PICTURE REQUEST: page # 74 OF "U2 by U2".

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
PICTURE REQUEST:

I need the a scan of page # 74 OF "U2 by U2".

(The picture is of Edge and his Explorer with the receipt for the purchase super-imposed over the picture)

Bigger the better. Perhaps a bigger / higher resolution version of this? I need one a bit larger if at all possible. Thanks again.

stuyvesant_receipt-1976_gibson-expl.jpg

He paid a pretty low amount for a guitar that will last him a lifetime! Nice score Mr. The Edge!:D:up: Now if only I could get a Gretsch Electromagnetic Hollowbody...:hyper:. I played one today and it is soooo comfortable and amazing. It's all I can think about now. Hopefully I can get a job soon so I can afford one. My application needs to go into that music store.:hmm:

He paid a pretty low amount for a guitar that will last him a lifetime! Nice score Mr. The Edge!:D:up: Now if only I could get a Gretsch Electromagnetic Hollowbody...:hyper:. I played one today and it is soooo comfortable and amazing. It's all I can think about now. Hopefully I can get a job soon so I can afford one. My application needs to go into that music store.:hmm:

G5122DC Electromatic Hollowbody - Double Cutaway is similar to a Country Gentleman

Gretsch? Guitars and Basses

THEN swap out the pickups with some TV Jones Classic's. They are more like the vintage Filtertron p'ups and better than the stock Electromatic p'ups.

TV Jones Pickups - TV Classic

That would give you a close to Gretsch Country Gent sound at a lower price than the $2400.00 for an actual Gent.

G5122DC Electromatic Hollowbody - Double Cutaway is similar to a Country Gentleman

Gretsch� Guitars and Basses

THEN swap out the pickups with some TV Jones Classic's. They are more like the vintage Filtertron p'ups and better than the stock Electromatic p'ups.

TV Jones Pickups - TV Classic

That would give you a close to Gretsch Country Gent sound at a lower price than the $2400.00 for an actual Gent.

I can already imagine how amazingly good that would sound.:drool::drool: I liked the sound of the stock pretty well so I would probably about die with those pickup's in it. The price ain't bad on those TV Jones.:D Well I now know what I'm getting this summer. What year is Edge's Country Gent? I want to say 64 but I'm not sure.

*thread successfully killed by me*

I can already imagine how amazingly good that would sound.:drool::drool: I liked the sound of the stock pretty well so I would probably about die with those pickup's in it. The price ain't bad on those TV Jones.:D Well I now know what I'm getting this summer. What year is Edge's Country Gent? I want to say 64 but I'm not sure.

*thread successfully killed by me*

To answer your question... then we can move any further 'gear crap' to the appropriate place as to not bore those that might not want to see/hear about all this gear nonsense.

=O)

Answer.... Edge has a few Gents.

There is the 1964. That one doesn't have a pickguard. That one was used for "City of Blinding Lights" (Vertigo tour) and "Magnificent" (360 tour).

Magnificent - NLOTH Fordham Univ.
YouTube - U2 - Magnificent Live Fordham University [HD - High Quality] Good Morning America

City of Blinding Lights - Brooklyn Bridge 2004:
YouTube - U2 - City of Blinding Lights (Live at the Brooklyn Bridge)

This one seems to be the one used for "Do You Feel Loved", "One" and some performances of "Last Night On Earth" during Popmart.

Do You Feel Loved? - Vegas Popmart
YouTube - Do You Feel Loved (Live From Popmart Las Vegas )

One - Vegas Popmart
YouTube - One (live from Popmart Las Vegas)

Last Night On Earth - Vegas Popmart:
YouTube - Last Night On Earth (live from Popmart Las Vegas)

The other (a 1967 or 1968) has a pickguard. I think that is the one Edge used for "Please" during Popmart. And it is the one used for "City of Blinding Lights" during the 360 tour.

"City Of Blinding Lights" - 360 tour:
YouTube - City of Blinding Lights, U2 Concert 360 Live at Giants Stadium, NJ (US) 23rd Sept 2009

I've got one too - I'm at work right now but I'll put it up for you in about an hour and a half when I'm home - I can't get to my photo gallery for the link from here...

~EF

To answer your question... then we can move any further 'gear crap' to the appropriate place as to not bore those that might not want to see/hear about all this gear nonsense.

=O)

Answer.... Edge has a few Gents. . .

E_O, I so :heart: it when you go all gear speak in
PLEBA; it makes me smile (which I unfortunately
haven't had a reason to do in a long while). :hug:

Yeah, i love the gear talk, anyone who doesn't like it has the right to bugger off into another thread.
Sorry but I love talking about guitars, amps , and pedals or racks.

How does Edge have his Explorer set-up?

SETUPS OF THE STARS: The Edge
Gary Brawer (Guitar Player / Mar2002 / Page #25)​

The 1976 Gibson Explorer The Edge bought new as a teenager was the first guitar he played in U2, and, for me, it is synonymous with the unique sound of its owner. The guitar has remained relatively stock. Gold Schaller tuning machines have been added, and the frets of the 16 radius rosewood neck have been replaced about three times with low and wide Dunlop 6130 fretwire. As the frets wear, they are leveled, rounded and polished to add some life between fret jobs.

Edge20Explorer203.jpg

The neck is quite straight, with only .005 relief. String height at the 12th fret is 6/64 on the treble side and 7/64 on the bass side. An interesting point about the nut height (measured as the distance from the bottom of the unfretted string to the top of the first fret) is that the treble strings are very low avout .005 above the first fret - but the A string rises up to .030 and the low E to .040. Dallas Schoo, The Edges long-time guitar tech, says the guitarist hits those bass strings quite hard, and they discovered the Explorer sounds best with the strings that high.

The Explorers pickups are kept lower that what I normally see 5/32 below the strings for the neck pickup, and 6/32 for the bridge pickup. The lower height means the pickups capture less bass, deliver less output and also produce a little air around the sound. In addition, The Edge has the tailpiece screwed down to the body possibly to gain as much sustain as possible from the guitar.

Schoo strings up the guitar with Ernie Balls (gauged .010-.046), and winds about two and a half turns of string around each of the post. He uses a mixture of hobby wheel lube and graphite to keep the strings from sticking to the bone nut.

Hobby wheel lube and graphite? How on earth did he make that up?
Fantastic! Is that a common trick or did he just came up with it one day ?

Hobby wheel lube and graphite? How on earth did he make that up?
Fantastic! Is that a common trick or did he just came up with it one day ?

Graphite is something I've known about for a bit. Not sure where I first heard about it.

Might be a trick that Dallas learned about and began using for Edge's guitars? Not sure.

Another thing that is helpful is Big Bends Nut Sauce. (Funny name, right?)

Big Bends Nut Sauce - no more tuning problems

:giggle: Wild thoughts escape, I wonder if Edge us... Yes. Funny name.

:lmao: DOOO IT! Sorry I nearly cacked off my chair reading that.
Casual conversation for the win.

Graphite is something I've known about for a bit. Not sure where I first heard about it.

Might be a trick that Dallas learned about and began using for Edge's guitars? Not sure.

Another thing that is helpful is Big Bends Nut Sauce. (Funny name, right?)

Big Bends Nut Sauce - no more tuning problems

:giggle: Wild thoughts escape, I wonder if Edge us... Yes. Funny name.

Next time I get a chance to talk to Dallas I will have to ask.

"So tell me Dallas, do you use nut sauce on Edge's guitars?"

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Those three posts right there!!!!:lmao::lmao::lmao: I am laughing so hard!:laugh: And yes I have some "nut sauce" used on my guits when I get them taken in to get setup. Mainly on the Les Paul. My Tele needs some work done. Haven't touched that thing in a few months.*shame*

Sorry that you've not had a good reason to smile in a long while.

Maybe this will help some?. . .

:hyper::hyper::hyper:
:D Thanks, E_O You're the best! :hug:

Next time I get a chance to talk to Dallas I will have to ask.

"So tell me Dallas, do you use nut sauce on Edge's guitars?"

:pray: Oh please, oh please let me be there when E_O asks
Dallas this. Just the initial look on Dallas' face will be
worth it. Then, of course, I expect him to get all tech-speak
and completely lose me about 2 minutes after he starts
talking, but I'd still love every minute of it.

:hyper::hyper::hyper:
:D Thanks, E_O You're the best! :hug:

:pray: Oh please, oh please let me be there when E_O asks
Dallas this. Just the initial look on Dallas' face will be
worth it. Then, of course, I expect him to get all tech-speak
and completely lose me about 2 minutes after he starts
talking, but I'd still love every minute of it.

Your right! this is at least worth buying a ticket to the US.

Your right! this is at least worth buying a ticket to the US.

I'm overdue for a Dallas chat. I usually get a chance to talk to him a few times each tour. Stadium tours the access can be a bit tougher. But I will look forward to chatting with him and asking about Big Bends Nut Sauce. :lol:

(Posted live from the Apple store in the Beverly Center)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom