Bono in Denver at Obama's speech?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeannieco

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
If the moonlight caught you crying on Killiney Bay
Hey all! I am just back from Denver where I was fortunate enough to be able to witness history and Senator Obama's acceptance speech at Invesco Field Thursday night! It was spectacular and like I said in FYM, it was electric in there and yes, better than a U2 concert! The New York Times has posted an article stating that Bono was there (nope I didn't see him) and probably sitting with Oprah in the VIP suites. I did a search online to see if there were any photos or articles or sightings, but couldn't find any info. I think he was laying low to not take the spot light off this historic moment and Senator Obama's night. Classy of him yes indeed! Here is part of the article someone posted EYKIW
and plus a blurb about a ONE concert featuring Kayne West ...

I need to join this U2 fans for Obama group! :) :rockon:
I can't believe I was there...it was un freaking believeable!:love:

Would any of you super Bono slueths be able to find some photos online somewhere of this?? :) I am not good locating the latest pic's of the B man. Thanks!

According to The Times, Bono was there.

Bono fans fill Obama coffers

The presidential hopeful has found just what he's looking for in U2 devotees as they swell his campaign reserves

Times, August 30, 2008

Colin Coyle

ONE is charismatic, plays to packed stadiums and wants to change the world. The other is Bono. Now a group of U2 fans, struck by the parallels between Barack Obama and the Irish rock star, have become one of the US Democratic presidential nominee's most enthusiastic band of supporters.

U2 fans for Obama, a collection of 103 U2 devotees, has raised almost $18,000 (EU12,200) for the presidential hopeful's campaign and organised more than 600 events to date.

The group, whose website and blog are linked to the presidential candidate's official homepage, believe that "since Bono can't run for US president, Obama is the next best thing". Their blog declares that members "see in Obama a progressive Christian who embodies the ideas and sentiments . . . so compelling in U2's music".

The politician is already an avowed fan of the band, recently telling Rolling Stone magazine that U2 is on his iPod play-list. Bono attended the Democratic convention in Denver last week where he heard two U2 tracks, City of Blinding Lights and Beautiful Day, bookend Obama's acceptance speech early on Friday. Beautiful Day was also the musical backdrop a night earlier when Obama introduced Senator Joe Biden, his nominee for vice-president, to the Denver crowd.

The U2 fans now rank as the 10th most active group on Obama's collection of small local fundraisers, modelled on a social networking site. Obama's website, my.barack obama.com, was developed by Chris Hughes, a co-founder of Facebook. It has more than 1m users and hundreds of diverse social networking groups, including Women for Obama, Veterans for Obama and Environmentalists for Obama.

The groups use the website to plan events, set fundraising goals and volunteer to distribute leaflets. Obama hopes to outstrip the Republican election war chest by convincing "a million or so small donors to give less than $100 each".

It is no surprise that fans have drawn an analogy between Obama and U2. On their blog, U2 fans for Obama debate which songs by the band best sum up the politician and wrangle over whether Obama is "even better than the real thing — Bono". One argues that the two men's connection is "intellectual, political and spiritual".

Too long to wait for Kanye West

Even though goverment finance rules forced many elected officials and their staffs to pay the $90 face price for a ducat to the RIAA/One party at Exdo Event Center, too many tickets got sold/handed out/bartered for the much yakked about show with Kanye West as the promised headliner and Bono as a possible. At about 11:45 p.m. officials stepped out of the club and told a line of a couple hundred people — that stretched two blocks — to forget about getting in. Who did make it past the gate? Forest Whitaker, Maureen Dowd, Jamie Foxx, D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty, Fat Joe of DX and Arkansas Gov. Mike Beebe. — Jason Blevins

While it is plausible that Bono was in Denver on Thursday night, we must remember that he went to the Madonna concert on Tuesday night in France so it would have been "cutting things close".

There was a report earlier this Summer that DATA had reserved some tables at one of Denver's upscale restaurants but that doesn't prove Bono was in town.

It would be great to see some new pics of him but I don't know about this one.:hmm:

One thing the media has gotten very good at is confusing people. DATA is a part of ONE but it is a separate organization within ONE. What DATA does is not always what ONE does and vice versa.

ONE was there at the Dem Convention and Kanye West played for their concert at the Convention.

Mulago Positive Women’s Network :hug:

There is no Bono "look-alike", only a Bono "wanna-be". :wink:

I don't know if Bono was there Jeannieco. Good luck :)

How could politics ever be better than a U2 concert? Especially an Obama speech? Give me a break! :doh:

Hi Carek, this was my experience.

To answer your question...I take great pride in my political awareness because I happen to think that it's important and vital for my future. I was inspired to action and became VERY involved for the first time in the political process because of this man. Much like Bono's example of service, Obama's example has moved me to take action in my community and really get involved, not just vote, but volunteer and give back.

If you are passionate about McCain or whomever I encourage you to participate in the process, it's the lifeline of our great country.

Please let's be respectful. This night was historic regardless of your affiliation and the 45th anniversary of Dr.King's (one of Bono's heroes) I Have a Dream speech, thus making it all the more poetic for me especially since Dr. King is a hero of mine as well.

Some exerpts:

"No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until "justice rolls down like waters, and righteousness like a mighty stream...

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character....

From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

And when this happens, when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual: Free at last! Free at last!

Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Peace
Jeannie:wave:

Jeannie, I'm so jealous that you were there. Watching the speech on TV I got chills and tears (I'm a sap). I love it when a politician can make me forget the cynicism of being an American and remember what it means to hope for the future. Rock On, Indeed!!!!

Thanks so much Jeannie for sharing! I would have given anything to be there!! I understand what you mean about it being better than a U2 show...Because you know that what is happening is truly changing the world...and Bono would be the first to agree with you.

I don't know that you can really compare the two...I might use "more significant" rather than "better"...Because you really can't beat the spectacle and artistry of a U2 show. But while U2 deserves credit for opening people's hearts to politics and the welfare of those around them -- me included, and for it I am forever grateful -- THIS event arguably carried more weight, and beared more substance.

^^Thank you Zuropa and Diane! My heart is so full of gratitude and I am still amazed that I was able to attend. The credentials were very hard to get, but I worked for it! It's a shame that not everyone was able to get in to the stadium that wanted to due to capacity limits, but those who did knew the magnitude of what we were witnessing.
Thanks for the props. :)
YES WE CAN take our country back!:applaud:

Jeannie, I agree. As much as I love U2, a black man being nominated for president 45 years to the day after MLK Jr's famous speech really takes the cake, regardless of which "side" one is on. U2 concerts have no bearing on whether we can afford health care, whether our children are getting good educations... I think Bono would only support and encourage U2 fans to be politically active and motivated.

Thanks so much Jeannie for sharing! I would have given anything to be there!! I understand what you mean about it being better than a U2 show...Because you know that what is happening is truly changing the world...and Bono would be the first to agree with you.

I don't know that you can really compare the two...I might use "more significant" rather than "better"...Because you really can't beat the spectacle and artistry of a U2 show. But while U2 deserves credit for opening people's hearts to politics and the welfare of those around them -- me included, and for it I am forever grateful -- THIS event arguably carried more weight, and beared more substance.

:) Thank you:hug: I guess I should have said that it was LIKE a U2 concert only the energy was magnified times 100, plus as much as I love U2, the concert I attended was not history making in any way so ya, it's comparing apples to oranges. I just wanted an analogy that was on an equal level of passion for me and that's it! U2 and Obama great combo. And to top it off he came out to COBL as usual!You could hear a pin drop up in the cheap seats where I was. People were singing, dancing , crying and praying together. Yes, you get some of that at a U2 concert, but not the WHOLE stadium. 4 of my friends sitting in different areas of the stadium had the same experience. Plus my cousin works for the Rocky Mountain News and he was working on the floor with the delegates and up in the seats and said the same thing regarding the intensity and the magnitude of people responding.
People don't even pay attention sometimes up in the stands at the U2 concert I went to. In fact people were talking on cel phones, walking around, just not in to it all around me. Up front I know it's different, but that wasn't my experience !! That's my goal this next tour!! On the rail baby! :hyper:

How could politics ever be better than a U2 concert? Especially an Obama speech? Give me a break! :doh:

Especially an Obama speech? Seems you do not think much of him?

While a speech of any kind might not be as exciting or fun as a U2 show... seems your comment was a bit of a 'dig' at Obama.

I find Obama to be a fine speaker and a man dedicated to returning prosperity to the US and not continued with Mr (I refuse to call him President) Bush-like policies.

Before Bush... economic growth, no war, much of the world looked at the US favorably, and we had a budget surplus.

Since Bush, economic failure, illegal war, the world hates us, and the hugest deficit ever.

This isn't to say I favor one party over another. I am saying that I don't agree with Bush/Cheney and what they've done to our country. McCain's policy's are in line with Bush. And as he's voted with Bush 90+ % of the time, I am not surprised that McCain would go in the direction of Bush's policy's.

But as this is probably taking things way off topic...

Well, I suppose that we will just have to agree to disagree - respectfully.

Jeannie, I agree. As much as I love U2, a black man being nominated for president 45 years to the day after MLK Jr's famous speech really takes the cake, regardless of which "side" one is on. U2 concerts have no bearing on whether we can afford health care, whether our children are getting good educations... I think Bono would only support and encourage U2 fans to be politically active and motivated.

Exactly. I know Bono would want that too!
Right on. Thank you!:hug:

I agree with you.

What is important is to educate ourselves on the issues, the candidates and their positions... and choose accordingly.

^^yes, pity there are many in this country not enlightened at all.

I pray for them to wake up like Denis Kucinich said and thank God most are.

But whenever you stick your neck out there and stand for good, evil always raises it's ugly head
As a long time Democrat and a believer, I am proud that he makes faith and family an American value again, not a right wing value. Much like U2's music. It's about COEXISTing together...
And how cool is it that red and blue make purple, Bono's fav color?
Hahaha..
Ok way off track there, just trying to bring U2 back in this discussion!:D

Two quick comments on this thread:

- since PLEBA is a "picture" forum and since no pictures of Bono are emerging from the Dem Convention, shouldn't this thread be moved to EYKIW ?

In the past, other threads about U2 without pics were moved to that forum.:hmm:

Second, it is a very unfair and dangerous position for us to say that we "know" what Bono thinks and feels.

We simply do not know with certainty what he thinks and feels.

If you want to quote him and say that you think that this is what he feels - fine.

But to state that you know what Bono feels is simply wrong - unless you can prove that you have heard him make certain statements to support your position.

As a disclaimer, I will also vote for Obama.:cute:

Especially an Obama speech? Seems you do not think much of him?

While a speech of any kind might not be as exciting or fun as a U2 show... seems your comment was a bit of a 'dig' at Obama.

I find Obama to be a fine speaker and a man dedicated to returning prosperity to the US and not continued with Mr (I refuse to call him President) Bush-like policies.

Before Bush... economic growth, no war, much of the world looked at the US favorably, and we had a budget surplus.

Since Bush, economic failure, illegal war, the world hates us, and the hugest deficit ever.

This isn't to say I favor one party over another. I am saying that I don't agree with Bush/Cheney and what they've done to our country. McCain's policy's are in line with Bush. And as he's voted with Bush 90+ % of the time, I am not surprised that McCain would go in the direction of Bush's policy's.

But as this is probably taking things way off topic...

Well, I suppose that we will just have to agree to disagree - respectfully.

I agree to disagree, respectfully, as we are all entitled to our own opinions. You are correct in that I am not an Obama supporter, nor am I a Bush or McCain supporter. This election I am struggling with who to vote for. I am disappointed Obama did not choose Hillary Clinton as his running mate. He may speak for years about change but my question remains about his track record and whether he is capable of pulling it off. I'll take a U2 show over any political speech or convention any day :up:

Hi Carek, this was my experience.

To answer your question...I take great pride in my political awareness because I happen to think that it's important and vital for my future. I was inspired to action and became VERY involved for the first time in the political process because of this man. Much like Bono's example of service, Obama's example has moved me to take action in my community and really get involved, not just vote, but volunteer and give back.

If you are passionate about McCain or whomever I encourage you to participate in the process, it's the lifeline of our great country.

Please let's be respectful. This night was historic regardless of your affiliation and the 45th anniversary of Dr.King's (one of Bono's heroes) I Have a Dream speech, thus making it all the more poetic for me especially since Dr. King is a hero of mine as well.

Some exerpts:

"No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until "justice rolls down like waters, and righteousness like a mighty stream...

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character....

From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

And when this happens, when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual: Free at last! Free at last!

Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Peace
Jeannie:wave:

I applaude you for taking pride in your political awareness, activism and belief in this great country we live in. No disrespect from me at all and I meant no disrespect when I posted. As I said before I am not an Obama supporter nor am I a Bush or McCain supporter. And to each his/her own-another freedom of ours as Americans is free speech. I have been a registered voter since I turned 18 and have voted in every major and local election faithfully since then. I taught my son the importance of researching the candidates and issues and voting since he turned 18. I work the Polls when I can and I have volunteered for local political candidates as has my entire family. No need to assume I haven't or to encourage me to participate politically as I have. This is the first election albeit major one where I am at a loss as to where to place my vote. I will vote, my voice will be heard.

I just wanted to clarify that I meant no disrespect to anyone, and the fact I do not support Obama should in turn be respected.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread topic......

Second, it is a very unfair and dangerous position for us to say that we "know" what Bono thinks and feels.

We simply do not know with certainty what he thinks and feels.

If you want to quote him and say that you think that this is what he feels - fine.

But to state that you know what Bono feels is simply wrong - unless you can prove that you have heard him make certain statements to support your position.

Um....yeah, you took those comments WAY too seriously.

I'll leave it at that.

*snip*

I just wanted to clarify that I meant no disrespect to anyone, and the fact I do not support Obama should in turn be respected.

I just want to chime in and say that I admire yours and everyone else's care to have this discussion with such civility. There seems to be so much at stake this election and passions run so high, it is certainly refreshing to see. Kudos! :applaud:

You may continue... ;)

I applaude you for taking pride in your political awareness, activism and belief in this great country we live in. No disrespect from me at all and I meant no disrespect when I posted. As I said before I am not an Obama supporter nor am I a Bush or McCain supporter. And to each his/her own-another freedom of ours as Americans is free speech. I have been a registered voter since I turned 18 and have voted in every major and local election faithfully since then. I taught my son the importance of researching the candidates and issues and voting since he turned 18. I work the Polls when I can and I have volunteered for local political candidates as has my entire family. No need to assume I haven't or to encourage me to participate politically as I have. This is the first election albeit major one where I am at a loss as to where to place my vote. I will vote, my voice will be heard.

I'll just say once more that this discussion is best left to the FYM and/or the EYKIW forums.

PLEASE do not confuse Bono with Obama - they are two different people. :up:

Sorry Karen - that was not meant for you. That was meant for all my fellow Obama supporters. :wink:

I heard that he was not there.

I'm just going to say one more thing:

I think it's frightening how people are reacting to Obama; charisma won't fix our country.

That is all.

I applaude you for taking pride in your political awareness, activism and belief in this great country we live in. No disrespect from me at all and I meant no disrespect when I posted.
As I said before I am not an Obama supporter nor am I a Bush or McCain supporter. And to each his/her own-another freedom of ours as Americans is free speech. I have been a registered voter since I turned 18 and have voted in every major and local election faithfully since then. I taught my son the importance of researching the candidates and issues and voting since he turned 18. I work the Polls when I can and I have volunteered for local political candidates as has my entire family. No need to assume I haven't or to encourage me to participate politically as I have. This is the first election albeit major one where I am at a loss as to where to place my vote. I will vote, my voice will be heard.

That's great, I applaud you also for volunteering.:applaud:

I am glad you meant no disrepect, but that is not what it sounded like.

And I think I am being extremely respectful of your "non support" of Senator Obama. Good for you and good luck with your decision whomever you vote for! :wave:

Jamila, peace be with you.

Jeannie

Hey girls...
It was just confirmed that Bono WAS there. I have proof but no pictures yet. How you say?

My cousin Todd is a reporter for the Rocky Mt. News in Denver and he was working the floor that night. I sent him an email yesterday asking if there was any buzz about Bono that wasn't publicly printed and he finally answered back. This is what he wrote:

"Bono was there and was laying low. He was at the Vanity Fair party on Wednesday and I would have like to met him but didn't get the chance."

He wanted to stay out of the limelight because this was Barack's moment.
Love him! Some pictures might turn up later somewhere since he was at that party.
I will keep looking.
Jeannie:D:hyper:

Back
Top Bottom