With or without you - rattle and hum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flameandthefire

The Fly
Quick question about rattle and hum With or Without You. You native English speakers can help me out with this one. What are the exact lyrics to last extra verse?

Ooh we'll shine like stars in the summer night, we'll shine like stars in the winter light OR winter night? light or night???

THANKS!!!

I'm pretty certain is 'Winter Night' Flameandthefire but someone else might know better.

Yeah, it is Winter Night (the lilt in his voice when he says it is a comparitive vocal structure, putting the emphasis on the word WINTER to compare it to the previous verse, essentially saying that "we will shine like stars every night, both summer AND winter"

by the way, in my opinion (and I know axver will disagree and cite some rare archived performance from the Lovetown tour, and he would probably be right....) the version from Rattle And Hum is the best version of With Or Without you they have ever recorded. And they should have retired it soon afterwards (though When I saw them on the Elevation tour, they sang it with the summer night / winter night ending and I almost pissed myself with excitement, so i am glad they didn't retire it)

Just for the record, although Bono sung "winter night" on RAH, he didn't always use the same lyrics in that verse. "Light" has been used, as well as more drastic alterations, such as "we'll shine like stars and it'll be alright".

Clawgrabber said:
by the way, in my opinion (and I know axver will disagree and cite some rare archived performance from the Lovetown tour, and he would probably be right....) the version from Rattle And Hum is the best version of With Or Without you they have ever recorded.

:lol: RAH WOWY is one of my favourites, but you are quite right, there are Lovetown performances - and some JT Tour performances - that I would say are better. While WOWY with the Shine Like Stars verse is incredible, I think it became even better when Bono added a snippet of Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart.

My two favourites are probably 22 April 1987, Los Angeles and 30 December 1989, Dublin.

annie_vox said:
I never saw that snippet :ohmy: I love Joy Division! Where can I find it?

Love Will Tear Us Apart was snippeted in the majority of JT/Lovetown performances and a good amount of 1992 ZooTV performances, but has been pretty rare since then. I count myself very lucky to have heard it twice (in conjunction with a snippet of INXS's Never Tear Us Apart) on the fifth leg of the Vertigo Tour. I think it's been snippeted roughly 80 times. Most of the really good JT and Lovetown Tour bootlegs feature it.

Furthermore, at the 28 October 2005, Montreal concert, U2 performed a full cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart with The Arcade Fire.

I should also note that brief snippets of Transmission and She's Lost Control have been done on a few occasions on the last two tours.

annie_vox said:
^^ thank you!! I'm going to look for it;) I don't have many none official concerts so I never saw it... It must be amazing though.

It was really just Bono singing the title line multiple times, though it sounded quite good I think.

Here's all the occasions it was snippeted that I know of (if this isn't complete, it's pretty damn close): http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/Love_Will_Tear_Us_Apart-s82.html

And for Joy Division-snippets-by-U2 completists:

Transmission: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/Transmission-s368.html
She's Lost Control: http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/Shes_Lost_Control-s536.html

The only gig where all three JD snippets Bono has used have appeared in the same concert: 2001-08-15, Birmingham

Axver said:

Love Will Tear Us Apart was snippeted in the majority of JT/Lovetown performances and a good amount of 1992 ZooTV performances, but has been pretty rare since then. I count myself very lucky to have heard it twice (in conjunction with a snippet of INXS's Never Tear Us Apart) on the fifth leg of the Vertigo Tour. I think it's been snippeted roughly 80 times. Most of the really good JT and Lovetown Tour bootlegs feature it.

Furthermore, at the 28 October 2005, Montreal concert, U2 performed a full cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart with The Arcade Fire.

I should also note that brief snippets of Transmission and She's Lost Control have been done on a few occasions on the last two tours.

A very, very nice one from recent performances: WOWY including INXS's "Never Tear Us Apart" & Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart". It was performed in a very beautiful way by the singer (what a voice!) and the band playing perfectly together in Australia: Melbourne 1st night 2006 ...

on the vertigo tour in 2005 I don't know how often they did this but in san diego (March 30) the sixth song they played was WOWY, right before NYD and it was amazing. It was completely understated and without event the song came through beautifully like you were re-hearing it. Just the band playing it. It was amazing.

I don't know about retiring it but I think they need to stop playing it at the end. (I would say the same about one too)

I'm with Axver on this one. Don't know which date it's from, but the Lovetown WOWY that used to be on the early P2P sites under the title 'best acoustic' for some reason, is stunning! Diff guitar solo and Bono soars.

The RAH version is great, although not from a live concert.

Axver, are these downloadable-the sites you provide just give access to the lyrics etc.
I should check torrents and the like???
thk you

'With Or Without You' from Dec.30, 1989 is possibly my favorite version of all time. IF it had the same sound quality (its still soundboard) as Rattle And Hum, it would be utterly mind blowing. The band was so on that night and Bono's voice was dripping sweet soul music and sunlight :drool:

Back
Top Bottom