African Well Fund's 9th Annual Build a Well for Bono's Birthday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For all of the auction winners, once you get your photo and have it hung in your house, office, etc., snap a picture of yourself with it and share it with African Well Fund on Facebook so we can recognize you for your generosity and the concert photographer for their talent. Thanks!!

For all of the auction winners, once you get your photo and have it hung in your house, office, etc., snap a picture of yourself with it and share it with African Well Fund on Facebook so we can recognize you for your generosity and the concert photographer for their talent. Thanks!!

Cute idea! :cute:

AWF Auctioning Bono-Signed Print to Benefit Build a Well for Bono's Birthday

To close out the ninth annual Build a Well for Bono's Birthday fundraiser, the African Well Fund is auctioning a print signed by Bono prior to U2's May 21 concert in Denver.

The signed print, which was donated by Bono Street Team founder Dion Simte, is a reproduction of the original gouache painting by Azalea Millet of Bono holding an African child from a trip to Ghana in 2002 and features Bono's quote, "This is our moment ... to stand up for what is right" from the 2005 Live8 concert. The signature reads "Bono 2011".

BST%20AUTOGRAPHED%20PRINT.jpg

The five-day print auction begins Tuesday, May 31. To place a bid, click here.

Proceeds from this auction will benefit the ninth annual Build a Well for Bono's Fundraiser, which is raising funds for clean water and sanitation projects that will be implemented by AWF partner Africare at four girls' schools in Benin that are supported by Angelique Kidjo's Batonga Foundation. To make a donation or add your message to Bono's birthday card, click here.

Less than two days left to place your [http://cgi.ebay.com/Bono-Autographed-Print_W0QQitemZ290571680533QQihZ019QQcategoryZ61QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]bids[/url] on the signed Bono print.

None of this--the amount raised during Build a Well for Bono's Birthday, the nearly $1 million raised since 2002, the projects built, the people helped, the meeting with Bono--would have been possible without the overwhelming generosity of all AWF supporters. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

'You Are the People Who Make My Birthday Every Year': AWF Meets Bono

Five current and former African Well Fund board members met with Bono prior to U2's recent show at Vanderbilt Stadium in Nashville. During the meeting, the board members presented Bono with his handmade birthday card and let him know over $16,000 had been raised during the 9th Annual Build a Well for Bono's Birthday fundraiser.

Bono told the board members, "You are the people who make my birthday every year," when given the card. He expressed his appreciation for the donations and mentioned that the whole band has been inspired by what AWF has accomplished because of the amazing support of its donors and volunteers. "You just show that it can be done," he said.

The mixed-media birthday card presented to Bono was created by AWF Board Member Lara Wineman, and was made of cardboard, punchinella, acrylic paint, sewing pattern tissue paper and found objects. It contained all of the birthday messages left for Bono by donors.

"It was thrilling, of course, to be part of the AWF delegation that presented the card to Bono, but what struck me the most was Bono's comment that the band found AWF's work so inspiring," said Diane Yoder, AWF board vice chairman. "I have always thought of AWF as a way for U2 fans to 'pay it forward'--to turn inspiration into action. I had never considered that this action would in turn inspire the band. I am proud to be part of our organization, and am eternally grateful to all the donors and volunteers who have stood by us through the years."

Prior to the meeting, the board members passed out AWF water bottles filled with cold water to people waiting in the Nashville GA line and met with supporters.

Funds raised during this year's Build a Well for Bono's Birthday fundraiser will benefit clean water and sanitation projects that will be implemented by AWF partner Africare at four girls' schools in Benin supported by Angelique Kidjo's Batonga Foundation. AWF is still in need of $5,500 to fully fund this project. If you would like to make a donation, please click here.

Lara%20Bono%20Talking.jpg

Bono holds the card, presented by AWF Board Member and artist Lara Wineman.

card01.jpg

A front view of the card and the messages it contains.

Click here to view more pictures from the meeting and of the card.

The card is beautiful! Really, very special.

I'm very moved by the whole project and how so many people participate. :heart:

AWF Wants to Hear From You!
AWF has created a survey to find out more about how your get AWF news and updates, why and how you support AWF, and what we can do to strengthen our relationship with you, our donors and volunteers. We're constantly looking for ways to improve our organization, and would appreciate you taking the time to answer this quick, 10-question survey to help us grow and improve as we approach both the $1 million mark and our 10th anniversary.

African Well Fund 2011 Supporter Survey

Back
Top Bottom