Freestylin' Friday: Quieter moments - The Edge w/Acoustic gtr.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
And now for the quieter (sort of) moments... The Edge with an acoustic guitar.

To get it started...

Here with Bono's Gibson Hummingbird
Gib-Hummingbird-Xxxx-red-Bono-1-1.jpg

Edge rocking the Gibson Pete Townshend SJ200 in San Jose at the Apple U2iPod launch
ipod26.jpg

bes_apple4.jpg

Playing "Stay..." on his tobacco finish Gibson SJ200
Edge_stay.jpg

Edgeonthebridge.jpg

Another shot with the tobacco finish SJ200 during the Vertigo tour.
Gibson-J200-Xxxx-tobacco-1.jpg

Taylor 710 dreadnought during the Elevation tour...
200120-20U220Elevation20Tour_2nd20L.jpg

Same Taylor 710 during Popmart. "Staring at the Sun" anyone?
Taylor-710-dreadnought-popmart-1.jpg

Sportin' the Taylor 814ce during the Vertigo tour.
200120-20U220Elevation20Tour_3rd20L.jpg

Here's another with Edge and his Gibson Pete Townshend model SJ200

SJ-200_2006-blonde-1.jpg

Here's a fun fact for the trainspotters. The Townshend has been used tuned to open E, for "Stuck In A Moment", which is not the original tuning used when he was playing it on the natural finish Fender Stratocaster during the Elevation tour.

So if you see Dallas bring out the natural finish Townshend, chances are they are playing "Stuck...". If you see Dallas bring out the tobacco finish SJ200, chances are it will be "Stay" (Or at least that is how things played out on the U2:360 tour, thus far)

This shot from Pasadena. Love that after all these years, they STILL seem to love one anothers company and just seem to be having such a happy time out there playing together.
DSC00291.jpg

Edge with his tobacco finish maple Taylor 714ce. Minneapolis MN, 2001.
mn-taylorsunbrust2.jpg

gawd , excellent ideo Edge_O I just lost my laptop (it died on me) so I can't post any pics. So I will just drool over yours :wink:

gawd , excellent ideo Edge_O I just lost my laptop (it died on me) so I can't post any pics. So I will just drool over yours :wink:

Sorry to hear about your laptop. Horrible. But enjoy the pictures. :D :up:

Off with the horns and on with the show...

I was standing in the same spot a month ago, whilst playing Dallas Schoo for Chas and The Joshua Tree when they played in Las Vegas.

9b4e31d3.jpg

Both Bono and Edge had black Washburn EA-40's that they would travel with. Presumeably to have one around should a song idea strike them. Also probably why Edge had his immediately available after the Vegas Joshua Tree show for the "I Still Haven't Found..." shoot.

Pics below seem to prove my theory as Edge had his Washburn at the ready whilst on a day off in New Mexico.
6faf6a7bzk4.jpg

31b01fa8.jpg

More Washburn? Here during the Zooropa tour with his Washburn EA-20. Similar to the one used for "Party Girl" on the Red Rocks DVD, this is it's younger brother. Seems Edge has gotten over Washburn acoustics, with then rarely (if at all) seen since the Zoo tours.

199320-20Zooropa20Tour2F1993-07-062.jpg

199320-20Zooropa20Tour2F1993-07--1.jpg

199320-20Zooropa20Tour2F1993-07--2.jpg

And more of the Taylors...

Taylor 714ce in Miami for opening night of Elevation... Is The Edge strumming at the speed of light? =O)
200120-20U220Elevation20Tour2F1s-2.jpg

And here in Minneapolis with 'that other guy'. =O)
200120-20U220Elevation20Tour2F1st20.jpg

I think that this one was from Portland Elevation
200120-20U220Elevation20Tour2F1s-1.jpg

Sorry to hear about your laptop. Horrible. But enjoy the pictures. :D :up:

Off with the horns and on with the show...

I was standing in the same spot a month ago, whilst playing Dallas Schoo for Chas and The Joshua Tree when they played in Las Vegas.

Both Bono and Edge had black Washburn EA-40's that they would travel with. Presumeably to have one around should a song idea strike them. Also probably why Edge had his immediately available after the Vegas Joshua Tree show for the "I Still Haven't Found..." shoot.

Pics below seem to prove my theory as Edge had his Washburn at the ready whilst on a day off in New Mexico.

I know , its all fun when it works , but when it doesn't ....
I always liked those guitars. Whats the price range of them if you'd like to get one now? are they still in production?

And yes, theory proved :lol: I can see that man having a guitar under his bed.

He used one for second too :heart: One of my favorite War songs.

He used one for second too :heart: One of my favorite War songs.

Indeed, the Washburn EA40 and later the EA20 were the acoustic of choice for The Edge from the early tours through to the Zoo tours. So yes, Party Girl, Seconds, Stay...

I've got a black Washburn EA20. I got mine in 1997 as a gift. Looks like the one that Bono had in the "With Or Without You" video.

They are made differently than 'back in the day'. Sadly, the Washburn stuff is not so good these days and probably a reason that Edge doesn't use them live, and if used in the studio, he's using his 1980's to early 1990's models.

Hardly for the quieter moments and while technically an acoustic guitar... The Edge used his Line 6 Variax 700's in a VERY electric fashion during Vertigo tour performances of "The Fly" and "Love and Peace". The Line 6 Variax 700 acoustic modeling guitar is a fun beast. It digitally models/mimics various vintage acoustic guitars.

Again, Edge used them in a very electric way and has jokingly commented that the guys from Line 6 where caught off-guard seeing how HE uses their guitars.

Not to drip too much guitar stuff on anyone, as some don't appreciate that, I will get back to the pictures! :up:

200520-20Vertigo20Tour2F2005-06-142.jpg

U2-2005-06-25-035-Edge.jpg

35-87169-size2.jpg

200520-20Vertigo20Tour2F2005-11-052.jpg

200520-20Vertigo20Tour2F2005-07-272.jpg

200520-20Vertigo20Tour2F2005-06-192.jpg

200520-20Vertigo20Tour2F2005-04-212.jpg

200520-20Vertigo20Tour2F2005-04--1.jpg

061116d1-9723.jpg

061116d1-9702.jpg

edgevertigoguitarLukasBiba.jpg

And you can say much , but the girls dig the Glitter/sparkle and red/black swirl finish.

And to get back on one of the post , yes they have so much joy!
I remember Bono once saying : Our fans want to see us enjoy ourself and having a good time. Or something like that. And when listening to that. I just nodded my head, and tought : So true.
More Variax here

13320-69335-size3.jpg

16070-1261749893-size2.jpg

Don't know about this one , looks like a gibson hummingbird to me , but who am I.

And you can say much , but the girls dig the Glitter/sparkle and red/black swirl finish.

:lol: I was just about to comment about how much I love the glittery one! Thanks for sharing these pics (and info!), Edge_Orchestra.

Great thread idea E_O! I was planning on making the Freestylin' thread when I got home from work today, but you beat me to it! Good thing too, since I hadn't thought of a theme yet. :wink:

I want to make an avatar out of this soon,
02vertigoguitar.jpg

Ok, apparently I don't have many pics of Edge playing an acoustic :reject:

Since you're giving class, Edge_O, why the pieces of tape on the Washburn?

13320-1270474626-size3.jpg

Seems there were issues with the bridge coming up at the edge's, no pun intended. The Support Local Musicians is one way to tell the difference betweend the EA40 (older) Washburn and the EA20 (used during the Zoo tours).

While the both the EA40 and EA20's came with a piezo pickup in the bridge, Edge went a step further having the Lawrence soundhole pickup installed.

Piezo pickups alone, in an acoustic can sound a bit tinny and shrill. They don't pick up the body sound of the guitar. Hence, the soundhole pickup. You get more body to the sound.

Piezo's being thin in sound can be good to get definition but not a full sound.

Many acoustic electrics made today, certainly the more quality models, have a piezo in the bridge and another mic-type pickup inside the body. Taylor has a "blender" EQ system where you can use the piezo, the internal mic or blend in the sound of both.

Think of it as having a woofer and tweater, like a speaker (for highs and lows) and hence a blend of full spectrum of tones is available.

That said, some of the under saddle/bridge pickups but LR Baggs are far better than the piezo's of yesteryear. The LR Baggs systems are in the Pete Townshend model SJ200 (used on acoustic performances of "Stuck in a Moment...") and in the Goodall acoustic that Edge is seen playing on the acoustic version of "Sometimes You Can't Make It..." on the DVD included with the HTDAAB deluxe edition.

Speaking of Goodall acoustic... while not used live, Edge has apparently used it on albums. He did use it in the deluxe DVD acoustic performace of "Sometimes You Can't Make It..."

Goodall-acoustic-1.jpg

"Sometimes..." (acoustic) Bono with his Irish Falcon, Edge and his Goodall.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMaf5te2XAw

Pricey but nice. 100% quality and craftsmanship. I played one at Guitar Center recently. Daddy Like, DADDY LIKE!!!!

I think that Edge's is the Rosewood Grand Concert w/cedar top, curly koa binding, slotted MOP fretboard diamonds, gold Gotoh tuners w/ ebony buttons.

rgccedarlg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom