Zoostation vs. Always

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BabyGrace

Refugee
You know how we kinda agreed that Zoostation summed up the change in U2? Well, I think Always is the same, even if it is not on the album. The "put your head over the parapet...be uncool, yes be awkward" part refers to their change of being "unafraid". And the "what we've lost, we don't need" refers back to the theme of Walk On...only taking the essentials. Most of the lyrics fit really well, actually...those are just two examples.
Go back and listen and tell me what ya think
smile.gif

------------------
Everyone argues, then we do what I say.
-Bono

I see the comparisons! Both are declarations of change and fresh expression. Zoo Station sums up the whole mood of Achtung Baby by saying "I'm ready for whats next", I suppose it was an early hint at Zoo Tv and the suprise of supporting and even being in a band like U2. I prefer the message in Always than in Beautiful day. I still think Always would have made a superb opening number on ATYCLB!

I really like Always...it sounds like a bit of a spin off from Beautiful Day though but maybe it was the other way round. Both songs capture the sound U2 were going after on ATYCLB...fresh, vibrant energy....so yeah I guess it does indicate the direction they were going in with this album. Always sounded like it could have been made into the single instead of BD but I'm happy enough with either one.

Nah, Big Girls Are Best sums up everything just fine
wink.gif

------------------
Youth is wasted on the young.....well then....
Life is wasted on the living!
Joey Joe Joe Junior Schoobaloob

Kite was also a good transition song... "I don't know which way the wind will blow"... and I think that it allowed for a reflection (career-wise), which has been avoided in most songs by U2. The transition from POP to All That You Can't Leave Behind was probably less severe than the change with Achtung Baby; also, by limiting U2 to just one song, in any respect, is a difficult task.

Nonetheless, I do agree with the comparison of Zoostation to Always. Both foreshadowing songs with optimism.

Gotta go, mysterious ways is on the radio...

Last edited:
It must have been, I didn't look at when the thread started.

I have to admit that when I saw this thread's title I was a bit confused, but when you put it that way, I definitely see the connection...and I love both songs!

Back
Top Bottom