Wot are people's views on the lyrics in Electrical Storm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1 love 1 life

The Fly
Electrical Storm is one of my fave songs. I kinda associate the lyrics to love and the arguments that sometimes occur between two people in a relationship. Wot r ur views on the lyrics?

I know...that line is a really odd choice. In a way i spose the line is meant to set the atmosphere...maybe to imply its hot and humid. The kind of atmosphere in a storm...haha....yer i agree with you...that line is a weird one.:huh:

I think this song is about an impossible love.
As Bono says:
"You're in my mind all of the time , I know that's not enough...
Well if the sky can crack there must be someway back for love and only love.... "

He wants them to get back together and that their relationship would be base on love and only love, because there is love between them and both of them know it, it's just that there were other things that mess it all.
I think it's a painful love song. A true love that can't become real.

" The air is heavy , heavy as a truck" - The couple are in the same room and they are about to break up, they feel heavy and it's hard to breath or say anything because they want to be together and they can't ... so they hope for a miracle for a storm to come and wash away their unfortune luck. The storm in this song is a methaphore to the times they were passioned and in love. There was an electrical storm between them and they want to feel it again.

The storm can also be a methaphore to their breaking up as a lightening split the sky into two. they must break up and not because they are not in love , they must break up because of things they can't control ,as we can't control the weather.

I love the lyrics, except the Heavy as a Truck thing...I get that it's talking about tension in the atmosphere, but you'd think the man who wrote Lemon could come up with something a little more...poetic? than comparing it to a truck and using a simile on top of it!:wink:

Anyway, love the rest, it's about some sort of strained relationship, it doesn't have fully developed characters like Stay, but it has a definite atmosphere that I can't explain in words. It's like I could overanalyze the song and come up with characters and a plot, but I don't want to, I just like the atmosphere and the feeling---lyrics and music fit really well together! Sorry, I just love the song, I know a lot of people slag off on it but it's one of the first U2 songs I got into!:drool:

'you're in my mind all of the time...I know it's not enough'

enough said....

'bad love'

sounds like an impossible love affair to me

Mermaids tempt remember... sirens of the sea...

(De-La-Mere)

who lure unsuspecting men onto the rocks (allegedly)

I'm sure the reality is quite different...

Last edited:
I always took it as a long standing relationship/marriage on the rocks. 'If the sky can crack, there must be some way back, to love and only love'.
I thought it might be B and Ali going through a bad patch.

I love ES bigtime. Its powerful. I dunno, I understand a tune best the first time I hear it & it rocked me. I WAS there. it was like my big breakup. the air was heavy like a truck & i know i was with her cause i was dreaming someone elses dream (hers), (she's) in my mind all of the time I know that's not enough (cause she'll never forgive me no matter how much i think of her), Baby don't cry (all she did was cry...). I dunno. I lived this tune. we loved U2 & they were our band. what can I say but that this tune is a very real refection of our breakup. I know bono doesnt have my life in his head when he's writing a tune but this one seems really close. it is this alone that makes u2 special to me. thats my soul up there so thanks for reading...

passtheback i felt like i was there too... it's nice to know that there are people in this world that hear the same song and it touches each one of us in a different way.

The interpretation i wrote few trades above was a result of a big love that i have.

I study Electrical eng. and i crazy fell in love with a guy from my faculty.It happened for both of us at the first time we saw each other.
At the same time i found out that he likes me, I also found out that he is my teacher on the course i took!!!!!!!!! (he is a young teacher)

We didn't had the courage to tell each other what we feel,but it was obvious and we couldn't hide it.
Each time we met it was like an "electrical storm"
At the test i wasn't concentrate at all and it was very difficult for me to ask him questions. He acted to me differently from other students. But finally that course was over...

On the next semester I picked up a project and found out that he is the guidance of the proj.... so i cancelled it immediately!!!! (and he found out about it).

He used to stare at me, and each time I noticed it he turned his eyes away (although we knew each other...)
One day i came to his room and just pured my heart out. He acted like he never noticed what happened at all. I knew he was lying to me, because he was very nervous. so I got mad and told him " I know that there are things i've never imagined , But as you wish..."
when i tried going out from his room he stopped me from doing that and said that he felt the same!! and start to review all the things that happened between us.
I didn't know what to do and was confused...
He said he thought i wasn't interested and he was too shy to tell me that .He also thought that i had someone else and said he still likes me... (" need the rain to wash away our bad luck")

But i was so disappointed from him and my heart was so broken because he lied to me at the beginning of our conversation.
I felt too heavy to get up from the chair and go away , but i did it.

As the song says:
"tide as hell honey in this room, sure hope the weather will break soon, the air is heavy ,heavy as a truck,we need the rain to wash away our bad luck".

I know he is sorry for what he has done and that he still likes me
(i can still see it in his eyes) he is just fucking too proud and too shy to admit it.

I still love him ,actually "he is in my mind all of the time, and i know that's not enough..."
and sometimes i hope that: "If the sky can crack there must be someway back for love and only love, ELECTRICAL STORM"

That's why i just LOVE this powerfull song.
Thank you for listenning ,i needed that.

The lyrics - the tension - might also refer to the world with the terrorist threat after 9/11.

meital-

i really liked your take on the song in your first post, but the personal story added to it takes it to a whole different level.
The great part about your story is that you took that element that you thought was uncontrollable and for a moment you had control. Once you put it into action, the results were all questionmarks.

I was in a relationship at the time of the song's release that perfectly described and associated to what was happening with me at the time. I also have a fascination with the weather and in past artworks of mine, I have used the weather as a metaphor for the constant changes that we go through in our lives, many of which seem uncontrollable to some degree.

Great to read that other people follow and relate to the same metaphor that the band does with ES.

You know, this has got to be one of the only U2 songs that i've never considered what the lyrics are about.

oh well

Back
Top Bottom