one is closest to my memory. I seem to recall the picture of him looking down like that, but it's on an angle. That is, if we are looking at him, we'd see his left side. And all of Bono was shown, not part of him (as he is cut off in each of these pictures).

But again, memory... :scratch: I could be wrong in what I recall (as I only saw the poster twice). It just seems that haven't seen that exact picture yet. However, these are definitely in the right timeline and maybe even group of pictures.

That top one may be it (or coming close to it). For some reason, my memory seems to recall more woods and even a river, but that could just be faulty memory. But if you have more like this, mayber one of them is it.

Thank you so much for helping! :love:

That top one may be it (or coming close to it). For some reason, my memory seems to recall more woods and even a river, but that could just be faulty memory. But if you have more like this, mayber one of them is it.

Thank you so much for helping! :love:

No problem, I like looking for photo requests :)

:hmm: Do you think your memory might have been combining it with the other poster that you mentioned? (the color one. I actually own that one too!)

I will keep my eye out for it for you. Sorry I didn't find anything else tonight!

My memory recalls Bono looking down, his hair loose (not pulled back into a tail) and more distant. Bono also was more middle of the frame than on the periphery.

However, you are right in that my memory may be combining shots (perhaps some that weren't even Bono!). It has been at least 15 years. But I know it was in black and white (not color) which is representative of that era anyway (like all the JT era publicity photos). If the pics you have shown me are about it, then maybe one of them is this poster. And that's the key - were any of the above shots ever sold as a poster? I have hunted for this poster over the years and never saw it again. :(

Yeah that's the color "evil" one he said it isn't :giggle: It's a bizarre photo choice for a poster. I have it, but have never put it up!

doctorwho: I don't know if I've ever seen a poster like you describe, but of course it doesn't mean it didn't exist. Plus maybe it wasn't an official U2 poster and maybe something that was done by a magazine or store.

doctorwho called it evil, which is why I LOLed. He does look a bit like a creeper lurking in the woods there I guess :wink:

Yeah that's the color "evil" one he said it isn't :giggle: It's a bizarre photo choice for a poster. I have it, but have never put it up!

doctorwho: I don't know if I've ever seen a poster like you describe, but of course it doesn't mean it didn't exist. Plus maybe it wasn't an official U2 poster and maybe something that was done by a magazine or store.

Yes, that poster is the "evil" one. LOL! I have it too and never put it up. I'd probably have nightmares. ;)

I agree, maybe this poster wasn't "official" or was very random. Or maybe my memory has twisted one of the photos already shown. But I thought I'd check here and see what you all find. :)

Hey! Back on topic! I'm expecting results! :sexywink:

:hmm: Funny but last night I actually did go on another search for you. I didn't come up with your poster, but I saw this one on ebay. I was thinking it might have been another that added to your mixed up memory. :wink: :hug:

u2jtposter.jpg

:hmm: Funny but last night I actually did go on another search for you. I didn't come up with your poster, but I saw this one on ebay. I was thinking it might have been another that added to your mixed up memory. :wink: :hug:

u2jtposter.jpg

Hey! My memory isn't THAT bad. ;) That said, if the women of PLEBA cannot find the item from my memory, then clearly time has distorted it.

I can see one of the other pics possibly being the poster (namely the one below). I do recall it being B&W and the other band members were not in it. For some reason, I recall water (like a little stream), but that part may be my "mixed up memory".

Thank you everyone! :applaud:

755525157_syLVj-O-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom