PLEBA Misc U2 News and Articles #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From now being at Croke Park, I fully understand what the residents are complaining about. The stadium is literally in a neighborhood. There are house right behind it. I mean as in feet. Just picture your house and then having a huge stadium right behind your backyard.

I was shocked to see people sitting on street right in front of people's houses to line of for GA (in 2005). I can't imagine why anyone would want to live with the stadium practically in their yard. But on the other hand....don't you think the residents knew what they were getting into when they moved into those houses? I don't know how long the stadium has actually been there to know if people lived in the area first or not but still you'd think they would know the drill when a concert or sporting event is going on it's going to be hectic in the area and loud when the event is going on.

I understand they're upset, still I'd say the protest is not ok. They are punishing the band and the fans (if the stage isn't ready for the next tour stop in Gothenburg) for something the city council is responsible for. Doing this now means the deconstruction process and the noise is going to be prolonged. And it also has to be said that if you live in the surroundings of such a huge stadium you just have to be aware that there will be noise, dirt and crowds. They should have protested before the shows, not now, U2 have to keep their schedule with the stage construction and all, it's really not okay to let the anger out on the band and the fans.

And the concerts are bringing millions to the city of Dublin, mostly because of all the fans coming from everywhere in the world. In times of crisis I guess it's fair to say that they should be able to handle some noisy days.

What I find NOT okay are fans behaving like pigs, destroying property, pissing on cars or in gardens ... at least that's what I've heard.

BBC NEWS | Europe | Dublin protest could delay U2 gig

Dublin protest could delay U2 gig

_46121339_-9.jpg

U2 played three Dublin gigs at the weekend

People who live close to the Croke Park stadium in Dublin have begun a protest over what they describe as "intrusion" caused in the aftermath of three U2 concerts at the weekend.

The residents are angry that Dublin City Council have permitted continuous 44-hour works from midnight on Monday to dismantle the band's huge stage and then re-turf a pitch.

They picketed the stadium and blocked the exit of some lorries from 0100 BST on Tuesday.

U2 tour manager Jake Berry said the delays caused by the protest meant the trucks missed their intended morning ferry.

Schedule

An agreement was later reached to allow the trucks out of the stadium but Mr Berry said there could still be knock-on effects.

"It affects the tour schedule. Read that any way you want," he said.

"We should all not be talking to you and (should be) on a boat," Mr Berry, told reporters as several dozen residents protested beside three road junctions outside Croke Park.

Croke Park Area Residents' Committee spokesman David Purdue said that no one was "interested, in any way, in delaying U2 in any shape or form."

"This is primarily to get Dublin City Council and the Gaelic Athletic Association to take notice of us and recognize the damage they're doing to the local community," he said.

U2 has three "Claw" stages - one of which is being constructed, another being dismantled, and a third being transported or in use any given moment of the tour.

However, the band has just one sound and screen system.

The band is scheduled to perform in Goteborg, Sweden, on Friday and Saturday; Gelsenkirchen, Germany, on Monday; and Chorzow, Poland, on 6 August.

The residents are due to protest again this evening over a second night of work which is planned to lay a new pitch for the all-Ireland gaelic football quarter finals.

Croke Park Area Residents' Committee spokesman David Purdue said that no one was "interested, in any way, in delaying U2 in any shape or form."

"This is primarily to get Dublin City Council and the Gaelic Athletic Association to take notice of us and recognize the damage they're doing to the local community," he said.

Of course not. :|

I'm sure they're proud of themselves. They're possibly punishing the band and Swedish fans for something that is going on between these people and the city of Dublin. :doh:

And what exactly is that "damage"? Last time I checked fans from all over the world have been bringing millions to Dublin that past weekend.

I can see why they are mad

I can and I can't! If noise is such an issue A) WHY move there in the first place? or B) Move! People have choices :hmm:

I live near Heathrow, I live with the noise, but I can't live with the fact the Airport will soon be moving nearer to ME! On that account I agree with the NIMBY's out there :up:

If it is truly to protest about The Gaelic AA against Dublin CC, why use U2 to protest on? That's just pathetic IMO:huh:

And after Bono popped in to one residents home too! I hope Bono's OK :sad: :wink:

more than anything i hope the crew are ok, and don't feel they have to rush to get the stage ready, and as a result are more prone to accidents (i'm thinking of the terrible accident on the madonna tour recently).

I can watch it, but I cannot download it, otherwise I would have posted an alternativ link. Sorry you can't watch it. It's very short anyway.

I don't understand what they're saying but I think the pictures say it all.

:lol: Bono!

I just hope he's sober again tonight for show number 2. Otheriwise it will be an interesting concert :lol:

4.20, now that's the right time to go to bed for a real rock star. And there's Bono saying he doesn't party much anymore.

Who's the lady with him? The paper says it's Ali, but it isn't.

I was shocked to see people sitting on street right in front of people's houses to line of for GA (in 2005). I can't imagine why anyone would want to live with the stadium practically in their yard. But on the other hand....don't you think the residents knew what they were getting into when they moved into those houses? I don't know how long the stadium has actually been there to know if people lived in the area first or not but still you'd think they would know the drill when a concert or sporting event is going on it's going to be hectic in the area and loud when the event is going on.

I think you'll find that most sports stadiums in both Ireland and the UK are slap bang in the middle of residential areas, the Lansdowne Stadium where U2 played their Popmart show in Dublin is too. We too were lining up right outside peoples front gardens, and very nicely kept front gardens they were too! :D And surely, people moving to said areas should be fully aware of what to expect, unless you're totally out of touch of what big sports events/rock concerts will entail, which I find very hard to believe!! :huh:

So to me, it just seems like spitefulness to pull this sort of protest every time U2 try and play a concert in Dublin! :tsk:

I don't understand what they're saying but I think the pictures say it all.

:lol: Bono!

I just hope he's sober again tonight for show number 2. Otheriwise it will be an interesting concert :lol:

4.20, now that's the right time to go to bed for a real rock star. And there's Bono saying he doesn't party much anymore.

Who's the lady with him? The paper says it's Ali, but it isn't.

yeah it's true the article mentions ali though she's not in the picture, but it also mentions that the party is partly a 'tour-party' and partly a birthday celebration for one of the people working on the tour; i think that's the woman in the picture.

the article also says that u2 hired a male stripper for the party (i presume for the birthday-lady) and that they partied until late and seemed in great spirits, and apparently want to stay a day longer in sweden because they have so much fun there (or something like that).

the first newspaper's review of the concert is not that great. the reviewer thinks the concert got better as it went along (could perhaps have something to do with the weather?). the reviewer from the other paper is more enthusiastic, but he's definitely not a fan of 'get on your boots' ;)

that's it for now. maybe i'll clarify/translate even further later - again, if no one else does it first (meaning, i would prefer if someone else did it).

:up:The man is still partying big time, Awesome. I don't reconize the woman either, if you mean the blonde one.:huh:

No I mean the dark haired one, that's the one the newspaper is calling his "wife Ali". :lol:

The blonde one seems to be helping Bono out of the car, and he looks like he needs all the help he can get :D

I wonder why you don't see the other ones in the pictures.

:lol:Pissed as fart, I guess I missed them,
trying to study the language, it has some huge simalarities with english and dutch.
I couldn't watch the video either. It just went blank. My laptop is stopping me from having fun at interference.

I'll be away for work now! Need to cook to, I'm not around 'till about 10:00
goodbye Uni!:wave:

some more, again mainly Bono, but also a picture of Larry meeting fans outside their hotel

Bono m�ter fansen - N�je - G�teborgs-Posten

A paragraph of translation from the article - I'm not Swedish (Danish) but I do understand some Swedish:

(14.30, Elite Park Avenue. Bono is the first one out in front of the hotel, signing autographs for the fans. He tells GP's reporter that Friday night's show was the best so far of the tour even if it was very cold: "We were just warming up for tonight's show", Bono says).

Sorry for the late respond but Thankyou Bonocomet :drool:Droolworthy video's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom