Yahweh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For me, those simple words and the way they are sung along with the music sets a mood and atmosphere and a visual picture in my mind. I find that a lot of lyrics seem stupid and strange when just read but when they are performed they make much more sense. That is true for any songs.

What do you find so terrible about this line?

Dana

^I totally agree, love the whole song because of the atmosphere it creates.

I don't see the point in starting a topic just to say that you "hate" a particular line in a song. I believe this forum should be about discussing the meaning of song lyrics.

when i first heard this, i replayed it over and over- i am not religious, but it is an incredibly spiritual song. i agree totally with Dana and unicorn. it is simply sweet, calling out to a higher power . the words, the music and the voice make it gospel like.

Pop Pius V said:

fucking hate it

i really really love the bridge to this song. you know, the "love is like a drop in the ocean" part, where it builds and builds.

It is a great song and a really good album closer. and i really love the way the special edition and itunes edition of the album have Fast Cars come in right after it and set the record straight.

my only complaint about Yahweh is that when they play it live, they strip it down (which is fine... i think it brings out a deeper beauty), but they cut the bridge, which is the best part of the song.

I hate it when U2 does that! like on the UK single version of Walk On, which is cool because it trims out the intro spoken word stuff and adds the live-style closer with the Hallelujahs, but cuts the bridge out completely. Boo!

Nigel Godrich (Beck: Sea Change, Radiohead) should have known better than that.

I never liked this song, especially when my mate sung it badly with his guitar round the camp fire...

I do like the alternative version, has better drums in it I think

something about that click clack that lyrically is too generic to me.

I've never thought about click clacking down some dead end street.

. . .. now, a street with no name

that's another story.

:)

Pop Pius V said:

Have you ever heard a wooden shoe against pavement or concrete? It's really not that deep or hate worthy, it's just describing a sound...

Pop Pius V said:
something about that click clack that lyrically is too generic to me.

. . .. now, a street with no name

that's another story.

:)

Here's the thing:
i like yahweh, BUT

if given the choice between

"Take these shoes
click clacking down some dead end street.
Take these shoes
and make them fit"

OR

"Take these boots
they're going nowhere
You know these boots
don't want to stray"

I will take THE BOOTS over THE SHOES any day of the week.:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Take this shirt
Polyester white trash made in nowhere

I call that clunky. Clunky clunky.

I know that a lot of people disagree.

is there anyone out there that sees what I'm talking about?

I see that you prefer to wear cotton. I agree that polyester is clunky. Cotton breathes.

seriously though, I would prefer:

"Take my shirt,
go on take it off
you can tear it up
if you can tie me down"

does everyone get that I am stating Do You Feel Loved approaches lyrics almost the exact same way but with much better results?

I hope so.

you know what?

I just heard van morrison's madage george and I bet bono got

click clacking

from that song.

that would make me feel a little better, that it's a little less clunky if it's an allusion.

The thing is that it doesn't. Although the narrator is asking for someone to take him....through taking pieces off of him...he's talking with a different tone and to a different (person). Before, its a cynical depiction of sex...now it is an earnest praise and admisssion to God. Personally, I like both songs but for different reasons.

I just meant lyrically. Borrowing click-clacking as an homage to van morrison not so much alluding to the song's meaning.

I like both songs too. I just don't dig on bono's lyrics in that song so much.

Back
Top Bottom