Wild horses is wild romance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonriver

The Fly
I read at the U2 MOL site that Larry once said that 'wild horses' is about a romance one of them had with a fan. And there's said that Bono changed the sentence 'Baby, can we still be friends?' in to 'Baby, I'm glad we're still friends.'

So is this song about a love-affair that could not last? Or has anybody a different interpretation of this song?

I think the lyrics refer to a love that was not supposed to be. You love the person, but it just doesn't work out. Temptation of the forbidden also plays a very important role: 'You're an accident waiting to happen. You're a piece of glass left there on the beach'

The narrator knows this love can not last because the circumstances are wrong or because he's already in a relationship. But it's very hard to resist: 'The doors you open, I just can't close.'

But he realizes he'll have to say goodbye. He still cares about the other...so he hopes at least they will stay friends. (even though friendship could be nearly impossible) He wonders what's going to happen to the other person. That's stated very clearly in the verse. Esp. 'Who's gonna take the place of me?'

So to me it's a bittersweet song about love, choices, letting go and saying goodbye. But it isn't about bitterness, it just about accepting reality. A seperation without anger.

Last edited:
Good analysis...I agree with what you are saying.

I've always described WGRYWH as "painfully beautiful"...it is also my favorite U2 song.

I've been thinking about that song last night and I've always seen it as an affair between Bono and a fan. :yes: Actually one shouldn't see the singer and the person acting in the song as one and the same individual, but it always seemed to me that this song is very personal for Bono and it makes sense that he sings about himself in the song.

You're dangerous 'cause you're honest
>>>>The girl could have gone telling reporters about their affair which would have been a bad publicity for U2 and which would have meant Ali got to know about his affair.

You're dangerous, you don't know what you want
>>>>Well, yeah...wanting a rock star and married man or somebody else. :shrug:

Well you left my heart empty as a vacant lot
For any spirit to haunt
>>>>A see the 'spirit' here as a pun :tongue: meaning alcohol and liquor. The girl left Bono after some time and Bono started drinking, at least for a short time and until the next gig, lol.

You're an accident waiting to happen
>>>>Inevitable reporters-stuff again for me. If she told reporters about it - bad publicity - Ali - disappointment - etc.

You're a piece of glass left there on the beach
>>>>Piece of glass is a beautiful thing, but will also hurt.

Well you tell me things I know you're not supposed to
Then you leave me just out of reach
>>>>Telling him 'I love you' although she shouldn't do so, because he is married and both knew this relationship wouldn't be good.

Who's gonna ride your wild horses
Who's gonna drown in your blue sea
>>>>I think the girl had blue eyes. :sexywink:

Who's gonna fall at the foot of thee
>>>>Bono's likeness for putting women on a podest which can also be seen in other songs shines here through.

Well you stole it 'cause I needed the cash
And you killed it 'cause I wanted revenge
Well you lied to me 'cause I asked you to
Baby, can we still be friends
>>>>The girl did everything for Bono and if he asked her to not eg saying she wanted to spend her life with him, she wouldn't have done it cos he asked her to. And thus he can't believe they are still friends with so many lies - or, like in the live versions, he is glad they *are* still friends although there are lies, lol.

Oh, the deeper I spin
Oh, the hunter will sin for your ivory skin
>>>>Reporters taking photographs of the girl and making her look like a prey to them.

Took a drive in the dirty rain
To a place where the wind calls your name
Under the trees the river laughing at you and me
>>>>Bono going to someplace where no one knows him meeting with the girl and the river seems to me sort of the entire lie which they are living - both know their affair is impossible, but still try to maintain it; it is almost ridiculous how much they try to hold on to that lie and everybody is laughing about them in a way.

Hallelujah, heavens white rose
The doors you open
I just can't close
>>>>I seem to like reporters, but again it looks to me that the doors the girl might open by telling her story to paparazzi might cause prolems which not even Bono can manage although he is a rock star and can do almost everything on this world - except holding back articles about him in newspapers.

Don't turn around, don't turn around again
Don't turn around, your gypsy heart
Don't turn around, and don't look back
Come on now love, don't you look back
>>>>>A call to the girl not to come back because it's the best for the two of them.

Voila.

Thnx Bonochick, I think that 'painfully beautiful' is a good description of WGRYWH. :yes: It's also one of my most favorite songs.

Love your analysis as well, FallingAngel. That reporter-angle is very original. And your explanation of 'any spirit to haunt' as well. Uhoh....a :drunk: :bono:....:wink:

FallingStar said:
I've been thinking about that song last night and I've always seen it as an affair between Bono and a fan. :yes: Actually one shouldn't see the singer and the person acting in the song as one and the same individual, but it always seemed to me that this song is very personal for Bono and it makes sense that he sings about himself in the song.

>>>>The girl could have gone telling reporters about their affair which would have been a bad publicity for U2 and which would have meant Ali got to know about his affair.

For any spirit to haunt
>>>>A see the 'spirit' here as a pun :tongue: meaning alcohol and liquor. The girl left Bono after some time and Bono started drinking, at least for a short time and until the next gig, lol.

>>>>Inevitable reporters-stuff again for me. If she told reporters about it - bad publicity - Ali - disappointment - etc.

>>>>Telling him 'I love you' although she shouldn't do so, because he is married and both knew this relationship wouldn't be good.

>>>>Bono's likeness for putting women on a podest which can also be seen in other songs shines here through.

>>>>The girl did everything for Bono and if he asked her to not eg saying she wanted to spend her life with him, she wouldn't have done it cos he asked her to. And thus he can't believe they are still friends with so many lies - or, like in the live versions, he is glad they *are* still friends although there are lies, lol.

Oh, the deeper I spin
>>>>Reporters taking photographs of the girl and making her look like a prey to them.

>>>>Bono going to someplace where no one knows him meeting with the girl and the river seems to me sort of the entire lie which they are living - both know their affair is impossible, but still try to maintain it; it is almost ridiculous how much they try to hold on to that lie and everybody is laughing about them in a way.

The doors you open
I just can't close
>>>>I seem to like reporters, but again it looks to me that the doors the girl might open by telling her story to paparazzi might cause prolems which not even Bono can manage although he is a rock star and can do almost everything on this world - except holding back articles about him in newspapers.

>>>>>A call to the girl not to come back because it's the best for the two of them.

Voila.

I like this analysis a lot.

Originally posted by Moonriver
The narrator knows this love can not last because the circumstances are wrong or because he's already in a relationship. But it's very hard to resist: 'The doors you open, I just can't close.'

Okay, now that you said that, that line becomes very sad all of a sudden.

I'd never really considered this whole issue for this song before.

Hey, since Achtung Baby has been said to deal with Edge's divorce a lot, perhaps this song pertains to that, too.

I would explain more now, but I've gotta get ready for school here. So I'll go into that when I get home.

Angela

FallingStar said:

For any spirit to haunt

Oh, the deeper I spin

The doors you open
I just can't close

Voila.

As always, you guys put so many interesting twists on every song that makes it more fun to listen to the song.
nice interpretation.

Yeah-thanks to your interpretation, FallingStar, I listened to that song last night in a whole new light.

As for the idea about the song dealing with Edge's divorce...I don't know the details surrounding his divorce and why it happened, but this is kinda how I'm thinking this goes:

"You're dangerous 'cause you're honest
For any spirit to haunt

Then you leave me just out of reach"

Maybe these verses are representing various things that were problems in their relationship.

"Well you stole it 'cause I needed the cash
Baby, can we still be friends"

Stole-stealing hearts, referring to the beginning of their relationship.

Kill-referring to killing the relationship later on, for whatever reasons.

Lie-perhaps there was some lies or something like that in the relationship.

And yet there's hope that Edge and his ex can still remain friends.

"Oh, the deeper I spin
Under the trees the river laughing at you and me"

He still thinks about her, perhaps the river symbolizes something like people think their breaking up is nuts, perhaps they thought that their problems weren't that bad that they could work through them and they were crazy to end things.

"Hallelujah, heavens white rose
The doors you open
I just can't close"

It's hard for Edge to let go of the relationship he had-he and Aislinn were together for a good deal of time.

(I dunno, from what I've read and heard, it sounds like Edge was really upset about the breakup).

"Don't turn around, don't turn around again
Come on now love, don't you look back"

Basically, don't try and beg for forgiveness for whatever happened, don't try and make it better, don't suggest that they go back to the way things were before, don't look back, just accept that they are no longer together and move on with their lives.

And then the chorus, especially the last line in the last chorus of the song that goes "Who's gonna take the place of me?", is Edge wondering who Aislinn will wind up with after him, and Aislinn wondering who Edge will wind up with after her.

Even if this song isn't about Edge's divorce in particular, that whole thing can apply to anybody who's gone through a divorce.

But if it does pertain to Edge's divorce...that's how I interpret that song.

Angela

Ok!!!

Here's my interpretation of the song :

Ur dangerous cos ur honest ,ur dangerous cos u dont know what u want ,Well u left my heart empty as a vacant lot ,for any spirit to haunt.

Meaning :Bono is prolly tellin this girl that she's dangerous because she tells the truth about everything ,that maybe she doesnt know what she wants in life or in a relationship.She went away and left his heart empty as can be without any feelins or knowing how to love as he did when he was with her before.And now that she's left him.......anyone can come and play with his heart and hurt him.:wink:

Ur an accident waiting to happen,ur a piece of glass left there on a beach,well u tell me things i know ur not suppose to,then u leave me out of reach.

Meaning : He's tellin her that she's a mistake trying to destroy his life.......that he's hurting inside because one minute she's tellin him how much she loves him and the next minute she justs leaves him without any reasons or words.:sad:

Whose gonna ride ur wild horses????Whose gonna drown in ur deep blue sea????Whose gonna ride ur wild horses?????Whose gonna fall at the foot of thee?

Meaning :He's asking her who's gonna play ur wild games ,who's gonna listen to ur sorrows and problems ,who's gonna stand u for u and ur bad ways ,who's gonna hold u and take care of u like he did.He's tryin to tell her that no other man would ever take what he took when they were together from her. :(

Well u stole it cos i needed the cash ,and u killed it because i needed revenge ,well u lied to me cos i asked u too,baby can we still be friends????

Meaning : He's telling her about the many things that she did for him ,changed his life ,make him realize what being loved meant.....And after all the begging and trying to convince her to stay .......he says can we atleast be friends?????

The deeper i spin ,the hunter will sin -for ur invory skin .Took a drive in the dirty rain to a place wheere the wind calls ur name under the trees the river laughing at u and me.

Meaning :The more and more he tried to find her ,the more and more he'd try to convince her to come back to him.He'd tried finding her in places where he thought she might be and if he suceeds and get her back........people would laugh because they know she's just playing games with his heart. :mad:

Halliujah ,heavens white rose ,the doors u open i just cant close.

Meaning : Oh sweet angel of heaven.........u opened my heart made me feel loved in ur special way and i just cant close it because u give up on our relationship.

CHROUS SAME MEANING

Dont turn around ,Dont turn around around ,Dont turn around ur gypsy heart ,dont turn around again ,dont turn around again dont look back ,come on now love dont look back.

Meaning : After trying to find her , he justs gives up......he tells her dont come back u have an evil heart dont come back because if u do........ he might not be around and there isnt gonna be a second chance. :scream: :scream:

Tell me what u think!!!!!!!!

Re: Ok!!!

EveClayton said:

Dont turn around ,Dont turn around around ,Dont turn around ur gypsy heart ,dont turn around again ,dont turn around again dont look back ,come on now love dont look back.

Meaning : After trying to find her , he justs gives up......he tells her dont come back u have an evil heart dont come back because if u do........ he might not be around and there isnt gonna be a second chance. :scream: :scream:

Tell me what u think!!!!!!!!

Ok, ok, I'll tell you what I think....:wink: I can relate to a big part of your analysis, but I don't think Bono's telling her that's she's got an evil heart or something similiar. For me he's just telling her that she should go on with her life; their love didn't work out.. but life goes on. I always felt it's a story about a love that just doesn't work out due to complications and circumstances. But it's so inspirational to hear other opinions; they always get me thinking. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom