Help indentifying picture.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2jesusgirl

Daisy
Dreaming Beneath the Desert Sky of Arizona
I just found this picture and I am wondering where it is from? I am guessing they are possibly the pictures Bono photographed while in Africa?? But not for sure. Obviously a photo exhibit....Any help/details is greatly appreciated!

photogallery-vi.jpg

Oh wait... now I'm not sure, I might have been thinking of something else!

Is this from that do you think?

bwbonoguggigavin.jpg

It looks like it is. He is wearing the same thing AND look at the lines on the wall behind them. They match in the top photo. same with that trim of wood on the wall. Looks like he is holding that same book too. It was blending into his outfit so much that I didn't even notice it.

THANKS COMET!!! :hug:

From Gavin Friday's site - I didn't come up the Liffey in a bubble - Gavin Friday - Official Site - Archive

A String Of Pearls

Bono chose to exhibit twenty-five of the photographs that he had taken in Ajibar, which is in Wello, a northern province of Ethiopia where he and his wife Ali had worked in a refugee camp in September 1985. He knew the photos were good and they needed to be seen, because they gave a different perspective on the trauma of the country and showed a sense of dignity and hope in the people. The photographs, the negatives of which were destroyed, cost 1,000 pounds each and all the money, including the sales of a book on the exhibition called A String Of Pearls went straight back into Ethiopia through Concern/World Vision, the relief organisation that had organised the visit. It was Bono's way of giving something back to the country he felt he had got so much out of. Bono: `At first, as we walked through the camp, we kept our eyes down and were so overpowered by the suffering we saw around us that I couldn't even take my camera out of its case. Weeks later, a different but more lasting impression set in of the beauty and strength of spirit of the Ethiopian people. It was then that I started taking photographs, not to deny the waste of human life that was and still is Ethiopia, but to make the people and therefore the tragedy real by bringing their sense of dignity back into the picture. In the end we received more from the Ethiopian people than we could ever give.'

Oh cool info there! ^ If I find more pics I'll post. I had looked to see if he was holding the book in the first pic too but also missed it the first time! I also never knew the negatives of the photos displayed had been destroyed.

Dion, all of the photos in Bono's "On the Move" book were also from this exhibit and part of his book of photography from Ethiopia "A String of Pearls".

Of special importance is the little boy on page 17 of "On the Move" as that was the little boy that Bono & Ali had to leave behind in that refugee camp and the little boy that Bono carries in his Heart for Africa to this day.

Gotta love Bono....:bono::heart::heart::hug:

I have that book. I love it. I thought about getting it signed in NYC 3 months ago, but brought my JT Vinyl instead

Back
Top Bottom