PLEBAn Misc U2 News and Articles #1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
<Why is that symbol there? Can't make it GO AWAY!

Seriously? :ohmy: I didn't knew this one.

Yeah! He applied to this one school...and they sent him back to repeat his Senior year!
At least...thats what I thought he said...
and he wanted to become an actor...

LOLO

I could so picture that, he's mighty good at accents

Yup. They sent him back because he could not speak Irish Gaelic. It was a requirement for graduation in Ireland back when he was a student. Apparently, the only one who speaks it well is Larry.

I think it's pretty funny that the band that has:
1. Adam, who was kicked out of TWO high schools,
2. Bono, who failed senior year and had to go back,
3. Edge, who actually graduated properly,
4. And Larry, who took one of the two certificates (At least, this is what I remember reading, I could be wrong) and left school to work at about 16 or so

are considered barometers of intelligence for their fans.

This, to me, is priceless. I was right to be influenced by U2! They're smarter than your idiot rappers! So there!

Yeah! He applied to this one school...and they sent him back to repeat his Senior year!
At least...thats what I thought he said...
and he wanted to become an actor...

LOLO

I could so picture that, he's mighty good at accents

Yeah, he actually attended university (I think National University of Ireland) for 2 weeks (he recently said 2 days though, so who knows...why does Bono LIE? :wink: ), where he was going to do an Arts degree in English and History. Then the school found out he had flunked Irish at Mount Temple and thus falsely matriculated. They kicked him out and he went back to Mount Temple to repeat a year, then in Edge and Ali's class.

Yeah, he actually attended university (I think National University of Ireland) for 2 weeks (he recently said 2 days though, so who knows...why does Bono LIE? :wink: ), where he was going to do an Arts degree in English and History. Then the school found out he had flunked Irish at Mount Temple and thus falsely matriculated. They kicked him out and he went back to Mount Temple to repeat a year, then in Edge and Ali's class.

^There we go! Okay, thanks for clearly that up!

BONO BUYS A ROUND
March 16 2009

_000today.jpg

While in Dublin working on our show from Ireland, our staff had a chance to share a drink with one of the biggest rock stars in the world.

Bono bought a round of Black Velvets (Guinness and champagne) while telling us about Ireland and the band's new album.

He just happened to be passing through our hotel and while I think most of our conversation was off the record, I hope it is fair to share that his favorite song to perform live from "No Line on the Horizon" is "Breathe."

Thank you, Bono for the warm welcome and proof that Ireland is a magical place where anything seems possible.

"The people we meet will not be drowned out."

Bono buys TODAY a round - allDAY - msnbc.com

Gary Oldman and Bono Hate 'The Perfect Sleep'

March 16, 2009

_000sleep.jpg

We've gone so long without solidarity among Gary Oldman, Bono, and mixed-martial arts star Bas Rutten that I'd started to wonder if it would ever happen. Until now, that is! Finally a cause has emerged that the bad guy from Fifth Element, the singer of The Sweetest Thing, and a professional puncher/strangler can get behind: fake-hating the new film The Perfect Sleep even though none of them are in it. And just to prove the like-mindedness of their fraternity, there's a video:

YouTube - Gary Oldman Hates "The Perfect Sleep"

Here's the film's trailer, if the pseudo-anger piqued your interest:

YouTube - The Perfect Sleep trailer

Mar 16 2009Gary Oldman and Bono Hate 'The Perfect Sleep'More: bas rutten, bono, crime, gary oldman, movie, noir, perfect sleep, video, viral

We've gone so long without solidarity among Gary Oldman, Bono, and mixed-martial arts star Bas Rutten that I'd started to wonder if it would ever happen. Until now, that is! Finally a cause has emerged that the bad guy from Fifth Element, the singer of The Sweetest Thing, and a professional puncher/strangler can get behind: fake-hating the new film The Perfect Sleep even though none of them are in it. And just to prove the like-mindedness of their fraternity, there's a video:

Here's the film's trailer, if the pseudo-anger piqued your interest:

Regardless of the film's content, we can all agree that "the perfect sleep" is probably a day-long coma, right?

I Watch Stuff - Gary Oldman and Bono Hate 'The Perfect Sleep'

BONO HAS A BLACKBERRY??

March 16, 2009

A question inspired by this week’s news that Research in Motion (RIMM), the company that makes the BlackBerry, has become the chief sponsor for U2’s next bombastic world tour: Who exactly is profiting from this deal? U2, like most big rock acts, has never been shy about taking corporate lucre, but it usually allies with companies that it claims share its change-the-world vision–the prime example being RIM’s rival Apple (AAPL). In 2004, Steve Jobs dedicated the first special-edition iPod in U2’s honor; the 20 GB black-and-red model sold for $349, and U2 agreed to make some of its music available exclusively on iTunes. In 2005, Bono defended the deal with Apple by saying that the company shared the band’s creative spirit. “Selling out is doing something you don’t really want to do for money. That’s what selling out is. We asked to be in the ad,” he told the Chicago Tribune. He added that Apple is “more creative than a lot of people in rock bands. These men have helped design the most beautiful object art in music culture since the electric guitar. That’s the iPod. The job of art is to chase ugliness away.”

Bono Has a BlackBerry? | Farhad Manjoo | Voices | AllThingsD

u2'S BONO I'M OVERPAID

_OO0P.jpg

Plus singer slams illegal downloading

March 13 2009

U2's Bono has slammed illegal
music downloading but has admitted that he is "overpaid".

The singer claimed that he was taking a stance against file sharing to stand up for musicians less well-off than himself, rather than trying to protect his own considerable wealth.

"People think people like me are overpaid and overnourished, and they're not wrong," he told USA Today. "What they're missing is, how does a songwriter get paid?

"It's not the place for rich rock stars to ask for more money, but somebody should fight for fellow artists, because this is madness. Music has become tap water, a utility, where for me it's a sacred thing, so I'm a little offended [by illegal downloading]."

Bono went on to predict that illegal file-sharing would be cracked down on for good when the film and TV industries find themselves in a similar situation.

"The music business has been thrown to the dogs legislatively," he said. "[That will change when] file-sharing of TV shows and movies becomes as easy as songs. Somebody is going to call the cops

U2's Bono: 'I'm overpaid' | News | NME.COM

looking for articles and quotes?

Hi All!

I was wondering if you could point out where I could look for articles and or quotes about the guys talking about the Clayton home back in the day.

I've been looking for the source of a quote from Adam saying something about his dad always liking being away from the family, even to this day he still tends to just go off on his own.

I could have sworn it was in U2 by U2, but I been through it cover to cover and I'm not finding it.

or if there is an archive online that I could go to , that would be great too!

thanks alot!

You bought him in 2000, you forked out in 2005, now it’s time to dip in your credit crunched pockets again. Fresh from our toy-factory in the People’s Republic of Tallaght, we present to you our latest 12-inch action figure: EMO BONO!

_emo-bono2009.jpg

EMO BONO has a fully articulated body with 30+ points of articulation. Authentic likeness of the Irish frontman of U2, dressed in trademark slimming black undershirt, black leather jacket, black pants. EMO BONO wears black 2-inch-creepers for that extra ‘elevation’.

Comes with two interchangeable sunglasses, a working (RED) credit card, a replica green Gretsch guitar, and water-soluble liquid eyeliner in two colours: black and blue. Make him up as you go along!

EMO BONO is available from U2log.com for only $9,99.
Special discount for U2.com members, just $12,99!

*previous versions you might remember :D

_0promobono2005.jpg

Searching through our archives provided some clues that would lead to the whereabouts of our little limited edition friend.

At first we thought he might have been sold on eBay. But that was an imposter. Another story claimed Promo Bono was seen at a garage sale, a pricetag firmly tied to his cuban heels. We were afraid we may have lost him forever.

Then we were contacted by [name withheld], a long time fan who found Promo Bono in the attic of the house of an acquaintance who used to work as a lightning rod engineer. Strings were pulled, nails were chewed and after many weeks arrangements were made for Promo Bono’s return to his makers. We were glad to have our prodigal son back in our hands. Even if he looked a bit rough.

After major plastic surgery on the scalp, a complete make over and some tight new shrinkwrap, we were able to conduct a short interview with the recovering Promo Bono.

U2log.com: It’s good to see you again, Promo Bono. Where have you been?
Promo Bono: Besides that attic you mean? Around the world and back again. I got eaten by a wolf, my staff have been lobbying for me to become Monopoly banker and I am pursuing this clothing designer gig with my wife. Have I told you she’s extraordinary?
U2log.com: Many times. Now, you’re turning 45 this year. What would you like for your birthday?
Promo Bono Well…
U2log.com: Excellent choice, you got it.
Promo Bono: Actually, I want some ventilation holes in this shrinkwrap. These jeans are starting to ming and I’m starting to get itchy feet.
U2log.com: Perhaps it’s time for you to get up on stage. Anything else you’d like to ask us?
Promo Bono: Where is the love? No, scratch that… where’s my Plastic Promo Band?
U2log.com: (Sigh) Promo Bono, as usual they are waiting for YOU to walk through the room. How do you feel about going out on tour again?
Promo Bono: Live is where we live, to borrow a phrase of Larry’s. I can’t wait to hear what these new songs are like live. The Edge is falling in love with the guitar again, see, and we’re ready to reapply for the job.
U2log.com: Sounds familiar. Still, we can’t wait! Thanks for taking time to speak to us.
Promo Bono: Thank you. Now, tell me, what exactly is an iPod?

*Lets not forget the first version :D

_0promobono.jpg

It doesn’t take long for the merchandising to kick in. Meet the limited edition doll made especially for the release of All That You Can’t Leave Behind: Promo Bono

From U2.com:

All That You Can’t Believe At All - And Something You Can

It’s called Promo Bono and media outlets around the world are claiming this promotional puppet of the U2 singer has been sent to ‘VIP reviewers’ of the band’s new album.

Well, we didn’t get one. And, on closer investigation, turns out no-one else did either.

The spoof was sparked by a tongue-in-cheek item on fansite U2log.com - complete with image of said doll - which claimed that if you pulled a cord on the back of the pint-sized puppet, it would respond with soundbites such as “let’s bite the arse of the pop charts” and “they’re boys, we’re men”.

The doll was allegedly inspired by a comment made by Bono at an Australian press conference in 1998. When asked whether the band planned to market action figures of themselves, he replied: ‘They’re actually in the factory mating with the Spice Girls dolls and they haven’t made it onto the High Street.’

*And of course U2 is not a band without the rest of the bandmembers :D

_0promoedge.jpg

_0promoadam.jpg

_0promolarry.jpg

The wait is over! The resounding worldwide success (including an unlikely appearance at U2.com) of Promo Bono (Built: Zero; Distributed: Zero; Profit: 0.00) prompted the engineers in U2log Toys’ workshop to complete the roll call. For a purely limited time we bring you the remaining promo dolls.*

http://u2log.com/2009/03/16/son-of-promo-bono/

little toy Sullen Mullen to play with... and make him do whatever you want... interesting :hmm:

Thanks Cecy for all the new articles

Yo are Very Welcome Laura ;)

*Glasvegas to support U2 at Hampden*

Mar 18 2009

BONO has asked Glasvegas to support U2 on tour.

The rock giants are set to play three stadium dates this summer with the Glasgow band - Dublin's Croke Park on July 24, Glasgow's Hampden Park on August 18 and Cardiff's Millennium Stadium on August 22.

Now Glasvegas have revealed the Irish frontman got them on board after shedding a tear over one of their ballads.

It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry - about guilt and regret and being unfaithful - featured on their self-titled No.2 debut album last year.

The four-piece blogged: "After saying in the NME last month that song is one of the best songs they've ever heard, U2 have specially invited us to support them on a number of their UK stadium shows."

Singer James Allan added: "We were in LA and somebody phoned and said Bono was in a magazine talking about us.

"I was surprised."

Glasvegas have also been asked to support Brit and NME winners Kings Of Leon's arena tour this summer, with three dates at London's O2 and two at Manchester Arena in June.

U2 begin their European tour on June 30 in Barcelona.

They visit 14 cities, including Gothenburg, Amsterdam, Paris, Nice, Dublin, Chorzow, Berlin, Milan, London, Sheffield, Glasgow and Cardiff.

Their other support includes Elbow, Kaiser Chiefs, Snow Patrol and Black Eyed Peas.

Get tickets from Friday.

-U2 Scores New Hit Album: No Line on the Horizon-

U2's new album, No Line on the Horizon, debuts at Number One on this week's Billboard 200 chart (week ending March 21). The band's seventh album sold 484,000 copies its first week of release in the United States.

On June 30, U2 will kick off a world tour in support of No Line on the Horizon in Barcelona, Spain. North American shows begin in September.

The following is a comment taken from Amazon's No Line on the Horizon U2 album page.

"I agree with pretty much everybody else. This album is pretty awesome. I think after one has listened to it for the first time, they need to listen to it again. I wasn't excited when I checked out their new album on their myspace page. Being a U2 fan for life, I bought it anyway, and decided to give it another listen. It could be said that maybe this album needs to grow on you. Magnificent and Moment of Surrender are two beautiful really beautiful songs. I like pretty much every song on here, but boots. But I can understand why that was their single. It is the most radio friendly. This seems to be a song full of great songs, but they are definitely not radio friendly (but who listens to the radio these days anyway?)

"I also think u2 should be given a lot of credit for trying to do something different, unlike most mainstream bands. I know u2 -- or at least bono -- gets a lot of crap because of his politics, but that shouldnt discredit the music. This is a great album, and if you like u2, there are some great songs on here."

U2's sales down, still No. 1

By JOHN WILLIAMS
Senior Editor, JAM! Showbiz

It was a bittersweet win for U2 on the Canadian album charts this week.

The Irish rockers captured the top spot once again, despite seeing sales of their latest effort "No Line on the Horizon" drop by 67 percent.

U2's numbers reached just over 21,000, down from the 65,000 they sold last week, according to data compiled by Nielsen SoundScan.

Their entry last week achieved the best first-week sales this year to date.

Two new entries challenged U2, but ultimately fell short -- Kelly Clarkson's "All I Ever Wanted" came in at No. 2 with 14,000 in sales, and Johnny Reid's "Dance With Me" premiered at No. 3 on sales of 13,000.

The new debuts sent Lady GaGa's "The Fame," Nickelback's "Dark Horse," and Jason Mraz's "We Sing, We Dance, We Steal Things" all down two positions to No. 4, No. 5, and No. 6, respectively.

Rounding out the top 10 was Kings of Leon's "Only by the Night" at No. 7, Mario Pelchat and Michel Legrand's self-titled disc at No. 8, Dede's "A Travers Les Brumes" at No. 9, and Taylor Swift's "Fearless" at No. 10.

In the U.S., Kelly Clarkson debuted in first, followed by The-Dream's "Love vs. Money" came in second, U2 in third, the J. Holiday's "Round 2" in fourth, and Taylor Swift in fifth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom