Does Bono still smoke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pretty sure he does. There was an article a few years ago entitled "I puff to be gruff" or some such thing to do with him smoking to keep his voice grainy. Was around ATYCLB though I think.

MooMoo! said:
Pretty sure he does. There was an article a few years ago entitled "I puff to be gruff" or some such thing to do with him smoking to keep his voice grainy. Was around ATYCLB though I think.

*Slaps forehead

WHAT A DUMBASS

(God Bono...I love you, but come on)

Last time my Dad saw him he was smoking, that was around Halloween...

All the more concerning seeing as he had sinus problems. :/ But I guess hes entitled to do what he wants.

Oh, and there was a thing in a mag last year I think,(maybe the year before) where he was in the Clarence with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and got told off for smoking. I think I read that in Q, must have been soon after the smoking ban in Ireland.

Well I found the first article, posted on a BMW forum of all places. o_O It appears theres quite a few U2 fans there...

People : I Puff to be Gruff

[ 24/03/2003 ]
Not smoking made my voice girly: Bono

by Eamonn O'Hanlon
Source : People
U2 front man Bono has defied doctors orders and started smoking again -- in a bid to keep his voice sounding butch.

The star, who kicked the habit three years ago after a potentially career-ending sinus infection, this week claimed tobacco had given his singing a more masculine edge.

He told a specially-invited audience in New York he was surprised when listening to early U2 albums at how feminine he sounded.

"I thought I sounded like a girl at times," he admitted.

"That's why I first started smoking cigars and putting my voice through reverb -- to try to make it sound better."

Bono, who has already curbed his drinking after discovering he is allergic to certain enzymes in wine, had struggled to quit smoking for years.

He picked up the habit in the 1990s, but was admitted to hospital during U2's massive PopMart tour in 1997 after suffering persistent problems with his voice.

He underwent surgery on his nose, throat and ears at Dublin's Blackrock Clinic to clear a blockage in his sinuses.

Doctors warned him at the time that smoking was likely to aggravate the complaint, saying that further infections could permanently damage his singing.
But the star stunned fans at a question and answer session at New York University last weekend by casually lighting up a cigar as he chatted about his career.

Under new legislation brought in by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg smoking is to be banned in bars and restaurants throughout the city from the end of the month.

Pals say Bono is well aware of the dangers of smoking and tries to limit himself to the odd cigar.

"He knows the risks, but it is a matter of personal choice.

"He tried not to smoke in public, because he does not want to negatively influence youngsters, but last weekend was an exception."

Bono had been scheduled to attend the function -- part of the New York Times' Arts and Leisure festival -- the previous weekend but was forced to cancel because of a slipped disc in his back.

Asked about the injury he joked that it was the result of too much "wild sex" for his age.

He also revealed that U2's next album, currently being recorded in Dublin, would mark a dramatic departure from the band's previous releases.

"It sounds like a chainsaw being started up, more cutting down of The Joshua Tree," he said

--------------------------------------------

This was elsewhere on Interference

Achtung Baby! U2's Bono Breaches Irish Smoking Ban

DUBLIN (Reuters) - Rock 'n' roll ain't what it used to be. U2 frontman Bono has apologized -- for having a cigarette.
The breach of Ireland's new smoking ban was committed last week during a night out with Californian rockers the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

The singer, real name Paul Hewson, was spotted lighting up during a late-night bash in the plush Tea Room restaurant of the Clarence Hotel, which he and fellow U2 mates own.

"It was the wee small hours. I was in the company of people from out of town who didn't know about the ban and for a moment nor did I," newspapers quoted Bono as saying Friday.

"I was quickly reminded by the staff and a few friends. I apologized then and I apologize now."

Ireland became the first country in the world to outlaw smoking in the workplace when it introduced the ban earlier this year. The government has hailed it as a resounding success with most people -- the odd rock star aside -- complying.

Carek1230 said:
Does Ali smoke as well? I've seen pics of her with a cig in hand.
This picture?

bonoalisowasted.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's his cigarette, and she's just holding it for him, as his hands are already pretty full there :wink:

Damn, I know it's a personal decision...but still, Bono needs to think of the risks!

He could lose he's voice, or worse...get freakin L-U-N-G C-A-N-C-E-R!

URGH

I can't even think about it, "It makes my voice more masculine" my ASS B. VOX!

:(

Smoking is a hard thing to quit, Ive seen people try but they always go back.

I think Bono is big, old, and ugly enough (no i dont think hes ugly but it is the saying) to look after himself and his voice.

I'm sure he wouldn't smoke while he was on tour or recording.

But people know the risk and the damage it causes, im sure he is aweare of them and like most people take the chance.

I knew where this discussion would be going. I think he reduced smoking very much, when was the last time there were pictures of him with a cigarette? Not even paparrazi pictures. That would explain why his voice has been so strong recently. I think he enjoyes the odd cigar, but I think he's really taking better care of his voice now. I agree, though, that the "girly voice" statement is really dumb. I've read other interviews with him where he condemns the smoking and speaks about the problems it has caused him. But on the other hand I sympathize, because he's under so much stress.

Btw, you guys would be surprised how many singers are smoking. It's the stress. I have a friend who worked in opera and she told me that a lot of opera singers, male and female, are smoking as well. Doctors are smoking, everything. It's a bad habit, but it's so hard to quit. And I guess it's a real progress for someone like Bono to be able to reduce the smokes so much, which I'm pretty sure he has done.

Really? Pictures where Bono isn't around? Because in this one I believe it's his and she's just holding it for him. Would be strange if Ali, who is so careful about her beauty and health, was a smoker.

Or maybe she's a "smoker" like me - occassionally, without inahling. :drool:

It's just because it has been discussed so much here and most of us agreed that Bono's Vertigo voice was the strongest it's been in years. Just listen to the concerts of the last leg or, even better, to the Islington gig from late last year.

Back
Top Bottom