Pavarotti Tribute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaynejenjune

The Fly
Pavarotti to be remembered at Petra by Elton John, Bono, Celine Dion, Joe Cocker and Sting
Thursday 18 September 2008, by Corinne/Dead

See online : blogjordan

One year after his death, a series of programs commemorating Luciano Pavarotti will be held around the world, including a concert scheduled at the historical site of Petra, Jordan on October 11 and 12, 2008.

According to the Associated Press, the Petra concert will host some of the biggest names in music will take part in a charity concert “Pavarotti and Friends,” including Elton John, Bono, Celine Dion, Joe Cocker and Sting — all of whom have duetted with Pavarotti.

Reuters reports:

The tribute is the brainchild of Nicoletta Mantovani, Pavarotti’s widow and HRH Princess Haya, a fellow UN Messenger of Peace and daughter of Jordan’s late King Hussein. “A concert in Petra was a dream once shared by the late King Hussein of Jordan and Luciano,” said Mantovani. “I am so grateful to Her Royal Highness Princess Haya, for making it possible to turn this dream into a reality.”

The proceeds of the concert will support joint projects in Afghanistan by the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and the UN World Food Programme (WFP). A local charity supporting disabled children in Petra will also benefit from the concert.

this was posted on U2 France. .. what a show this will be for whoever is lucky enough to see it

Last edited:
EEEEK! Thank you for this!
grumpywave.gif

But Bono won't be there! Seems he will make a pre-recorded video tribute. It's written in the italian newspapers. I don't know if something changed.

I don't see why Bono shouldn't be there. I think it would definitely be a good event for him (and Edge, maybe even the whole band) to perform. After all, they were at Pavarottis's funeral in Modena. He shouldn't stay away because of the album, because they already skipped the Mandela tribute and the album was postponed after all, so this shouldn't be an excuse. I want to see them perform and hear Bono sing again, maybe even Miss Sarajevo. :heart:

I hope it will be broadcast on TV.

It would of course be great if he does appear there, but I believe it's true what LaraCroft said, I remember already reading somewhere that the pre-recorded video tribute has already been made. (or maybe planned)
And agreed, if that has changed now it would be great obviously!

I don't see why Bono shouldn't be there. I think it would definitely be a good event for him (and Edge, maybe even the whole band) to perform. After all, they were at Pavarottis's funeral in Modena. He shouldn't stay away because of the album, because they already skipped the Mandela tribute and the album was postponed after all, so this shouldn't be an excuse. I want to see them perform and hear Bono sing again, maybe even Miss Sarajevo. :heart:

I hope it will be broadcast on TV.

I guess that if he won't be there, it would be due to previous engagements.
at the press conference pavarotti's widow said he will be there through video connection from the other side of the world.
the organizator told they are still hoping to see him on stage though.
The italian TV will show prerecorded the whole concert. :up:

OK, thanks onekea, I thought it was just a rumour. Shame that Bono won't appear in person, but I at least hope they'll also show it on TV here. Do you know which station will broadcast it in Italy?

bono took part yesterday in the memorial in honour of pavarotti in petra, jordan, through a 5 minutes long video message addressed to pavarotti's little daughter, that has been reported to be the most touching moment of the event.
"dear alice, I'll tell you who was your dad. he wasn't just a singer of opera. he was the opera, and a big-hearted friend."
"he can't be categorized. he was at the same time expression of good singing, punk rock, winemaker, cheese eater, activist, actor, singer, performer and even a sexy man."
he also told about amusing events of his friendship with the maestro, ending his sincere epitaph saying "pavarotti had to sleep and eat before singing. that's why any time I went to visit him, I used to came back fattened."

the whole video will be broadcasted along with the concert of today on next wednesday on italian channel rete4 mediaset and the spanish channel tele5.

source: http://www.ilgiornale.it/a.pic1?ID=297464

Lovely words:heart:

Thanks onekea for sharing.:wave:

I checked tv listings here (NY) for the week - nothing comes up:angry::angry:
Was looking forward to seeing the whole tribute.

^ :hug:
I didn't report what he told about his friendship because hopefully you will be soon able to hear it from his beautiful voice instead through my stumbling english. :wave:

I was still hoping Bono would actually perform, either via video or in person. :|

Nice tribute, though, can't wait to see the video.

I saw a small part on Yahoo, Pavarotti's family and Sting being there, they also showed some of Sting's speech, nothing about Bono, though.

Back
Top Bottom