PLEBA Misc U2 News and Articles #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And another one here
Andrea Corr marries stockbroker - Yahoo! News UK

Andrea Corr's wedding to stockbroker Brett Desmond has transformed an Irish village into a celebrity-watchers' paradise.

The singer kept Brett Desmond and a star-studded guest list that included Bono and golfer Padraig Harrington waiting a nail-biting 30 minutes.

And at risk of breaking wedding etiquette, the U2 frontman almost stole the show as he pulled up with wife Ali in a sleek Italian Maserati sports car.

Singing sensation Andrea, a chart-topper with her family in the late 1990s, waved to hundreds of cheering fans as she calmly strolled into St Joseph's Church in Miltown Malbay, Co Clare.

Hundreds of fans stood outside the church, snapping the arrivals, including comedian Patrick Kielty.

Andrea shot to stardom in the 1990s with her sisters Caroline, Sharon and brother Jim with the group The Corrs, releasing several hit singles.

The couple are notoriously private and their wedding plans were a closely guarded secret. But it didn't deter hundreds of locals and fans.

The service lasted around an hour and when the happy couple emerged they kissed for the waiting public, who then swarmed the church grabbing flowers decorating the aisles as mementoes of the day.

The couple were whisked out the gates but Andrea rolled down her window as she left, smiling and waving to adoring locals.

Bono earned almost as much attention as he drove away, with four security guards having to flank his luxurious Maserati car to keep the crowd at bay. Rumours are rife the U2 frontman is providing some of the entertainment at the luxurious Doonbeg Hotel and Golf club before he jets to Cardiff for the next leg of his band's 360 tour.

Bono driving :ohmy: Bet he left a trail of distruction behind him :lol:

The service lasted around an hour and when the happy couple emerged they kissed for the waiting public, who then swarmed the church grabbing flowers decorating the aisles as mementoes of the day.

wow. I can imagine what it must have looked like... :yikes:

If guitar heaven exists, it's 'Loud'
Michael Ordoña, Special to The Chronicle
Friday, August 21, 2009

As documentary filmmakers go, Davis Guggenheim is a rock star. He won an Oscar for directing Al Gore in "An Inconvenient Truth" and he's married to the beautiful, Oscar-nominated actress Elisabeth Shue. But on this day, he's happy to be the roadie.

To his left in a conference room at the Beverly Wilshire, under a ragged mop of black hair, sits Jack White. One of today's boldest and most intriguing musical figures, White is best known (so far) as half of the White Stripes. And to his left is enthroned a silver-maned lion from the Olympic pantheon: Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page.

White begins by asking mischievously if The San Francisco Chronicle is still printing Zodiac ciphers, as the filmmaker and the elder statesman laugh. Once assured none has appeared in years, he explains why he agreed to be in Guggenheim's "It Might Get Loud" with fellow guitar gods Page and the Edge of U2:

"I liked the idea that he didn't have a definite idea of what he wanted to do. It could have been some bad Guitar Center instructional video or something," says White with a sneaky laugh, in the rapid speech of a highly gifted child whose thoughts outpace his words.

"Or it could have gone one by one through all the Zeppelin albums, the U2 albums, etc. But we wouldn't get any depth about how these people are attacking the instrument, or how any guitar player should take a fresh look at attacking their instrument."

The documentary contains jaw-dropping archival footage of the artists, as well as revealing reminiscences of their earliest experiences with music and moments of discovery.

"Davis came to London and outlined this idea he had about one's approach to the guitar," says Page, who terrified his share of parents with all those rumors of occultism in the '70s. Now he speaks in quiet, measured tones with the confidence of a gentleman who can still summon lightning bolts at age 65.

"His grand design was to start with just the two of us, interviewing on tape, to get to know each other, just to get a feel for it. Those two aspects of it, opening up the door that way - and then Jack, who I'd sort of met a little bit, and the Edge; I thought this could be a really interesting chemistry."

Guggenheim's film runs full speed from music-movie cliches. There are no overdoses, no tales of insane rock 'n' roll excess; just the rarest of glimpses into the artistic furnaces burning within these three renowned guitarists with completely different styles. At its best, the documentary captures a hint of the creative spark.

"I think Jack has said, and it's pretty smart, that the guitar is a MacGuffin in the film," says Guggenheim of trying to express something ineffable in a six-stringed theme. "The guitar is a reason for us to sit and talk, but it's really about what that spark is. That's the thing that drew me in, but then you shouldn't talk about it."

Like many musicians, Page and White prove reticent to describe personal hinge moments, even ones captured in the movie.

"Watching it objectively, there are many revealing moments (about myself) that I noticed. I'm not going to tell you what they are," says Page, matter-of-factly. "But I feel the others have some wonderful moments in respect to that: Revelations, aspects of their characters being revealed that you didn't know beforehand.

"As far as Edge goes, his approach to his work ... he's like a scientist in his laboratory, working away on soundscapes."

Declining the opportunity to slag the missing member of the triumvirate (the Edge is touring with U2), White happily refers to a scene in which the three jam on a Zeppelin classic: "I like watching Edge playing slide guitar on 'In My Time of Dying,' too; it showed his relationship to the blues. You can see it in some of his songs, like 'Even Better Than the Real Thing' or 'Bullet the Blue Sky.' All three of us have different slide techniques; it was great to see us playing slide together. That's one of my favorite parts."

"Yeah, because it's unlike what you think about the Edge," adds Page. "Suddenly he's improvising a solo, and he's playing it really, superbly well."

The movie contains a number of mind-blowing moments for fans, such as Page spinning the 45 of Link Wray's "Rumble" and playing air guitar with it, or White, onstage with the Raconteurs, tearing into a solo so single-mindedly he's unaware his hand is bleeding.

"I remember afterwards, at the end of the show I saw all that (blood) and I thought, 'Well, they happen to be filming ... good thing they didn't come the night before!' " He laughs, then adds: "Those things happen when you're really pushing yourself extremely hard. Some singers collapse ... things like that happen."

The guitarists need no pushing, however, to assess each other's work.

"There's no doubt in my mind that the guitar solo in 'Whole Lotta Love' is some of the greatest notes ever played on the guitar," White says. "I put that up there with Blind Willie Johnson, 'Dark Was the Night.' I think there's just an incredible amount of intensity in those, whatever it is, 15 seconds that will stand the test of time, forever."

Page says, "As far as Jack's work, it's evolving all the time. It's fascinating, it's marvelous, marvelous. I've got the utmost respect for what Jack has done, what he's doing. He's what live music is all about."

As White bows his head in what looks like embarrassment, Page adds, "That's it, that's inspirational for everybody." {sbox}

It Might Get Loud (PG) opens Friday at Bay Area theaters.

To see a trailer for "It Might Get Loud," go to links.sfgate.com/ZHSL.

Jimmy Page

Born: Jan. 9, 1944 (Heston, England).

Why we care: This brilliant guitarist has written some of the greatest riffs and ripped some of the most searing solos in rock 'n' roll (see also: "Heartbreaker," "Stairway to Heaven," "The Ocean" and many others) and is a groundbreaking producer whose innovations include reverse echo (as in "Whole Lotta Love") and recording the drums for "When the Levee Breaks" in a mansion's tall entrance chamber to achieve that song's famously apocalyptic sound. Two-time inductee into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (with the Yardbirds and Led Zeppelin). Ranked No. 9 on Rolling Stone's list of Greatest Guitarists of All Time.

Resume builders: Led Zeppelin is one of the biggest-selling acts in music history, with more than 100 million units sold in the United States alone. The band's fourth album, with a title made up of symbols, is still one of the Top 15 worldwide, with more than 37 million copies sold. His non-Zeppelin output includes the Yardbirds, the Firm and two collaborations with Zep singer Robert Plant. Before the Yardbirds, Page was a sought-after session guitarist. Even he is unsure how many records he played on, but among them: Van Morrison and Them's "Here Comes the Night," Dave Berry's "The Crying Game" and the Bond theme "Goldfinger."

Quotable: On the Guitar Hero and Rock Band video games, Page said: "There've obviously been overtures made to Led Zeppelin, but for instance, if you start with the first track on the first album, 'Good Times Bad Times,' and you take the drum part, what John Bonham did there - I mean, how many drummers in the world can actually play that, let alone Dad on a Christmas morning? There might be a lot of alcohol consumed over Christmas; he's still not going to get it."
Jack White

Born: John Anthony Gillis, July 9, 1975 (Detroit).

Personal: Youngest of 10 children.

Why we care: The creatively restless White is a driving force behind at least three bands: The White Stripes (a two-piece outfit with ex-wife Meg White, whose surname Gillis took when they married), the Raconteurs and the Dead Weather (primarily as drummer). Started own label, Third Man. Ranked No. 17 on Rolling Stone's list of Greatest Guitarists of All Time.

Resume builders: Has released six White Stripes and two Raconteurs albums, plus one with his new outfit, the Dead Weather. Has collaborated with Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones, Alicia Keys and Loretta Lynn (whose White-produced "Van Lear Rose" won the Grammy for best country album), among others.

Quotable: On laying down Son House's "Death Letter" for the second White Stripes disc, White said: "We recorded that song in our living room, and when we finished, Meg had this scary look on her face. I went, 'What?' I was just waiting for the hiss to die down. And when I turned around, there was this drunk man standing behind me who had wandered into the house! (laughs) It took me about a half an hour to get him to leave. (more laughter) Always lock the door when you're recording."

(c)Hearst Communications, Inc., 2009.

It's a beautiful day as Bono and the boys make it to Andrea's wedding

U2 put 360 tour on hold for a more important engagement

Herald.ie, August 21, 2009
By: Lisa Marie Berry​

Blushing bride Andrea Corr received an extra special wedding gift when close friend Bono made it to the Church on time.
There had been fears that the U2 frontman would not be able to attend the nuptials of Andrea and Brett Desmond because of work commitments -- but the singer pulled out all the stops to ensure he was there for her big day.
U2 are currently wowing British fans on the UK leg of their 360 tour and a source explained that Bono faced a "very tight window of time" to make it from the wedding in time for his next concert performance. The band were due in Sheffield tonight.
However, Bono was determined to make the celebrations and all members of the band have jetted in for Andrea's big day.
Today is a double celebration for Bono who also celebrates his 20th wedding anniversary with Ali Hewson.
"He's delighted that he is able to make it," said a source close to the band.
And Andrea's brother Jim revealed: "All the members of U2 are coming."
But he added: "I read that Bono might be performing -- it's the first I have heard of it."
And he added the family has no plans to perform.
"I'd say I'll be launching into a couple of pints at the bar.
"We will be taking a day of from work. After all, it is the last girl in the band to get married."
Jim said he could not be happier that his beautiful little sister is marrying one of his best friends Brett Desmond -- who is the son of billionaire Dermot Desmond.
He said: "I've known Brett longer than Andrea. He's a very good friend and is such a lovely guy."
Last night, the wedding party was brought to the Church in three Mercedes.
Andrea beamed for waiting cameras and she and her husband-to-be had a dry run for their big day.
Security
However, well-wishers and celebrity spotters look set to be disappointed, with massive security in place to keep the happy couple and their guests away from prying eyes.
However, locals in Miltown Malbay are smitten with the couple, with one local saying: "They were all absolutely lovely, no airs or graces, and she (Andrea) looks lovely."
The blushing bride rolled down her window to accept congratulations from a group of well wishers that gathered on the Church grounds.
© Herald.ie, 2009.

Bosnians eject St Bono

By Donal Lynch
Sunday August 23 2009

First of all, the idea that Bono has to have a passport to go anywhere
is, frankly, ridiculous. Jesus wouldn't need a passport and neither
should St Bono; who else would be walking around an airport in broad
daylight in platform shoes and pink wraparound shades? It has to be
Bono -- wave him through.

Still, the news that those Bosnians may strip the U2 front man of the
passport they gave him 10 years ago is a provocation up with which we
should not put. The North Koreans saying Hillary is thick was mild by
comparison. If we still have an embassy there, we need to shut it down
in a huff and turn it into some sort of U2 shrine where Miss Sarajevo
is played on a continuous loop. Maybe then they will remember.

Because, make no mistake, it was Bono who solved the whole Balkans
conflict. Yes, Clinton belatedly tried to shake some sense into them
with a few bombs, but, if it hadn't been for a certain collaboration
between U2 and Pavarotti, nobody would be going on holidays to the
Balkans now.

A video featuring a beauty pageant (so poignant) was always going to
be more effective that the threat of some war crimes tribunal.
Frankly, making Bono the president of the country would have been more
appropriate than some measly passport.

But whatever decision they reach we have to respect it. And by
"respect" we mean "bear it very much in mind when the Bosnians are
trying to become full members of the EU". Because not treating Bono
like the god he is is an attack on democracy and should not be
forgotten. Just saying

Glasvegas support U2: "It's overblown, pompous rock'n'roll and it's
amazing"

Aug 22 2009 by Gavin Allen, South Wales Echo

GLASVEGAS have had a year like no-one else and the Glaswegian gloom-
rockers are capping it off by realising a dream.

"We were all such big U2 fans growing up that playing with them is
mad," says the band's guitarist Paul Donohue.

"When we supported them in Dublin it was the first time I'd ever seen
them live and I thought, we are so privileged."

Although the band were famously on the dole while writing their self-
titled debut album, Glasvegas have had to get used to that privileged
feeling in the last 18 months, having been nominated for the Mercury
Music Prize and hand-picked by Bono for this occasion.

"I think we've learned to take everything in our stride," says Donohue.

"There are still big surprises every day, but we have learned how to
handle those a bit better, because to be honest we are still learning
to adapt. We have gone from being on the dole to this.

"What has been hardest to handle is the travelling, particularly the
European festival circuit. At one point we did eight consecutive days
in different countries. Until then we didn't realise how in-demand we
are."

But supporting U2 guarantees the focus will be off Glasvegas and they
couldn't be happier because, as Paul says, "The best thing about this
tour is we get to watch U2 four times.

"The stage is the greatest thing I've ever seen. It's got four big
legs, looks like a giant spider, and it's got a platform to get around
the crowd.

"It's U2 man. It's overblown, pompous rock'n'roll and it's amazing!"

From atu2

The Daily Record reports that a football game scheduled to take place at Hampden Park tomorrow has been canceled because the ground's surface was damaged too significantly during the U2 concert Aug. 18. The pitch will need to be re-laid prior to upcoming matches between teams that may play in Scotland's World Cup.

One associate is quoted as saying that after the concertgoers departed, the field looked "as if someone had ploughed it to plant turnips."

But hey—they can't blame the field damage entirely on fans. The wet weather helped too!

From atu2

The Daily Record reports that a football game scheduled to take place at Hampden Park tomorrow has been canceled because the ground's surface was damaged too significantly during the U2 concert Aug. 18. The pitch will need to be re-laid prior to upcoming matches between teams that may play in Scotland's World Cup.

One associate is quoted as saying that after the concertgoers departed, the field looked "as if someone had ploughed it to plant turnips."

But hey—they can't blame the field damage entirely on fans. The wet weather helped too!

:lol: i helped cause that ooops!

Hagley doc shares the stage with U2
August 24, 2009
Stourbridge News

A HAGLEY doctor who volunteered for charity had the night of his life when he ended up sharing a stage with supergroup U2 on the final night of their European tour.

David Nicholl even sang along with Bono to the group's The Streets Have No Name in front of more than 40,000 people at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium on Sunday night.

David was invited on stage as part of a moving tribute to the Burmese democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi and along with 99 others wore a mask of her face.

David said: "The atmosphere in the tunnel as we waited to go on stage was exceptional with the noise of the band and so many fans in the stadium.

"Then one of the volunteers at the front of my line got stage fright, and I ended up being put in as his replacement and that meant I would be going centre stage.

"We walked on in line, activists from ONE, Amnesty and Greenpeace with masks of Aung San Suu Kyi over our faces."

Belfast born David added: "I then turned to face the thousands of the fans in the audience, it was an emotive moment, as I thought Bono was behind me - we were two Irish activists done good, but only one of us can sing, thank God!

"At the end of the song, I walked off stage to the first few bars of Where The Streets Have No Name and sang a bit of it, it simply could not get any better than that."

David had gone to the concert as a volunteer for the anti-poverty action group ONE (www.one.org), the group which Bono had helped set up in the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease - particularly in Africa.

David, a consultant at City Hospital, Birmingham, said: "I spent the afternoon with almost 30 ONE volunteers gently badgering U2 fans to sign up to ONE by giving me their email address.

"It was hard work but great fun as a way of meeting fans from all across Europe - Portugal, Hungary, Malta and even my own hospital - and then sweet talk them into joining an international lobby group to keep the pressure on the politicians over their promises in relation to the Millennium Development Goals, HIV and malaria."

But as a reward for his hard work David and his fellow volunteers were given front row seats.

He said: "It was an unbelievable concert, the best I have ever seen, and it was 27 years in coming for me because as a youngster in Belfast someone asked me to go and see this new band called U2, and unbelievably I said no!

"But I finally got to see them in the end, and to share a stage with them was incredible."

© Newsquest Media Group, 2009.

Rolling Stone
August 25, 2009

U2's Music Becomes Centerpiece of Florida Church's Sunday Service

Many superfans compare listening to their favorite band to a religious experience. A church in Florida is taking that sentiment to the next level by introducing its congregation to a Sunday service that features the music and lyrics of Bono and Co., reports Twenty Four Bit. The rockin' First United Methodist Church of Pensacola, Florida will host the U2charist -- a play on the word Eucharist -- which includes U2's "One," "With or Without You" and the service-opening prayer of "Beautiful Day."

The debut U2charist in Pensacola took place August 23rd at First Methodist. The U.S. Episcopal Church first developed the U2charist in 2003, and the service was first conducted in Baltimore, Maryland, in April 2004. The celebration of U2's music has since since spread worldwide, arriving in Pensacola last weekend. "It's definitely something different," First United's Rev. Geoffrey Lentz told the Pensacola News Journal. "But U2's music is so deeply spiritual that I think the corporate worship setting is the perfect place for it. It's exciting for the oldest Protestant church in Pensacola to have a cutting edge worship service." Lentz added that the U2charist appeals to a younger audience, and an average of 200 people attend the Sunday service.

Churches who hold the U2charist do not have to pay licensing fees for using U2's music on the condition that the church donates any money raised by the service to charities benefiting the Millennium Development Goals, to which Bono is an ambassador. After completing the European leg of their 360° Tour, U2 will take inspirational songs and the church of "the spaceship" overseas for a North American tour that kicks off September 12th in Chicago.

© Rolling Stone, 2009.

U2 ready to play, but so are the Giants; local tour dates changed over football, religious holiday

By Jim Farber
Daily News Feature Writer

U2 has had to fiddle with the date of one of its two huge concerts coming to Giants' Stadium next month.
The show originally planned for Friday Sept. 25th will now be moved up two days, to Wednesday Sept. the 23rd.
The band's other Jersey date (for Thursday Sept. 24th) will remain the same.
Religion and football necessitated the change.
The Giants decided to move up their playtime for that Sunday (Sept. 27th) by three hours, due to the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur, which begins that night.
Since it takes two days for U2 to dismantle its gigantic stage, they wouldn't have enough time to vacate by Sunday afternoon had they kept the Friday date.
"The show is incredible, but physically it takes time to load in and out," says Arthur Fogel, promoter of U2's "360 Degree" tour.
Tickets originally sold for Friday will be honored for the Wednesday date. Those needing refunds can get them starting Friday Aug. 28th at point of purchase

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/2009/08/27/2009-08-27_u2_ready_to_play_but_so_are_the_giants_local_tour_dates_changed_over_football_re.html#ixzz0PPz0fxNt

U2 Lend Coldplay Their Private Jet

Perhaps this was Bono’s way of apologizing for calling Chris Martin a “wanker” and a “cretin,” or maybe U2 took David Byrne’s environmental criticism to heart and have decided to jetpool, but U2 appear to have no problem sharing their “biggest band in the world” spotlight just a tad. In a blog post on their official site, a Coldplay roadie revealed that U2 recently let the band borrow their “360 Air” jet when theirs was on the fritz:

In a superbly bizarre twist, the band have flown into their first stadium show of this tour on U2’s plane. Apparently, our regular ride is misfiring. I believe that the big end’s gone, or something like that. The easiest way to deal with this it seems, was to take U2’s “360 Air” jet for a spin. They’re doing UK shows right now, so it’s just sat about doing nothing otherwise.

I guess Chris Martin wasn’t kidding when he told 60 Minutes that Coldplay and U2 have to alternate when/where they go on tour. It’s nice to see some jetpooling, but not until Bono starts sharing his giant stage claw will I believe the feud is officially over

Jim Harrington: 'Loud' director quietly turns rock doc into gem

San Jose Mercury News, August 25, 2009
By: Jim Harrington​

Davis Guggenheim is best known for directing 2006's "An Inconvenient Truth," the Oscar-winning documentary that followed former Vice President Al Gore on his crusade to educate the public about the dangers of global warming.

Now, the 46-year-old filmmaker has switched topics in a major way, going from climate change to the electric guitar for "It Might Get Loud." The documentary, which opens today, tells the stories of three generations of fabled fret men — Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page, U2's the Edge and the White Stripes' Jack White.

While the movie is a drastic change of pace from "An Inconvenient Truth," it is consistent with the rest of Guggenheim's career. The director has handled a plethora of topics in a variety of ways through the years. A careful scan through his resume suggests it's about the same distance to leap from Gore to guitarists as it is to go from "Melrose Place" to "A Mother's Promise: The Barack Obama Bio Film."

"I follow what's interesting to me," Guggenheim says during a recent stop in San Francisco to promote "It Might Get Loud." "I see something that I'm really fascinated with and I go there. I probably should be more calculated about what would be good for my career, but I'm not."

Interestingly, the director isn't a big fan of the music-documentary genre.

"I think most music documentaries suck," says Guggenheim, who lives near Venice Beach in Los Angeles with his wife, actress Elisabeth Shue. "They don't get underneath the music. They are always about car wrecks and all the girlfriends. Or they are about how 'this band came out of the studio and changed the course of rock history' — just all platitudes.

"Maybe I'm going to swing and miss. But I'm attempting to go deeper than that."

The director certainly takes a novel approach to telling the stories of three men with one shared passion. He avoids rehashing the usual gossip — such as Led Zep's infamous love for wild parties and White's colorful, confusing romantic life — and keeps the focus strictly on the music.

Viewers get to know each of the three, but only in ways that relate directly to their work as guitarists. Through separate interviews, as well by "eavesdropping" on conversations among the three, we hear why they were drawn to the instrument in the first place and, more significant, what drove them to play the way they do.

Now, there are thousands of famous guitarists — and hundreds of really good ones — that Guggenheim could have picked. The decision to cast Page, the Edge and White, he says, was "totally intuitive. ... I just loved them. And Jimi Hendrix wasn't available."

It helps that each has a startlingly different story to tell, beginning with the pre-fame background checks — we learn Page was a disenchanted studio musician in London, the Edge a curious schoolboy in Dublin and White a soul-searching furniture upholsterer in Detroit — and continuing with their musical mission statements.

The latter elevates the project into a film that explores three separate, intriguingly conflicting artistic visions.

Page, the Edge and White are considered among the best guitarists in rock history. Each earned that distinction in a different way: Page's meaty leads defined the term "guitar god" in the '70s; the Edge embraced technology and effects, earning the designation "sonic architect" in the '80s; White borrowed from such masters as Son House and Blind Willie McTell to create a new form of blues rock in the late '90s.

"U2 was originally a punk band that came up in opposition to everything Led Zeppelin represented," Guggenheim says. "Jack doesn't like all that electronic (stuff). He doesn't like all that layering. He's trying to find a way to make music sound raw again."

When they get together in the film, though, the three somehow wind up on the same page. Perhaps that's because, more than anything else, "It Might Get Loud" is a love story — showcasing three legends who can still get giddy at the sight of a new ax being taken from its case. For the Edge and White, that giddiness turns to awe whenever Page, the group's elder statesman, picks up the guitar and begins to play.

"They sort of melt," Guggenheim says. "You see them on camera and they sort of transform into boys. They watch Page and it's like they are saying, 'How does he do that?'"
(c) Mercury News, 2009.

Bono recalls terrifying day police shot at him
Saturday, 29 August 2009

A terrifying incident in which Bono and his family were shot at by
police in Jamaica has been recalled in a new book.

The U2 singer, his wife Ali and their children Jordan and Eve, then
aged just six and three, were lucky to escape with their lives after
100 rounds of bullets were fired at them.

They had flown into the Caribbean country on an Albatross World War
Two seaplane for a holiday in January 1996.

But as they were landing authorities mistook them for drug smugglers
and fired a hail of bullets while the family was disembarking.

The plane was hit at least seven times.

Bono said at the time: “I don't know how we came through it.

“These boys were shooting all over the place.

“I felt as if we were in the middle of a James Bond movie — only this
was real.

“It was absolutely terrifying and I honestly thought we were all going
to die.

“Thank God we were safe and sound. My only concern was for their safety.

“It was very scary, let me tell you.

“You can't believe the relief I felt when I saw the kids were okay.”

The incident has been recalled in a new book, Stop The Press: An
Inside Story Of The Tabloids In Ireland, written by journalist John
Kierans.

Bono, Ali and their children dived for cover fearing they were about
to be killed, but miraculously survived unhurt.

Bono was so shocked that he and his family left Jamaica and flew
straight to Miami, Florida.

'Joshua Tree' still burns with U2's unforgettable fire
August 28, 2009

Welcome to the Blade blog Culture Shock, a three-times-a-week riff by
Pop Culture Editor Kirk Baird on pop culture news, events, and trends.
The blog will appear Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings here, with
the odd night or off-day posting if something is merited.

Like most U2 fans, I discovered the band in the mid-’80s thanks to a
heavy diet of the band’s videos on MTV.

Songs like “Sunday Bloody Sunday,” “New Year’s Day,” and “Pride (In
the Name of Love)” from the albums "War" and "The Unforgettable Fire"
made U2 popular. But it was the band’s 1987 release, “The Joshua
Tree,” that made U2 a rock-and-roll icon.

The commercial appeal and critical heft of “The Joshua Tree” —
arguably the best album produced from any artist or group that decade
— changed the band. Just like The Beatles were never the same
post-“Sgt. Pepper,” Pink Floyd was irrevocably altered with “Dark Side
of the Moon,” and Radiohead’s “OK Computer” meant the band would
forevermore wrestle with worldwide popularity, U2’s “The Joshua Tree”
yielded lofty expectations the band has struggled to meet.

Studio masterpieces tend to do that to musicians.

It hasn’t helped U2's situation that it was coronated “World’s Biggest
Rock Band” by music scribes, fans, and even the band. That kind of
hubris may look good in print, but such boasting presents a large red
target for the cynics who have grown weary of U2's righteous anger, as
well as those younger, hungrier bands itching to lay claim to the
title themselves.

And now, with U2's latest album, “No Line on the Horizon,” an
ambitious mess of unrealized potential that may prove to be the best
cure yet for insomniacs, I've found myself losing interest in the
band, too. That is until the other day, when I bought a remastered
“The Joshua Tree” CD and I fell in love with U2 all over again.

“The Joshua Tree”’s hits are numerous and memorable, but it's the
record’s deep cuts, like “One Tree Hill,” “Exit,” and “Mothers of the
Disappeared,” that make the album so compelling and musically
thrilling. Thematically, “The Joshua Tree” remains U2’s most
accomplished record, as its music flows gently from track to track.

From the majestic opening of “Where the Streets Have No Name,”
through the angry guitar and vocal angst of “Bullet the Blue Sky,” to
the mournful closer “Mothers of the Disappeared,” "The Joshua Tree"
remains a towering testament to the power of U2.

It's also a poignant reminder of why, more than two decades after the
album's release, U2 still matters.

Exclusive: Glasvegas - We're desperate to win Mercury Prize.. because
we're bad losers

Aug 28 2009 By Rick Fulton

GLASVEGAS admit they are "really bad losers" and want to win the
Mercury Music Prize.

They are up against acts including Florence and The Machine, La Roux,
Kasabian, Friendly Fires and Bats for Lashes for the £20,000 prize,
which is announced in 12 days.

Preparing to play Leeds Festival today and Reading tomorrow, singer
James Allan admitted he isn't bothered by awards - until it comes to
the big night.

The Daddy's Gone singer said: "We're really bad losers - we want them
all.

"It's really sweet and it's really great if someone stops you in the
street and says they like your music, that's nice, too.

"But I think you've got to take a look at where you started and when
nobody knew you, apart from your mothers, and when the recognition
came only from yourself.

"You can't lose sight of that, even with all the awards stuff.

"It's nice, and it's not that I don't appreciate it, but I just can't
get too involved with it too much. When the darker days come, if you
rely on all that stuff then you're going to get really disillusioned
and uninspired. I don't really get too involved with competition."

Next month, Glasvegas will be in the US and Canada, supporting Kings
of Leon on 12 arena shows. The tour kicks of in Mohegan, Connecticut,
on September 9.

And following their successful stint supporting U2 at Wembley, Hampden
Park and Cardiff's Millennium Stadium, there could be more shows
opening for Bono and Co.

James added: "Those gigs were the best I've ever seen in my life, and
Bono's lovely.We all met them at the one time at Wembley and at Hampden.

"At Wembley I think I'd met all the band and the Edge was still
waiting to meet me. Bono came over and was really, really sweet. He
was saying lots of really nice things.

"But the Edge was still waiting to meet me and shake my hand and Bono
just kept on speaking.

"And I didn't know whether to say, 'Bono, one minute till I meet
Edge'. I didn't want to interrupt him.

"The Edge is like a wise owl. You know how with some people, when you
look in their eyes, there's a real warmth on their face. The Edge is
like that. He's just standing there, with this really cute smile. He
seems like a really warm guy. "

"The U2 thing was something I was really happy with but I'd like to do
more with them, maybe when they tour America next. Who knows?" After
the American tour, Glasvegas will get down to work on their second
full length album.

James added: "I think I want to make the most of it because I think
I'm going to miss the gigs."

While Glasvegas have cracked most European countries, it appears
Belgium and Austria haven't released their debut album.

James joked: "I should take it around in bags like Rodney Trotter -
bags of CDs."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom