Popmart at Kmart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's an American expression...like, "Yeah" or "Got Ya"...basically ur just saying "palabra".

MAN FERNANDO! We just can't seem to understand each other on this thread. :lol:

I just said Word...just to say Word. Sometimes I use it at the end of a conversation! I DON'T KNOW! LOLOL

POPCON3.jpg

I took these two photos, btw. :wave: I was there! And a fun time was had by all. :D

Okay... :reject: Yeah, I do agree that we're not understanding on this side of the road but please.. calm down. :reject:

Ah...I'm perfectly calm...

I agree: Those r super cool pics, Bono actually looks pretty good in those yellow shades LOL but Larry was owning it

I like the yellow shades too, they would look ridiculous on anyone else but
he as usual can have every kind of shades.
Pop artist , wow how cool was that!

Yeah, he can pull off alot of crazy shades...I wish he continued wearing aviators, I always thought those looked the best of on him (C cover of ZOO T.V Sydney)

I think the idea of playing in K-Mart was to "sell themselves" to the public. (Or so Edge said. I think...)

Yeah, they kind of became a "consumer product"... But isn't that against everything they stood for?

I don't know...:huh:

Wasn't it meant to be ironic and a parody of the consumeristic society of the time? :shrug:

Correct, Total U2 Nut. :up:

I thought it was one of the most brilliant U2 moments ever - full of humor & heavy underlying commentary about the state of music & society at the time.

Plus, Bono in the Ladies' Lingerie Department is bound to attract all sorts of attention for a new LP or CD ! :wink:

It Came in at #10 on a list of the "15 Worst Music Ideas"

10. U2's Blue Light Special

Q: What's funnier than mocking your American fans for their mindless consumerism?
A: Their refusal to buy your stinkin' products.

U2 announced the crass spectacle known as the PopMart tour -- with a stage boasting a massive McDonald's-like golden arch -- at a Kmart. Said Bono, smug in a black leather jacket and tinted sunglasses, "It costs a fortune to look this trashy." The CD was the band's worst-selling in 14 years, and, despite U2's plan to sell out, many tour stops did not.

LOL

So did this bright idea:

6. NetAid

Whether or not Bono can save the world, the U2 frontman's charity single with Wyclef Jean, 'New Day' -- which, after its 'TRL' debut, never charted again -- wasn't enough to save the train wreck that was NetAid. In 1999, the U.N. and Cisco Systems cashed in on the multi-city festival moneymaker, tapping "hip" artists like the Eurythmics, the Corrs and Bryan Adams to perform as part of a live Internet webcast. The Web site racked in only 2.4 million hits, humiliatingly short of the anticipated 1 billion.

Aww...well, despite these two mishaps...I think it's safe to say that U2 has had a pretty good run, eh?

"Rufusal to buy your stinking products?"

Not so sure about that. Most 'fans' did buy the album and the tour tickets. It is the casual music fans, the ones that went in the past as their friends did and it was the cool thing to do/the event of the Joshua Tree or ZOOTV tours... those are the ones that did not.

"The album and tour didn't sell out?"
The album got great reviews, at first. Then after the debacle of opening night of Popmart, all of teh sudden the press were talking bad about both the album and tour. One needs to only see the Live in Mexico City DVD to see that while the first few dates may have been rough - the majority of the shows were great.

Chart positions and sales
Country Peak position Certification Sales

Australia 1 Platinum [11] 70,000+
Austria 1 Platinum [12] 30,000+
Brazil Gold 50,000+
Canada 3x Platinum [13] 300,000+
Finland 1 Gold [14] 32,952+
France 1 Platinum [15] 300,000+
Germany Gold [16] 100,000+
Netherlands 1 Gold [17] 40,000+
Norway 1 Platinum 40,000+
Poland Gold [18] 20,000+
Switzerland 1 Platinum [19] 50,000+
United Kingdom 1 Platinum [20] 300,000+
United States 1 Platinum 1,000,000+

No it didn't sell as much as The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. But 10million selling for any artist is an exception and not the rule. "Somedays are better than others".

NetAID = Clusterfuck. On TV it looked like a rehearsal, the stadium was so empty. But that is hardly Bono's fault.

Maybe it was a joke directed at the U2 fans?

WHATEVER, who really cares.

Back
Top Bottom