Bono & Brian Eno in Roxy Music DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I just finished watching "Roxy Music: More Than This" (DVD) documentary about Roxy Music.

U2 worthy as (obviously) Brian Eno was is Roxy Music, and is interviewed in the documentary. Not only do they talk to Roxy band members but artists that were influenced by Roxy Music, including Steve Jones (Sex Pistols), John Taylor (Duran Duran), Nile Rodgers (Chic), Siouxsie (Siouxsie and the Banshees) and representing the Irish Contingent, Bono!

The documentary was made around 2008, so the Bono footage is fairly new.

Here's the cover (Brian being in the center with the leopard skin shirt/gold pants. Classic old school Eno picture):

RoxyMusic-MoreThanThis-DVDcover.jpg

And perhaps Phil Manzanera's faux diamond encrusted glasses were an influence on Bono and The Fly?

Although the story goes that Fintan brought Bono the glasses but maybe he did so as a homage/thought of Roxy Music?

Anywho... I could totally see Bono rockin' the diamond encrusted Fly-like shades for a photo shoot.

Although, it'd be FUNNIER if Larry Mullen Jr. did, as that would be so unlike him.

*imagines Larry in the glasses*.........:lmao:

thakns for this e_o - I was thinking about getting this for my dad actually, he loves his Roxy Music. :yes: hm, gives me even more of an excuse to watch it eh?
I like Roxy Music. :up:

*imagines Larry in the glasses*.........:lmao:

thakns for this e_o - I was thinking about getting this for my dad actually, he loves his Roxy Music. :yes: hm, gives me even more of an excuse to watch it eh?
I like Roxy Music. :up:

It's a pretty cool DVD. I got it for around $14. So it was not so expensive. Great insight into Roxy Music. One can see that they were far more influencial than most of America might think, just by the guest interviews alone. I say get a copy and enjoy. :up:

and representing the Irish Contingent, Bono!

[/IMG]
I understand the Eno/U2 link, but if ever there was a band less influenced by Roxy than U2, I don't know who it is. Edge often mentioned around UF how they were influenced by solo Eno (Before and After Science always getting a mention) but never Roxy.

I understand the Eno/U2 link, but if ever there was a band less influenced by Roxy than U2, I don't know who it is. Edge often mentioned around UF how they were influenced by solo Eno (Before and After Science always getting a mention) but never Roxy.

Actually, Bono mentioned that Roxy Music highly influence U2. That influence can be seen a lot in their 1990's music. Bono mentioned that he admired Bryan Ferry's approach to vocals and that it was to some extent, close to his own. Larry Mullen has mentioned seeing Roxy Music on Top of the Pops was a huge influence and that he admired the drumming of Paul Thompson (Roxy Music's drummer). And Bono also mentions, in the DVD, that Roxy's guitarist Phil Manzanera playing wasn't the old blues standard rock approach and that Phil strove for new sounds and that approach was a huge influence on The Edge.

So sounds like U2 were influenced, to some extent, by them from the DVD and some of the interviews that I've heard and read over time.

And perhaps Phil Manzanera's faux diamond encrusted glasses were an influence on Bono and The Fly?

I've thought the same thing! The first time I saw those glasses I thought, "They sort of make him look like a fly... hey wait!"

Thanks for mentioning this DVD, too. I'm a fan of Roxy Music as well.

Bono loves brian ferry, he talked about him quite much in several interviews

Back
Top Bottom