Pic Request: Bono w/red or blue sparkle Gibson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Pic Request: Bono w/red sparkle Gibson ES175

gib-es175-red-popmart-3.jpg

AND - Pic Request: Bono w/blue sparkle Gibson Gibson ES175
normal_bono_45.jpg

Any others? Thanks in advance...

bonopopmart2-17-98perth.jpg

bonopopguitarback.jpg

bonopopredguitargibson.jpg

bonoredguitargibsoncloseup.jpg

Did he only have a sparkle finish or did he have another red one also? Because of the lighting I really can't tell if these are all sparkle or just cherry red.

Cool! do you have similar shots of other guitars? where are these from?

Sorry I don't. Except for the closeups we get of all the guitars they put up for auctions. And a few back stage and studio shots. Edge-0 might fill you in on where these came from.

These pictures originally came from Gibson Guitar site. They had a feature called "In The Shop". I don't think that feature is on the site any longer.

They were showing the damage and then after they repaired the damage.

Said damage occured 11/16/2001 in Oakland. If you might remember, Bono would play guitar along with Edge on "I Will Follow" during the 'Elevation'. During said tune, Bono kept looking over at Frasier McAllister (tech) and pointing at the bridge pickup of the guitar. Near the end of the song, Frasier was next to Bono trying to do something to the guitar. Bono was not happy. At the end of the tune, he took the guitar off, grabbed it by the neck, and slammed it against the corner of the drum riser, hence the picture with the gaping hoe.

If you listen to the bootleg of that show... a song or so later, Bono says something to the effect of "I'd like to apologize before you and God for my outburst".

That is why those that saw U2 in Las Vegas... and the shows after the Oakland show, saw Bono playing the Black ES-175 (w/ I Feel Good sticker) that he used for the ZOO tours instead of the red sparkle.

The good news? Seems that Gibson was able to repair the guitar. The bad news? Rumour has it that the red sparkle was one of the many instruments that were destroyed in the flood that occured at U2's Hanover Quay studio in early 2002.

Gibson-ES175-post_tantrum.jpg

Gibson-ES175-post_tantrum-repair.jpg

Bad Bono :tsk: Never hurt a guitar , they are frigging expensive enough, and you should be happy to be able to afford them anyway.

The Gibson ES-175 was red sparkle. And he had the Gretsch Chet Atkins (same one Edge had in the Night and Day video) that was also red.

Oh yeah I know the difference between the Gibson and Gretsch. I just wondered if the Gibson had always been sparkle, or if he possible had 2 of them, since it doesn't always look sparkle in the photos, but it's probably just the lighting like I guessed then, thanks :)

Oh yeah I know the difference between the Gibson and Gretsch. I just wondered if the Gibson had always been sparkle, or if he possible had 2 of them, since it doesn't always look sparkle in the photos, but it's probably just the lighting like I guessed then, thanks :)

It is probably the lighting.

As he went to the black ES-175 after damaging the red sparkle, I'm guessing he had only one of the red sparkle.

Thanks again for posting all the pictures. You are the Picture Queen.

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Anyone have any more of the blue sparkle? Seems it wasn't used as much; other than the handful of pictures posted and in Edge's hands in "Ground Beneath Her Feet" video.

Interesting that Edge has ended up with Bono's guitars in videos:
"Night and Day" = Bono's red Gretsch Chet Atkins
"Ground Beneath Her Feet" = Bono's blue sparkle Gibson ES-175
"Magnificent" = Bono's cadillac green Gretsch Country Club

WOw, I didnt think i've ever seen Bono playing this guitar Elevation era. what show/song is that during? was it a one-time happening when another guitar wasnt functioning properly?? based on Edge using the explorer in the same pics, i'm thinking maybe IWF as i do recall bono on guitar for that tour's performance.

EDIT: oh, i just read above post re:this

Back
Top Bottom