AWF Launches 10th Build a Well for Bono's Birthday - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:07 PM
AWF Launches 10th Build a Well for Bono's Birthday

African Well Fund Launches 10th Annual Build a Well for Bono's Birthday Fundraiser

The African Well Fund is pleased to announce the launch of the 10th Annual Build a Well for Bono's Birthday fundraiser. The organization is celebrating a "Decade of H2OPE" by raising funds to benefit a water, sanitation and hygiene project in Burkina Faso that will be implemented by African Well Fund partner Africare and aims to create a healthy environment for 257 schoolchildren.

For more information on the project, click here.

From World Water Day, March 22nd, through Bono's birthday, May 10th, the African Well Fund invites U2 fans and others who are inspired by Bono's tireless activism on behalf of Africa to make a donation through the organization's website in honor of his 52nd birthday. The organization will also be raising funds by selling limited-edition prints through its website, T-shirts through its Zazzle store and by hosting a special eBay auction in May. All donors are invited to add their names and birthday wishes to a card on the African Well Fund website that will be sent to Bono in care of Principle Management.

"It's hard to believe that this is the 10th Bono birthday well fundraiser," said Diane Yoder, African Well Fund board vice chairman. "I still remember the very first fundraiser, our goal was to raise $1,000 to build a single well and we raised $10,000. We were so blown away by the response. It really hit home seven months later when we received our first well report from Africare. To realize that that $10,000 was really having a direct impact on so many people's lives was such an overwhelming feeling. I remember feeling very humbled and privileged to have been a part of the project."

Donations from the nine previous Build a Well for Bono's Birthday fundraisers have totaled more than $213,000 and have been used to fund clean water and sanitation projects implemented by AWF partner Africare to benefit more than 56,000 people in Angola, Benin, Liberia, Uganda and Zimbabwe.

"Bono's music and advocacy may have been the inspiration, but the idea behind AWF gave me the hands and feet to be able to turn that inspiration into a reality," said Rob Trigalet, African Well Fund board chairman. "AWF has changed the shape and the course of my life and I could not be prouder of the all people who worked so hard to accomplish all of these things. From the U2 fans, to the elementary school students, from the individuals who organized fundraisers to the folks that have donated $5 here or $10 there and from each and every volunteer to all of the Board of Directors past and present, who have worked so hard. It's the cumulative effect of all these people, from all walks of life, coming together that have made a positive and lasting change in the lives of so many Africans possible."

The African Well Fund is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to the mission of funding clean water and sanitation projects in sub-Saharan Africa. Since its founding in 2002, the organization has raised more than $985,000 to fund 242 projects in 15 countries, benefiting more than 325,000 people.

To make a donation to the Build a Well for Bono's Birthday project and add your greeting to the birthday card, click here.

dsmith2904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

This limited-edition print is now available on the African Well Fund website. All proceeds will benefit the Build a Well for Bono's Birthday project in Burkina Faso. To purchase the print, or make a donation to this year's project, click here.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Check out the new Decade of H2OPE merchandise available in AFW's Zazzle store. All proceeds will benefit this year's Build a Well for Bono's Birthday project in Burkina Faso.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Once you've made your donation or made a purchase to benefit Build a Well for Bono's Birthday, don't forget to add your greeting to the birthday card here.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:07 PM
Thanks
bonocomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Babyface

Local Time: 04:07 PM
Build A Well For Bono's Birthday, a Pinterest Board

Hi, in honor of this year's Build A Well For Bono's Birthday, African Well Fund we've created a Pinterest Board dedicated to Bono +H20 if you have images fitting this theme (and if anyone does, PLEBA does) please tag them #BonoWell and we'll repin them
remoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
Babyface

Local Time: 04:07 PM
The address for the Pinterest board is: http://pinterest.com/africanwellfund/bono-h2o/
remoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

AWF Auctioning Celebrity Doodles to Raise Money for Birthday Well Project in Burkina Faso

As part of its 10th Annual Build a Well for Bono's Birthday Fundraiser, the African Well Fund is auctioning drawings by celebrities including George Clooney, Elvis Costello and Anton Corbijn to raise money to fund a water, sanitation and hygiene project in Burkina Faso that will be implemented by African Well Fund partner Africare and aims to create a healthy environment for 257 schoolchildren. The auction will run May 5-12 on eBay.

"Bono has inspired so many people to care about Africa and its people, not just U2 fans like us, but also his many famous friends and fans," said Abbey Fisher, doodle project coordinator. "We wanted to do something special to honor Bono and celebrate the 10th Annual Build a Well for Bono's Birthday fundraiser, so our board president, Rob Trigalet, had a great idea for us to ask Bono's celebrity friends and fans to draw a doodle, either of Bono or of an image reflecting his work throughout the African continent. We have gotten a great response, and I am thrilled with the doodles we've received so far from celebrities like George Clooney, Elvis Costello and Anton Corbijn. It shows us that people really want to help those who go without clean water and sanitation on a daily basis, and it's a great opportunity to reach new supporters for our lifesaving projects."

From World Water Day, March 22nd, through Bono's birthday, May 10th, AWF is inviting U2 fans and others who are inspired by Bono's tireless activism on behalf of Africa to make a donation through the organization's website in honor of his 52nd birthday. AWF is also raising funds by selling limited-edition prints through its website and T-shirts through its Zazzle store. All donors are invited to add their names and birthday wishes to a card on the African Well Fund website that will be sent to Bono in care of Principle Management.

For more information on the Burkina Faso project, click here.

Donations from the nine previous Build a Well for Bono's Birthday fundraisers have totaled more than $213,000 and have been used to fund clean water and sanitation projects implemented by AWF partner Africare to benefit more than 56,000 people in Angola, Benin, Liberia, Uganda and Zimbabwe.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

AWF Auctioning Bono-Signed Print - African Well Fund News

In addition to auctioning doodles created by George Clooney, Elvis Costello and Anton Corbijn, the African Well Fund is also auctioning a print signed by Bono to benefit the Build a Well Fund for Bono's Birthday project in Burkina Faso. The auctions will run May 5-12 on eBay.

Bono signed the print, which is a reproduction of an original gouache painting by Azalea Millet of Bono holding an African child, prior to the U2 360 show in Denver last year. The 11x17 print is on white medium glossy paper and includes the Bono quote, "This is our moment to stand up for what is right."

This is the third Bono-signed print AWF has auctioned. Bono Street Team founder Dion Simte donated each of the signed prints.

The 10th Annual Build a Well for Bono's Birthday fundraiser is benefiting a water, sanitation and hygiene project in Burkina Faso that will be implemented by African Well Fund partner Africare and aims to create a healthy environment for 257 schoolchildren. For more information on the project in Burkina Faso, click here. For more information on the fundraiser, click here.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

You can start bidding on this drawing by Anton Corbijn beginning Saturday.
Attached Thumbnails
Corbjn-Doodle.jpg  
Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:07 PM
Ha! That's funny.
bonocomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Here's Elvis Costello's contribution to the auction:
Attached Thumbnails
Costello-Doodle.jpg  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #13
The Fly

Excellent. I can add another t-shirt to my collection then.
moiph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

George Clooney submitted this doodle for the auction. Bidding begins tomorrow here.
Attached Thumbnails
Clooney-Doodle.jpg  
Old 05-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiph View Post
Excellent. I can add another t-shirt to my collection then.
Thanks!!

Tags
awf, bono's birthday, build a well