Does Bono still smoke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
His technique is the best it's been....ever. I'm not sure I'd agree that the voice itself has improved. I think it definitely stopped getting worse, but what's done is done. If he likes it raspy, I don't think he needs to smoke to achieve that. Doing 2 hour shows almost every night for months on end will give him all the raspiness he needs! His improved technique is making up for what he ruined by years of horrid technique, smoking, drinking, and doing so many shows nonstop. :up:

The voice has most definitely improved, it's much stronger now than it's been years ago and he's able to hold notes much better. Sure, it isn't 80s level, but he makes up for that with good technique. In the 80s, he was ruining his voice, maybe because of "wrong" singing ... no technique, too much belting and shouting, too much straining. He has certainly learned how to use his voice better now.

If you listen to the Islington gig, you can clearly hear how rich and full his voice sounds, also on the last Vertigo leg concerts. Of course he also has his bad nights, still I believe the overall shape of his voice is better now.

I think we need Peter on that subject. :wink:

^ I agree, I just think it's the technique that has improved, not the vocal cords themselves. But I am biased by my DH, who is a singer. I don't really know much about singing myself. There are components to Bono's voice he can never get back and never improve on, no matter how much he works on technique. That said, I totally prefer the better technique with the more raspy sound than his voice from the 80s which sounded much cleaner but was like listening to Kermit the Frog at times.

Carek1230 said:

I have seen a couple pics of Ali where she is holding a cigarette

Do you have those pics Karen?..Id like to see because I havent seen any pics other than this one where Ali is holding a cig, (and I do believe she is holding it for Bono), but Im looking through my pics (and I have PLENTY) but I dont have any more of Ali with cigs....
Now the Hewson girls??...that is another story!!!

I dont think he does.
Unless he was puffing one out back in the studio.
He never once came out, non of them did, as soon as they went in they never came out until night.

Zoobaby14 said:
Smoking is a hard thing to quit, Ive seen people try but they always go back.

I think Bono is big, old, and ugly enough (no i dont think hes ugly but it is the saying) to look after himself and his voice.

I'm sure he wouldn't smoke while he was on tour or recording.

But people know the risk and the damage it causes, im sure he is aweare of them and like most people take the chance.

Yes Larry smokes too - probably more than Bono. I wish they would both give up. I don`t want to see U2 cut short by either of them getting complications of smoking:sad: :shame:

When we saw him in Hawaii in December '06, he was clearly smoking a cigar and inhaling. I kept coughing on the fumes and he kept looking over at me :lol:

we gotta save bono

lets create a club
an organization
a big auction
against no poverty but EVIL SMOKE

called LSB "LETS SAVE BONO"

(before its too late)

Liesje said:
^ I agree, I just think it's the technique that has improved, not the vocal cords themselves. But I am biased by my DH, who is a singer. I don't really know much about singing myself. There are components to Bono's voice he can never get back and never improve on, no matter how much he works on technique. That said, I totally prefer the better technique with the more raspy sound than his voice from the 80s which sounded much cleaner but was like listening to Kermit the Frog at times.

Nope. You may need to spend a little more time in EYKIW I think, because you clearly missed this when it came around the first time :wink:

The only proof you need lies right here in these recent videos from 11-23-2007...

Desire

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KLHeCeQ9CEs&feature=related

Stay (Faraway, So Close!)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8MbrbIUkDSQ&feature=related

Wave of Sorrow

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oo-w7B4tNB4&feature=related

I can't find Angel of Harlem at the moment, but that was also performed that night...4 songs in total

anyway, not only has his technique drastically improved but also his voice...it's rich, raw, smooth, and powerful, listen to "Staaaaaaay" for example..that is incredible....he didn't even sing it with that much power on ZooTV...

listen to the "oh sister" line in Desire, that has lovetown written all over it baby!

there is no denying, after listening to this video, that his voice is, in some senses, better than it has EVER BEEN...

but his voice is without question better overalll nowadays than it has been for the past 15 years or so...

Last edited:
Rob33 said:

Nope. You may need to spend a little more time in EYKIW I think, because you clearly missed this when it came around the first time :wink:

The only proof you need lies right here in these recent videos from 11-23-2007...

Desire

Wave of Sorrow

I can't find Angel of Harlem at the moment, but that was also performed that night...4 songs in total

anyway, not only has his technique drastically improved but also his voice...it's rich, raw, smooth, and powerful, listen to "Staaaaaaay" for example..that is incredible....he didn't even sing it with that much power on ZooTV...

listen to the "oh sister" line in Desire, that has lovetown written all over it baby!

there is no denying, after listening to this video, that his voice is, in some senses, better than it has EVER BEEN...

but his voice is without question better overalll nowadays than it has been for the past 15 years or so...

Um, I've been here every day for 6 years, I've spent a LOT of time in EYKIW! :wink:

And as I already said, I agree his voice sounds better now than it ever has. I love his voice now and I would not trade it for anything previous.

But there is a difference between the technique and the physical condition of his vocal cords.

^^I'm not sure what point you are arguing, Rob33... that it is okay that he has subjected his voice to carcinogens as long as it got where it is today? :(

Where it is today has everything to do with voice training and practice.

As for the overall subject of this thread, it makes my unbearably sad. I have weighed in on the subject of smoking before, and was roasted for my hatred of the habit (addiction) by some who feel (understandably) picked on.

I'm a former smoker, I totally understand the pleasure, seduction, and most of all, total addiction... and how very, very hard it is to break the habit. It is the hardest favor you can ever do for yourself and your loved ones, believe me.

My dear uncle-- my father's identical twin-- passed away on Friday from emphysema. And he quit smoking 19 years earlier.

:sad: :sad:

It really will end your life early, and it is a very awful way to go. I'm not standing on a soapbox... I just experienced it firsthand is all.

Peace and best wishes

DreamOutLoud13 said:

This picture?

bonoalisowasted.jpg

I'm pretty sure that's his cigarette, and she's just holding it for him, as his hands are already pretty full there :wink:

Whenever I see this picture, I always have to go on a beer run. :-S

GracelandHarley said:
^^I'm not sure what point you are arguing, Rob33... that it is okay that he has subjected his voice to carcinogens as long as it got where it is today? :(

Where it is today has everything to do with voice training and practice.

As for the overall subject of this thread, it makes my unbearably sad. I have weighed in on the subject of smoking before, and was roasted for my hatred of the habit (addiction) by some who feel (understandably) picked on.

I'm a former smoker, I totally understand the pleasure, seduction, and most of all, total addiction... and how very, very hard it is to break the habit. It is the hardest favor you can ever do for yourself and your loved ones, believe me.

My dear uncle-- my father's identical twin-- passed away on Friday from emphysema. And he quit smoking 19 years earlier.

:sad: :sad:

It really will end your life early, and it is a very awful way to go. I'm not standing on a soapbox... I just experienced it firsthand is all.

Peace and best wishes

Very sorry to hear that :(

Well I wasn't really trying to argue anything...I was mainly just trying to provide some good evidence of how much Bono's voice is improving...and it's frustrating that not too many people know about this gig...oh well :shrug:
I guess we'll get a good taste of it on the new album :)

Liesje said:

Um, I've been here every day for 6 years, I've spent a LOT of time in EYKIW! :wink:

And as I already said, I agree his voice sounds better now than it ever has. I love his voice now and I would not trade it for anything previous.

But there is a difference between the technique and the physical condition of his vocal cords.

Part of this is due simply to age as well. I'm close to Bono's age. I'm no singer, but in my youth, I seemed to have a stronger voice when I'd sing along with songs. Singing along with Bono is good for about a few songs (unless they're spoken or easier to sing tracks) before I realize I'm way out of my range and I can't hit a single note. LOL!

But as I've aged, while I may not always hit the note, I have learned to sing differently. And as a result, every so often I can hit the note without my voice failing. Again, I'm no singer, but if me, a very untrained inexperienced person realizes the changes in his voice (and I do not smoke), then clearly Bono does too.

In one's youth, one could scream out a show (see Robert Plant) and do O.K. Bono used screaming and a falsetto (aka "kermit voice") to hit notes. Now, he uses other techniques to not only hit the notes, but maintain control and save his voice. Will he scream as much? No. Will he always belt out the big notes? No. And this actually allows him to keep singing night after night.

I say, save the big singing for the album. It's O.K. to drop a key in concert.

As for smoking, I actually disagree with Bono's rather poor rational. We all have our bad habits (few extra pizzas is mine) and they are tough to shake (losing weight is just as challenging as quitting smoking - perhaps moreso as we do need to eat). But I've heard some singers claim the extra weight helps their voice, just as Bono claims the smoke helps his. First, I do like Bono's 80's voice. Yes, he's a better singer now, but nothing wrong with hitting those UF-R&H era big notes! Second, the singer that kept on the extra weight for her voice eventually succumbed to diabetes brought on by that weight. Will Bono pay the price with cancer?

Therefore, ditch the cigs and cigars, Bono. Mother Nature and Father Time have changed your voice enough already. Your improved techniques and reduction in smoking has led to your strongest voice since the ZOO TV era (and maybe even the LoveTown era). Don't ruin that.

^ Good post.

I think we all agree that smoking is dumb.
Not only for a singer but for everyone.

But in the end we cannot influence Bono in his decisions, he's a grown up and smart guy and has to know himself ... and I'm sure he does.

I think it's pretty difficult to really argue here, because we actually don't know if the still smokes and how much. It's not like we have seen hundereds of pictures in recent years with a fag hanging out of his mouth. It's also not like his voice is totally wrecked now, actually, quite the opposite. So let's just trust and hope that he is doing the right thing.

I am not intolerant towards smoking. I smoke cigars sometimes, and though I dislike cigarettes (though I find it impossible to get addicted to them, thank G-d), I won't judge a person if they smoke, and I'd certainly make an attempt to help them quit if they so want to.

I will say, however - that I feel differently about this when smoking is not only endangering the person's life, but also endangering their working abilities. In this case, it just seems completely ridiculous to smoke when your profession is singing - it's potentially cheating the fans of a decent show (and we've already seen this happen plenty of times in the case of Bono). A smoke once in a while doesn't bother me (if that's what he's doing now, I would have no problem since his voice seems to be in better form), though there's still something incredibly selfish about the whole thing, regardless of the artist in question.

Last edited:
Poor Bono, I think I can understand him about smoking, I'm a teacher, so I use my voice in my job everyday, I started smoking when I was at uni because it was considered very trendy, especially for girls, but after a few years of profession, teaching long hours at high school in the mornings and then lecturing large classes at university in the evenings, I started having voice problems, they were worsened by hay fever which caused me breathing problems, I knew I had to drop smoking, but it seemed to be impossible, any problem increased my stress and was a good excuse not to do it, I even had a pneumonia, that time I stopped smoking for a year and a half and then started again, feeling really guilty, but telling the others I knew what I wanted to do with my life. I quit the habit four years ago, it wasn't as hard as the previous times I had tried, telling everybody I had stopped smoking helped me quite a lot, cause I always try to mantain my word, but then I took 12 kg. and I had to be on a diet for more than a year. Now I'm very happy I finished with it, my voice has improved quite a lot, but my chords are weak and I have to put extra care in them, my food can't be too hot or cold, I have to avoid speaking in the street when it's very cold and I have to exercise my vocals every morning before going to work and, of course, I can't work so many hours. Even doing everything, sometimes I don't feel well and my voice cracks down and doctors tell me not to speak for a week or so, oh, and my throat hurts, hurts a lot. I'm telling you this to explain that I don't believe Bono if he says he likes his smoking voice, but I understand him, I was saying that for years, I don't know if he can cope with the stress, the popularity and so on while trying to quit smoking and not to get weight on, it's very hard indeed. I know many of you were smokers at a time and you understand what I mean. If I could tell him something I'd tell him not to worry about people and do what is best for him, he's much more than a singer, he's a dad, a husband and above all a human being.

Rob33 said:

Desire

Wave of Sorrow

Ok, Desire isnt so bad, but no way is that Stay performance anything special. He sounds out of breath though most of it.

TBH though, You can really tell hear the "gruffness" from the smoking on ATYCLB, and it does add a certain quality, albeit somewhat unwanted in respect to his health. I personally think though Elevation he sang pretty well. I guess as he had the gruff voice on the record it kinda blended in though. He hit the high notes then. (Kite ffs) Just think personally that Vertigo he struggled.

I say personally too! Dont get all "omg wtf bbq" on me. :lol: Im picky with voices I like.

OK, seriously, I cannot understand how you can say Bono didn't have a great voice at that Islington gig. I listen to it regularly and it still gives me shivers. So strong and full. And yes, his Vertigo voice is the best it was in years, Elevation was weak, some say even worse than Popmart, which I'm not so sure about, but we know he had a lot of problems at that time. Give me Vertigo voice or the one from the Islington gig any day and I'll be more than happy! Really, I'm kind of worshipping his Vertigo voice, I listened to so many bootlegs. :drool:

Last edited:
I swear I wish this thread would just disappear and we could leave the poor bastard do whatever he wants with his life.

We don't even know how much he smokes, maybe it's two fags a day and so what? That would hurt him as much as the air in the tube hurts me every day I go to work.

Cancer comes anyway if you are predisposed, it's one of the ways we die and whether you smoke, eat meat, not eat vegetables or not it doesn't make a difference. If it's in your genes, it will get you.

I think though, chances are, if he wants to quit, he would have by now. The Irish ban would have been a big enough incentive, and he says in that interview he does it on purpose. Its quite noticeable he doesnt smoke as much as he did in the 1990s though, as there were quite a few pics of it. But nowadays you have to hunt for them. Looks as though its the occasional fag type of guy. I mean, compare that to Adam, he used to smoke like a bastard. :lol:

The guy probably drinks a hell of a lot more than he smokes, no-one ever gets concerned about that. :shrug: So meh.

MooMoo! said:
Ok, Desire isnt so bad, but no way is that Stay performance anything special. He sounds out of breath though most of it.

TBH though, You can really tell hear the "gruffness" from the smoking on ATYCLB, and it does add a certain quality, albeit somewhat unwanted in respect to his health. I personally think though Elevation he sang pretty well. I guess as he had the gruff voice on the record it kinda blended in though. He hit the high notes then. (Kite ffs) Just think personally that Vertigo he struggled.

I say personally too! Dont get all "omg wtf bbq" on me. :lol: Im picky with voices I like.

actually, I am going to get all "omg wtf bbq" on you, because that is the most ridiculous thing ever!!!

no, seriously now, I understand that is your personal preference, but in terms of quality of voice, vertigo is by far best in a long ass time...and to say he sounded out of breath during that Stay performance at Union Chapel...WHAT?!?!?

that entire gig is absolutely brilliant....that version of Stay crushes ANY elevation performance of that song easily...and better than/on par with ZooTV performances...

sorry, but's true.....it's damn true :yes:

Rob33 said:

that entire gig is absolutely brilliant....that version of Stay crushes ANY elevation performance of that song easily...and better than/on par with ZooTV performances...

sorry, but's true.....it's damn true :yes:

Agreed!
:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom