Bonos accent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
Whenever Bono speaks, i've never heard the typical Irish accent i'd think i'd hear (for me Larry has the most Irish voice of the band) is it just a Dublin thing, or does Bono's ancestory fall to anything else out of Ireland?

Bono is a mimic. He picks up stuff from all over so he never has a typical accent. Certain words will show the Irish accent more than others, but generally he tends to sound like whoever he's spending the most time with.

Dana

I put it down to him being away a lot.

Edge has a milder accent too I find. Dublin being a large city as it is, it wont have the stronger countryish accent.

Like my ex boss had. Could not understand a damn word that woman said. @_@

Edge doesnt have a Welsh accent though. :)

Adam however...he sounds a lot like Paul McGuinness to me. I guess its a bit of a crossover. He does sound more English than Irish.

I was born in NYC, but moved to South Jersey when I was 4. I talk like the people hear, but when I say certain words my friends tell me I sound like I have a NY accent.

When Bono was very young you can hear an Irish accent more than now, I think because of all the time he spends out of Ireland and alot of time in the states, I think he has some what lost his orginal Irish brogue.

^ Yes. Listen to Driving To Midnight Mass on a Dublin Christmas Eve. (A very young Bono reciting the poem) You will hear his accent pretty full on.

:scratch:I always believed that Bono sounds the way he does because
he's a singer. I'm only saying this because of personal
experience. I've been heavily involved in music from a very
young age (as a singer), and, although I've been raised
in the SE United States, I don't sound much like I'm from
there. I could be wrong though.

I read that Edge was made fun of for having "the wrong" accent when he was at school and then again with family, so he tried very hard to have no accent.

Bono and all of them actually have a milder accent now than they did when they were younger. It is probably from years of speaking to people who were not Irish and having to be understood (news media, fans, etc). One develops a accent-less accent over time just to be understood.

Watch/listen to some early interviews, like no further than about 86 or so. He had a pretty full on Dublin accent back then.

Now he just sounds blooming mad.

Whenever Bono speaks, i've never heard the typical Irish accent i'd think i'd hear (for me Larry has the most Irish voice of the band) is it just a Dublin thing, or does Bono's ancestory fall to anything else out of Ireland?

there are moments when Bono sounds just like Dylan Moran (an Irish stand-up comedian - if you don't know him, do check him out!!!) who's also from Dublin, so it may be a Dublin thing...

I've always wondered about Adam. he's lived in Ireland for so long and still sounds like an English gentleman (and looks like one too:heart:).

there are moments when Bono sounds just like Dylan Moran (an Irish stand-up comedian - if you don't know him, do check him out!!!) who's also from Dublin, so it may be a Dublin thing...

I never really made the connection, other than pronunciation, but anyway - Dylan Moran is awesome.

Didn't Bono say he has an "English" accent?

I don't speak with an accent anymore, the rest of my family does. When I moved away from home, I quickly lost the accent. People cannot believe where I come from because they don't hear the typical accent. I know a lot of people who still have it despite having moved away. I had a boyfriend who came from a region where a very thick accent is spoken and while knowing him I adopted his accent. :doh: I liked it and still speak like that from time to time, people are always wondering.

As for Bono, I guess he's away too much, talking to many people from all over the planet, and yes, I also believe it has to do with singing. I noticed that his accent is more "Irish" when he's at home, giving an interview to Irish media and such.

My sister has an Irish partner. At work he's very non-descript with his accent, probably tending towards an english accent. When he's away from work, his Irish accent comes out, and the more relaxed he is, the broader his accent. It's like talking to two totally different guys at times! :giggle:

I had often wondered about his accent for some time. I noticed too how he never spokewith a strong irish accent. I am canadian and lost my accent after about a year of living in scotland. It was easier to learn to speak like the Scottish, rather than everyone not understanding what i was saying. It started by just using the same words for things (ie crisps, bins,sweeties) then it just sorta took over my accent. I am married to a Scottish guy, so that didn't help me keep it! I think you just learn to adjust to wherever you are. When I go home, I revert back to my canadian accent pretty quick cos my mom doesn't understand me!!!:doh:

I had often wondered about his accent for some time. I noticed too how he never spokewith a strong irish accent. I am canadian and lost my accent after about a year of living in scotland. It was easier to learn to speak like the Scottish, rather than everyone not understanding what i was saying. It started by just using the same words for things (ie crisps, bins,sweeties) then it just sorta took over my accent. I am married to a Scottish guy, so that didn't help me keep it! I think you just learn to adjust to wherever you are. When I go home, I revert back to my canadian accent pretty quick cos my mom doesn't understand me!!!:doh:

That is exactly like John Barrowman! With Family full on scot, outside world American\Canadian

Yes Bono does mimick a lot, that doesn't help. When I heared him speak at Abbey Road, he had the full on Irish Brogue :drool:

Bono himself has said in interviews that he tend to pick up accents. And, of course, it matters to him that the person(s) he's talking to actually understand what he's saying. As have already been mentioned, you can hear a distinct Dublin accent from him in earlier interviews.

Edge's parents may be Welsh, but when he was born, they lived in East London, and the family moved to Malahide in Ireland when Edge was just 1 year old. While not as broad as Larry's brogue, you can definitely tell Edge's got an Irish accent. Just check out the clip of the Dalton Brothers playing 'Lost Highway' in LA - Edge tries to speak in an American accent and he just can't do it. *G*

Adam lived in Oxfordshire, England, until he was 5 years old, but I'd say his accent is probably more of an "Irish boarding school" one. Someone said he and Paul McG talks rather alike, and Paul too went to boarding school in Ireland.

Larry, of course, has got the broadest Northern-Dubliner accent of them all. I've got a friend who's also from Artane, and there are certain words and expressions they pronounce exactly in the same way.

For all four of them, you can definitely tell when they're in Ireland, talking to Irish journalists or addressing an Irish audience: that's when their accents are most audible (perhaps with the exception of Adam).

I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with his voice gettting deeper as he has aged too. That might affect his accent.

I agree with those saying it's because he's always traveling and spends loads of time with people from all over the world. Plus being a singer, he's got a good ear for mimicking the melody of other people's accents and all that. It's kind of like with Bjork, I think. She used to live in London ,and while she was there, had a strong British accent and spake with great ease and used all the expressions, a few years later she sounded like she never learnt english too well, and her accent was very obviously Icelandic. It has alot to do with who she's talking to, and where she lives, I guess. Same with Bono. I miss his Dublin accent though...:drool:

^ Yes. Listen to Driving To Midnight Mass on a Dublin Christmas Eve. (A very young Bono reciting the poem) You will hear his accent pretty full on.

:drool: yes, definately can hear it fully, as he has aged he has become more american in speaking, but he can definately pull out the brogue when he wants to.

A lot of it has to do with singing. Bono has been taught by a voice coach to sing without his irish accent. And after years of doing this, it is natural for him to speak in what I would call "American Standard."

I love Bono's brogue. I love the way he speaks now too.
We American girls love the boys with accents don't we girls? :)
I have an affinity to the Irish one because of my heritage but Aussie's are wonderful too! :love:

Yes we do. :love:

Didn't Bono say he has an "English" accent?

I think he thought he sang in an English accent.

I remember reading an interview from the late seventies/early eighties in which Bono said that the first time he heard his own singing voice being played back in the studio he didn't recognise it. Apparently he thought it was some english guy singing and was amazed when the rest of the band told him that it was actually his voice he was listening to.

Bill Graham, the Hot Press journalist who was very close to the band and made some very perceptive comments about them in his 'Complete Music Of U2' book said that Bono in the early eighties occassionally sounded like David Bowie and every now and then, particularly on the Boy album, you can hear shades of Bowie.

English people are really uptight, and Americans are becoming more so.

I really like South Africans. (and the accent of course. I was just skiing in Colorado and there were South Africans EVERYWHERE!! Bizarre! I think they have kind of a unique world view and alot of initiative. It's all to do with where you are in the world I suppose.)

And I'm curious about Australians. It's definately on my list of places to visit.

:wave:

Back
Top Bottom