Freestylin' Friday: A Man And His Guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The neck on Rickenbacker's are thinner than most guitars. They are great guitars, easy to play and sound fantastic.

052205_Philly02.jpg

The Edge's Rickbenbacker's are 12-strings. I heard that Dallas bought him a few Ric 6-strings at Chicago Guitar Exchange a few years back but I have not seen him use one nor have I seen any pictures of him using one.

Ric 12-strings guitars have a unique appearance. They might initially appear as 6-string due to the tuning head configuration. Looking at it head on, one sees the tuners for 6-strings. Three facing up and three facing down. That said, there are SIX that are facing the back of the neck, like on a banjo.

Headstock_Rickenbacker_330-12-strin.jpg

The other unique thing about Ric 12-strings is the string position. A 12-string is essentially a 6-string with a second smaller octave string next to the low pitch (bigger string) 'E', 'A', 'D' and 'G' strings. So the main 'E' has a higher octave 'e' next to it, etc. Except for the 'B' and (high pitch / smaller) 'e' string - which have unison strings. So the 'B' has a 'B' of the same pitch and size. And the (high pitch / smaller) 'e' string has an 'e' of the same pitch and size.

That said, MOST 12-strings have the octave string ABOVE the root note/main string. Rickenbacker has the octave string BELOW the root note/main string - as they wanted to have their electric 12-strings to appeal more to standard 6-string players (Per The Rickenbacker Book by Tony Bacon)

Ric's are pricey and the price are going up. But they are great and worth saving for! One could buy new but one can get decent deals on Craigslist and Ebay too. Obviously, buyer beware when buying guitars on an auction site or online. Good news with Craigslist is you might find someone near that has one that you can drive over/bus over/train over and play the guitar FIRST before buying, which is ideal when possible.

Difference between The Edge's vintage Rickenbacker's and newer Rickenbacker guitars? There are a few. Notice that The Edge likes then from the mid-1960's. First Ric was a 1967. The fireglo Ric used for "Sometimes..." [during the Vertigo tour] was from 1965 or 1966.

[Guitar World 2005 feature called it a 1965 but the recent Music Radar article mentions (2) 1966 Fireglo Rics - Dallas was the source for the GW and Music Radar articles so why the difference? I'm uncertain]

The mapleglo Ric, used for "Mysterious Ways" the past two tours is from 1967. [Although Dallas said this one was from 1966 in the GW article from 2005].

The fact is, Rics from 1964 through 1968 were pretty similar - the the exact vintage from them in that 'era' is not the most important thing.

There WAS a change in Rickenbacker guitars starting in 1969. In 1969, Rickenbacker began phasing in the use of a 24-fret neck vs. the 21-fret neck that had been previously used on Rickenbacker's. Edge's are all of the mid-1960's / 21-fret variety.

Hope this has been helpful.

Ric-330-1966-mapleglo-20.jpg

103225484_47d57a76f5.jpg

2005_06_10_01_dscn0176.jpg

Dsc01082.jpg

Really? Cool! Great deal too. I'd love to have one [Rickenbacker] but they're a bit too pricey for me. Especially that Maple-Glo finish. Makes me :drool:. What's the neck like on yours? I need to try one out sometime as they seem like really great guitars. I'm talking 6 string here not 12. One more question, is Edge's Maple-Glo a 6 or 12 string?

EO... help please!!

Can you tell me which song he might be playing during this photo? I took this of him Toronto as he posed for me (yay!) and I'd really love to know for posterity. I'm sure that not only can you narrow it down, you can probably tell me in a second which chord he's playing, which is why I humbly request your assistance here, EEE :)

711582534_XACKf-X2.jpg

This one looks like it is from Toronto # 1 on 9/16/2009. The tune? As it is the tobacco finish Gibson SJ-200, it is most likely "Stay (Faraway, So Close!).

[Which is why I surmise that it is from the 9/16/2009 show]

The natural finish Gibson Pete Townshend SJ-200 is tuned to Open "E" has been used for "Stuck In A Moment..."

The sunburst Gibson SJ-200 has been being used for "Stay...".

711586125_3x2Pe-XL.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Looks like he's playing either "Unknown Caller" or "Walk On".

Both tunes were played at both Toronto shows. Did you go to both? And both, if memory serves, are the two tunes that he's using the 1975 Les Paul Clone

I am leaning toward "Walk On", I don't have a guitar here at work to sound out the notes on - But I will check it when I get home from work. :D

The guitar there, is the 'clone' that Gibson made of his 1975 Les Paul Custom; the 1975 being the one that he auctioned off at the 2007 'Icons of Music' auction]

EO... help please!!

Can you tell me which song he might be playing during this photo? I took this of him Toronto as he posed for me (yay!) and I'd really love to know for posterity. I'm sure that not only can you narrow it down, you can probably tell me in a second which chord he's playing, which is why I humbly request your assistance here, EEE :)

711582534_XACKf-X2.jpg

:wave: EO!

Yes, you are correct, that is the SJ-200 in action during "Stay" from Sept 16/2009 in Toronto. I do remember that one as the bridge stopped right in front of me and Edge performed the whole song RIGHT THERE, it was really special :) I was at both shows but had seats for the second one.

Here's a video my husband shot (I was too stunned to function).

YouTube - U2 - Stay - Toronto September 16, 2009

As for the mystery song, now that you've narrowed it down it HAS to be "Unknown Caller". It was taken prior to the "Stay" photo and since I was in the front row on the outer ring I wouldn't have been close enough to him during "Walk On".

Thank you again, EO... *bows*

The neck on Rickenbacker's are thinner than most guitars. They are great guitars, easy to play and sound fantastic.

052205_Philly02.jpg

The Edge's Rickbenbacker's are 12-strings. I heard that Dallas bought him a few Ric 6-strings at Chicago Guitar Exchange a few years back but I have not seen him use one nor have I seen any pictures of him using one.

Ric 12-strings guitars have a unique appearance. They might initially appear as 6-string due to the tuning head configuration. Looking at it head on, one sees the tuners for 6-strings. Three facing up and three facing down. That said, there are SIX that are facing the back of the neck, like on a banjo.

Headstock_Rickenbacker_330-12-strin.jpg

The other unique thing about Ric 12-strings is the string position. A 12-string is essentially a 6-string with a second smaller octave string next to the low pitch (bigger string) 'E', 'A', 'D' and 'G' strings. So the main 'E' has a higher octave 'e' next to it, etc. Except for the 'B' and (high pitch / smaller) 'e' string - which have unison strings. So the 'B' has a 'B' of the same pitch and size. And the (high pitch / smaller) 'e' string has an 'e' of the same pitch and size.

That said, MOST 12-strings have the octave string ABOVE the root note/main string. Rickenbacker has the octave string BELOW the root note/main string - as they wanted to have their electric 12-strings to appeal more to standard 6-string players (Per The Rickenbacker Book by Tony Bacon)

Ric's are pricey and the price are going up. But they are great and worth saving for! One could buy new but one can get decent deals on Craigslist and Ebay too. Obviously, buyer beware when buying guitars on an auction site or online. Good news with Craigslist is you might find someone near that has one that you can drive over/bus over/train over and play the guitar FIRST before buying, which is ideal when possible.

Difference between The Edge's vintage Rickenbacker's and newer Rickenbacker guitars? There are a few. Notice that The Edge likes then from the mid-1960's. First Ric was a 1967. The fireglo Ric used for "Sometimes..." [during the Vertigo tour] was from 1965 or 1966.

[Guitar World 2005 feature called it a 1965 but the recent Music Radar article mentions (2) 1966 Fireglo Rics - Dallas was the source for the GW and Music Radar articles so why the difference? I'm uncertain]

The mapleglo Ric, used for "Mysterious Ways" the past two tours is from 1967. [Although Dallas said this one was from 1966 in the GW article from 2005].

The fact is, Rics from 1964 through 1968 were pretty similar - the the exact vintage from them in that 'era' is not the most important thing.

There WAS a change in Rickenbacker guitars starting in 1969. In 1969, Rickenbacker began phasing in the use of a 24-fret neck vs. the 21-fret neck that had been previously used on Rickenbacker's. Edge's are all of the mid-1960's / 21-fret variety.

Hope this has been helpful.

Ric-330-1966-mapleglo-20.jpg

103225484_47d57a76f5.jpg

2005_06_10_01_dscn0176.jpg

Dsc01082.jpg

Wow! Fantastic!:applaud: Thanks very much for that! I always thought they were 6 string guitars cause of the headstock but now I know. I don't know much about Rickenbacker guitars other than they look and sound awesome. I can tell you a load about Gibson since I studied a ton on them. Now I can proudly walk into a guitar store and say "Blah blah blah...the tuners are like this...blah blah blah.":lol: It's interesting how Edge uses mainly vintage guitars or older guitars and new technology. I wish I had the collection he's got.

Glad to be of service. :wave:
:wave: EO!

Yes, you are correct, that is the SJ-200 in action during "Stay" from Sept 16/2009 in Toronto. I do remember that one as the bridge stopped right in front of me and Edge performed the whole song RIGHT THERE, it was really special :) I was at both shows but had seats for the second one.

Here's a video my husband shot (I was too stunned to function).

YouTube - U2 - Stay - Toronto September 16, 2009

As for the mystery song, now that you've narrowed it down it HAS to be "Unknown Caller". It was taken prior to the "Stay" photo and since I was in the front row on the outer ring I wouldn't have been close enough to him during "Walk On".

Thank you again, EO... *bows*

Trust me, my first thought about a guitar is 'ooooooooh, pretty'.

Then that sets of the 'geek bomb' and I have to learn all about that guitar Edge is using or Bono is using or drums Larry is play or about Adam's latest bass or amps & speaker cabinets...

:bow: Edge_O, I am terribly impressed!!! All I know is "oooohhh pretty" for some of these. :lol:

Thanks for all the pics and info :) Here`s a little flashback from Wembley 2:

edgewembley2.jpg

Jeff,

the black variax has dots whereas the sparkle has +... why is that? custom made for Mr The Edge?

Line 6 Variax 700 (digital modelling) acoustic. It can model various acoustic 6 and 12 string guitars as well as mandolin...

As Edge has said, he hardly uses it as intended!

For 'Vertigo' tour, Edge used 2. One in black (The Fly) one in silver sparkle (Love and Peace - sometimes The Fly)

The black Variax 700:
02vertigoguitar.jpg

1miamilast9.jpg

200520-20Vertigo20Tour2F2005-11-052.jpg

The silver sparkle Variax 700:
2005_06_10_01_dscn0131.jpg

2005_06_10_01_rscn0164.jpg

103222685_3c4fd029bb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom