Freestylin' Friday: A Man And His Guitar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
_MG_6249.jpg

OMGOMGOMG Edgy tummy!!! :lol: :cute:

Edge went to using Taylor acoustic guitars during Popmart and Elevation tours but seems to have gone to Gibson vintage and reissue SJ-200's since.

Here's Edge with one of his Taylor 710 dreadnought acoustic. Rosewood back and sides with red cedar top = nice tone - in my book. This pic from during the 'Elevation' 2001 tour.
200120-20U220Elevation20Tour_2nd20L.jpg

Another pick w/Taylor 710 - this one during Popmart:

Taylor-710-dreadnought-popmart-1.jpg

Taylor 814ce used during 'Elevation'? Certainly!
200120-20U220Elevation20Tour_3rd20L.jpg

1966 was a good year...

I was born then! So was The Edge's blonde Telecaster, Lake Placid Blue Telecaster, Epiphone "Texan" acoustic, Fireglo Rickenbacker (Not the one from pre-'Vertigo' tour - that was a 1967 - I'm talking about the one used of "Sometimes You Can't Make It..." during the 'Vertigo' tour.... and THIS guitar: Gibson SG famously played live during the song, "Elevation".

My favie of this that I took... it's "artistically blurry". :D:D:D
Gibson-SG-1966-Nov_2_2005-large.jpg

Here's a few more... I didn't take these.

SG-Red-Vertigo-1.jpg

SG-Red-Vertigo-2.jpg

edgecolorselevation.jpg

I swear to you.... EO actually *IS* Dallas Schoo.... :wave:

(Seriously though, thanks for all the great info, you are an Edge equipment encyclopedia!! I guess that would make you the EEE :D)

1966 was a good year...

I was born then! So was The Edge's blonde Telecaster, Lake Placid Blue Telecaster, Epiphone "Texan" acoustic, Fireglo Rickenbacker (Not the one from pre-'Vertigo' tour - that was a 1967 - I'm talking about the one used of "Sometimes You Can't Make It..." during the 'Vertigo' tour.... and THIS guitar: Gibson SG famously played live during the song, "Elevation".

My favie of this that I took... it's "artistically blurry". :D:D:D
Gibson-SG-1966-Nov_2_2005-large.jpg

Here's a few more... I didn't take these.

SG-Red-Vertigo-1.jpg

SG-Red-Vertigo-2.jpg

edgecolorselevation.jpg

I have wondered why he doesn't bring this out more often. Such an awesome guitar!

"These are a few of my favorite things..."

I do a bit better than just MY Epiphone MR Les Paul... here's a pic I just shot off... t'is 5 of the 11 'ladies'.

L-R:
2002 Rickenbacker 330 (6-string) burgundy glo finish (fairly rare finish)
2006 Epiphone Music Rising Les Paul
1998 Fender 'Eric Clapton' model Stratocaster (needs the Rene' Castro paintjob, eh?)
2004 Fender Telecaster Custom (similar to the one Edge used in the "Vertigo" video, only mine is black instead of walnut finish)
1976 Ltd. Edition Gibson Explorer (Same make, model and vintage as our guitar hero)

DSC01112.jpg

Do you have pictures of your MRLP?:D

It Might Get Loud - Some IMGL shots...

Edge and his Explorer... (Along with Jack White and Jimmy Page)
image_4.jpg

Edge and his Gretsch Country Gentleman... (Along with Jack White and Jimmy Page)
image_5.jpg

Edge and his Gibson Les Paul Music Rising... (Along with Jack White and Jimmy Page)
image_6.jpg

Oh to spend a day (or month!) in this room! It's like the room with all the gold and jewels that explorers looked for in the pyramids... only in this case Les Paul Goldtops versus gold trinkets.

I'd probably start hyper-ventilating. :ohmy::hyper::ohmy::hyper::ohmy:

Edge-Q_Magazine-storage_room-1.jpg

Edge's Charcoal finish Clapton Stratocaster... This was during the 2003-2004 "In the Name Of Love" special exhibit at the R&R HOF.

Love_Town-Rattle_And_Hum-display.jpg

I must have spent an hour staring at this guitar. You can still see the finger grime on the fretboard! Notice that the white pickguard has been swapped out for a mauve-mirrored one.

The guitar itself is charcoal. Then there are sprinkles of mauve that give it that timbre. Then the skeleton and snake painted on top of that mauve sprinkels. Striking instrument.

It should be hanging on MY wall!!!

"Vertigo" during 'Vertigo' (Oakland, Nov 2005)

1966 Fender Telecaster
DSC00852.jpg

DSC00849.jpg

Explorer - Oakland / Vertigo tour.
DSC00894.jpg

Variax 700 - Love & Peace - Oakland / Vertigo tour
DSC00907.jpg

1962 Fender Strat... Pride - Oakland / Vertigo tour
DSC00966.jpg

'Vertigo' tour / 3rd leg / LA 1 (Nov 1st)

Edge and his 1975 Gibson Les Paul Custom. This is the one that was auctioned in the 2007 'Icons of Music' auction. This is the one that Gibson subsequently copied and made a clone of for The Edge.

DSC00676.jpg

I do a bit better than just MY Epiphone MR Les Paul... here's a pic I just shot off... t'is 5 of the 11 'ladies'.

L-R:
2002 Rickenbacker 330 (6-string) burgundy glo finish (fairly rare finish)
2006 Epiphone Music Rising Les Paul
1998 Fender 'Eric Clapton' model Stratocaster (needs the Rene' Castro paintjob, eh?)
2004 Fender Telecaster Custom (similar to the one Edge used in the "Vertigo" video, only mine is black instead of walnut finish)
1976 Ltd. Edition Gibson Explorer (Same make, model and vintage as our guitar hero)

DSC01112.jpg

That sir is a great collection!:applaud: I love that Ric.:love::drool:

While the Explorer might be the one that most notice, and I love it dearly, the Rickenbacker is 'my baby'. That thing is NEVER out of the case unless it's being played. Then it is lovingly wiped down and put to rest in it's case.

I've always loved Rickenbacker guitars.Being a fan of The Jam and REM - it was natural for me to get a Rickenbacker at somepoint. Even Pete Townshend used (and abused) them in the early days of The Who. Ed and Thom use them in Radiohead... Mark Gardiner and Andy Bell used them in Ride... the list goes on.

Interesting that Edge uses Rickenbacker 12-string guitars in the past but not Rickenbacker 6-string models. Although, I heard that Dallas did buy a few at Chicago Gtr Exchange awhile back.

That sir is a great collection!:applaud: I love that Ric.:love::drool:

Bit more on my beloved Rickenbacker 330 VP 6-string. VP is vintage pickups, the style that the 60's models that Edge loves have. (Vs. the Hi-Gain p'ups that come in the newer models)

Also the burgundy finish is a bit rare. The regular finishes are Jetgo (black), Mapleglo (natural maple wood finish - like the one Edge uses on MW the past two tours) and Fireglo (like the one Edge used for EBTTRT, Sometimes... MW on earlier tours, Gone). Midnight Bluburst seems to have been there for a few years as a regular too.

Most years they have a "Finish of the year". That is usually a finish that they don't make all the time and one that they've not made for 10 years to so.

Burgundy glo was the 2002 Finish of the Year.

They did a night Amber Fireglo a few years ago - the finish being more like Edge's Fireglo Rics than most new Ric (which have more pink and not amber in them).

The did a Desert Gold around 1999-2001... somewhere around there. That one was nice. The aquaglo... not so much. I didn't like that finish.

Anywho... the vintage pickups and the burgundyglo finish make mine a bit more rare - which is cool.

I remember calling Best Selection of Rickenbacker, Vox, Hofner Strings Instruments and Accessories to find out if they had a Burgundyglo with VPs and I was stoked that they did. I got a great deal from that site. The price of Rics has gone up a lot since. 2002/2003.

I got mine for under $1000 (and that included shipping, case, tax...) Now a Ric 6 is about 1600.00!!!!

Ou

Bit more on my beloved Rickenbacker 330 VP 6-string. VP is vintage pickups, the style that the 60's models that Edge loves have. (Vs. the Hi-Gain p'ups that come in the newer models)

Also the burgundy finish is a bit rare. The regular finishes are Jetgo (black), Mapleglo (natural maple wood finish - like the one Edge uses on MW the past two tours) and Fireglo (like the one Edge used for EBTTRT, Sometimes... MW on earlier tours, Gone). Midnight Bluburst seems to have been there for a few years as a regular too.

Most years they have a "Finish of the year". That is usually a finish that they don't make all the time and one that they've not made for 10 years to so.

Burgundy glo was the 2002 Finish of the Year.

They did a night Amber Fireglo a few years ago - the finish being more like Edge's Fireglo Rics than most new Ric (which have more pink and not amber in them).

The did a Desert Gold around 1999-2001... somewhere around there. That one was nice. The aquaglo... not so much. I didn't like that finish.

Anywho... the vintage pickups and the burgundyglo finish make mine a bit more rare - which is cool.

I remember calling Best Selection of Rickenbacker, Vox, Hofner Strings Instruments and Accessories to find out if they had a Burgundyglo with VPs and I was stoked that they did. I got a great deal from that site. The price of Rics has gone up a lot since. 2002/2003.

I got mine for under $1000 (and that included shipping, case, tax...) Now a Ric 6 is about 1600.00!!!!

Ou

Really? Cool! Great deal too. I'd love to have one [Rickenbacker] but they're a bit too pricey for me. Especially that Maple-Glo finish. Makes me :drool:. What's the neck like on yours? I need to try one out sometime as they seem like really great guitars. I'm talking 6 string here not 12. One more question, is Edge's Maple-Glo a 6 or 12 string?

Back
Top Bottom