Did South Park poke fun at Bono a few years ago?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HBK-79

War Child
Hey everyone. I read somewhere that South Park made fun of Bono in the worst way possible back when HTDAAB was released.

In one episode, South Park lampooned the song Vertigo, and announced that Bono is responsible for producing the world's largest piece of shit (as in feces).

Is all of that true? Was it funny? How did it make you all feel? Any reflections?

By the way- My friends hate Bono's pretentiousness, and praised South Park for tearing him to pieces.:|

Pretentious? How is he pretentious? :scratch:

He's completely honest and does what he believes in, from the heart. How is that pretentious?

I wish the full episode was on youtube! I only found a short clip where he is going yeah yeah yeah and hello hello!

Being lampooned on South Park is not an insult, it is actually a compliment. The episode actually came out after or towards the end of the Vertigo tour, not when the album was released. I think it was October of either '06 or '07. They were mocked on The Simpson's as well with their full participation so no need to be upset. Bono probably found it hilarious. He actually tells the stupid internet joke about him supposedly clapping his hands at a concert to represent a child dying every second and someone hollering at him to stop clapping. What South Park does is not much different than a Roast. By the way the real point of the whole episode was the ending where they stuck the Emmy that they won into the pile of shit. The Bono thing was simply a vehicle to facilitate their real goal of commenting on how they felt about the award.

Dana

Being lampooned on South Park is not an insult, it is actually a compliment. The episode actually came out after or towards the end of the Vertigo tour, not when the album was released. I think it was October of either '06 or '07. They were mocked on The Simpson's as well with their full participation so no need to be upset. Bono probably found it hilarious. He actually tells the stupid internet joke about him supposedly clapping his hands at a concert to represent a child dying every second and someone hollering at him to stop clapping. What South Park does is not much different than a Roast. By the way the real point of the whole episode was the ending where they stuck the Emmy that they won into the pile of shit. The Bono thing was simply a vehicle to facilitate their real goal of commenting on how they felt about the award.

Dana

Yeah, late '07. There were some rather interesting reaction threads here.

I wouldn't say that there was any lampooning as such in the Simpsons episode they appeared on - really, there's essentially never been any use for most guest stars in the show, other than those that came back to record voices for reoccurring characters like Phil Hartman. U2's appearance wasn't so much a parody as to get more schmucks to watch the 200th episode.

On topic, the South Park episode was pretty pathetic. I used to be a pretty big fan, though there's no denying it's had a slow decline since around 2005. Randy used to be one of my favourite characters, but around that season he started to get pretty damn annoying. The Bono thing was give-or-take, it may as well have been another celebrity.

Unlike the Simpsons, I think South Park is pretty stupid. I don't find it funny, it kind of pisses me off. I haven't seen the Bono episode, but I've seen other ones. It's not my kind of "humour", I usually find it rather disgusting.

Yeah, i've seen the episode, it was just plain stupid. South Park is just meh.

Though I loved the Simpsons episode with U2 in it, that was one awesome episode.

Adam and his spoon collection.

Adam: Hey look, i've got a Springfield spoon!
Bono: Can I have a look? *throws spoon away*
Adam: aw!

:D

It totally bored me so I changed the channel.

Why should we care if they choose to insult Bono? We're not his defenders or whatever. And it's not like he cares about it.

As JD said before . . . I get why Bono gets up peoples noses somewhat and love a little parody . . . . not to hijack the thread but this is one of my faves . . .

The Chaser . . . "I Still Can't Accept What A Nob I Am" . . . typically Australian sense of humour so perhaps not for the faint hearted :D

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=TXlPU0TWMds

Last edited:
As JD said before . . . I get why Bono gets up peoples noses somewhat and love a little parody . . . . not to hijack the thread but this is one of my faves . . .

The Chaser . . . "I Still Can't Accept What A Nob I Am" . . . typically Australian sense of humour so perhaps not for the faint hearted :D

YouTube - The Chaser - I still can't accept what a nob I am U2 parody

... I'd rather say that The Late Show and vintage Micallef to be more indicative of Australian comedy, Chaser's is pathetic. :(

South Park is a show that directs its audience to kids around my age. (15) to watch the show you need a really good sense of humor, and i don't mean that negatively to people who dont find it funny, but like to an almost immature sense of humor and i dont mean that negatively either. I am a huge bono and U2 fan and i personally thought it was hilarious.

who cares if they make fun? they werent calling him out or saying anything practically actually mean.

... I'd rather say that The Late Show and vintage Micallef to be more indicative of Australian comedy, Chaser's is pathetic. :(

really? they're a tad overdone these days, granted but they did manage a few moments of genuine hilarity there . . . The Late Show was brilliant but Mr Micallef . . . sometimes funny but just a titchy bit too smug & pleased with his own self for my liking

Ok, I'm moving to Australia!

RIGHT NOW!!

:lmao:

:) glad you laughed :up: I still pee my pants whenever I watch it :ohmy: :lol:

really? they're a tad overdone these days, granted but they did manage a few moments of genuine hilarity there . . . The Late Show was brilliant but Mr Micallef . . . sometimes funny but just a titchy bit too smug & pleased with his own self for my liking

:) glad you laughed :up: I still pee my pants whenever I watch it :ohmy: :lol:

Oh I'm serious! I've never been to Australia. Is it fun? :up: :down: :shrug:

See, I find Chaser's to be mostly uninspired - I think most Australian comedy is in a really bad state right now. But I still admit Chaser's is like Fawlty Towers compared to the likes of Rove, Dave Hughes and Akhmal. Ugh! I know funnier people who aren't comedians for a living. How they got their jobs is beyond me. To be fair though, the UK isn't bringing out anything that funny these days either - I'd say the US has got the upperhand right now, even if they're hit and miss (but Arrested Development was the funniest show from this decade, so it's an auto-win).

As for Micallef - great in the nineties (particularly when on Full Frontal, he carried the show by himself), mostly bad this decade. But the Late Show just ruled. Charlie the Wonder Dog. :love:

John, come to Australia, we don't usually argue about comedy, we spend more time cooking barbecues and drinking wine. :up:

Back
Top Bottom