Need help: Bono's Iconography

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2fan003

War Child
Hey guys! :wave:

So I am working on a *big* painting which will be exhibited next April..

In this painting, there will be included Bono :hyper:, along with other rockstars.. And I am having difficulty about determining his Iconography (ie: what makes him look like Bono.. ex: which hair-style, shades' colour, clothes, etc..)

So, since next up to draw is our lovely man, I thought if anyone of you PLEBAns can suggest to me which aspects make Bono look like himself the most please?? Like, imagine a non-U2fan sees this painting, he has to recognize that it's Bono immediately.

I was thinking of making his hair like it was in the Live 8 concert, with red shades, and maybe a blazer with an open shirt :)drool:) and the rosary peeking behind the shirt on his hairy chest. :heart:

Would love to hear some suggestions!!
Thanks guys!! :hug:

Appreciate everyone's help!!

PS: I'm not going to tell what the subject of this painting is ;)

I will just leave you with a little curiosity now.. then don't worry, when I finish it and it's exhibited, I will post a photo here :D :wink: :hyper:
Sorry! :doh:

I'm having a little trouble making up my mind about this as well.:hmm: However that won't stop me from trying to help you. My idea is Bono from either The Joshua Tree era or Bono from Vertigo era. I think most people think of him with longer hair, shades, kind of fashionable clothing, etc.

I think the sunglasses are the most recognizable thing. :wink: And the rosary. It sounds like it's going to be an amazing art project!

For my generation of U2 fans, I'd say go for Elevation style Bono.
The blue Bvlgari shades were his trademark eyewear at the time I was about to become a U2 fan even though it changes a lot. In any event, the shades has to be in there, it is what everyone would recognize him for - slap on a pair of sunglasses, regardless of make and colour and you're Bono basically.

I think the last decade, when U2 regained their status as the world's biggest rockband and Bono's subsequent exposure in the media due to his increased activism is what younger people would recognize him from. "The not-so-hip dude with the glasses and the Africa issues." or whatever.
Thankfully, I've been spared from this kind of bullying the last couple of years so I wouldn't know if that's still accurate or not, but that's the general impression I get from people, especially the bashers.

Just do a search on Youtube for U2 Parody and you'll see.
He's portrayed as the guy with the shades even in parodies doing eras where he didn't wear any (The Edge clone seems accurate though?):
Might come off as a tad offensive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXlPU0TWMds

Have you thought about asking Bono's of various tribute acts? They might be able to give you a hint of how they try and replicate Bonoisms.

For my generation of U2 fans, I'd say go for Elevation style Bono.
The blue Bvlgari shades were his trademark eyewear at the time I was about to become a U2 fan even though it changes a lot. In any event, the shades has to be in there, it is what everyone would recognize him for - slap on a pair of sunglasses, regardless of make and colour and you're Bono basically.

I think the last decade, when U2 regained their status as the world's biggest rockband and Bono's subsequent exposure in the media due to his increased activism is what younger people would recognize him from. "The not-so-hip dude with the glasses and the Africa issues." or whatever.
Thankfully, I've been spared from this kind of bullying the last couple of years so I wouldn't know if that's still accurate or not, but that's the general impression I get from people, especially the bashers.

Just do a search on Youtube for U2 Parody and you'll see.
He's portrayed as the guy with the shades even in parodies doing eras where he didn't wear any (The Edge clone seems accurate though?):

Have you thought about asking Bono's of various tribute acts? They might be able to give you a hint of how they try and replicate Bonoisms.

I'm totally with U!Bono Elevation:up::heart:

Thanks to all!!

I thought of the Blue shades and Elevation era alot too.. But I think I prefer to make him wearing the red/orange shades because the person sitting next to him is going to be wearing blue, so I don't want the whole area to be alot of blue...

Thanks for the suggestion of asking the Bono lookalikes.. Will do!! :)

I thought of something looking like this overall:

484444.jpg

33b1zyr.jpg

(THIS hair certainly!! ^^ :cute::love:)

Africa yes, but the above photo to me kind of sums up his love for America and the impact he has had in the US post 9/11. If you discuss iconic Bono in the US, the American flag jacket is tops paired with the glasses.

Not knowing the topic of this painting it is hard to advise.

Will you be drawing only his face or the whole body? In the second case I'd recommend high-heeled shoes :lol:

What about a cowboy hat?

0c0cfe67.jpg

If you draw the whole body I suggest you draw him jumping

Andy_Willsher_U2_39.jpg

or with one of his typical stances with the microphone

87231135e.jpg

BD4.jpg

or crouching and opening his mouth really big

bonogreenglassessing.jpg

or may be making the peace sign

bonojeansnbootspeace.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

He's going to be sitting down, around a table (Sorry that's all I'm going to say! ;) )

I'm going to make him wearing his platform shoes :hyper: (Because his legs will be showing a little bit from under the table..)

No no the topic is NOT about either Africa nor America.... Something totally the opposite actually!

I'm just looking for the look basically at the moment..

Back
Top Bottom