wild honey question and interpretation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
hey!
this album reminds me of two older U2 albums: AB in the way it has so many powerful songs that it's getting hard to pick a favorite, and R&H in the way the band experiments various music directions.
about wild honey: what is the part Bono sings after "i know your garden is full, but is there sweetness at all" and before the last chorus? did anyone get the words?
even though Bono talks about "swinging from trees" and "i was a monkey, stealing honey from a swarm of bees" i think it's about two people who have liked each other since they were kids (the swinging from the trees line) and have been meant for each other (did i know you, did i know you even then? before the clocks kept time, before the world was made).

Yep I agree!
I reakon its bout his childhood sweet heart and wife Ali.
Very nice wee summery song indeed.

It may say oh oh oh in the booklet, but i sure as hell wouldn't spell what he says that way. That said, I'm not sure what he actually says. Sounds like "what is so love me pepe so" or something.

Sorry but I think this song sucks....the lyrics are so well, not inspiring, I mean come on monkeys swinging from trees , honey and stuff is this the joke track, it can't be serious!

I think he sings (on that bridge part):

What is Soul?

Love me Give me Soul.

Louis

It all comes from your viewpoint. I think taht it is great musically, and lyrically it seems very personal to me. I love it, it maybe one of my all-time favs.

------------------
"The plaque for the alternates is down by the ladies room."

2:43 What is Soul? Love In Me, (Me?)Souuul

by the way, this song is all about sex....this song is pure sex....the aspect of swinging from the trees talks about making love since the dawn of time.....Wild Honey is actually a throwback to 60's music that rocked but was also full of sexual innuendo.....and I love that....

well that's what I think anyways....btw Happy Halloween everybody....(regardless of ATYCLB it's always been my favorite holiday)

I really like Wild honey. When I first heard it, it sounded like a Beatles song.

------------------
"It's a Beautiful Day! Don't let it get away!"

I thought this song was a really funny piss-take on reincarnation. I'm serious. He's singing to a soul mate that he has known forever, in many lives. And yes, I also think it's about the sexual connection between these two over the years.

This is a lighthearted funny silly sweet love song. The lyrics are cute. At least he isn't singing about OJ and Big Macs.

and another question: do Bono and Edge sing together or did Bono just taped his voice twice on this song?
yep, Wild honey is my favorite, together with In a little while.
"did i know you? did i know you even then? before the clocks kept time, before the world was made..."
"if you go there go with me, wild honey,
you can do just what you please , wild honey, yeah blowing in the breeze, wild wild wild..."
"in a little while, surely you'll be mine
in a little while...i'll be there
in a little while, this hurt will hurt no more, love..."
"if i crawl, if i come home crawling, will you be there?" ooh ooh ooh ooh ooh oooh
"slow down my beating heart"
i could just melt when i hear these 2 songs...

guilty!
smile.gif

i love them (the songs, not Bono and Edge)
wink.gif

WH reminds me of the Beatles in its sheer joy and happiness. also because it has a 60's kinda sound. and because two singers sing it (like John&Paul in the early Beatles days).

By the way if anyone has any questions about the lyrics in ATYCLB.......The U2 Lyrics Archive has some pretty good interpretations.........

Yes it does EdgeVox... and here we are
biggrin.gif

Wild Honey is all about a destined love.. "in the days when we were swinging through the trees, I was a monkey stealing honey form a sworm of bees. I could taste, I could taste you even then.." "Did I know you? Did I know you even then? Before the clocks kept time, before the world was made.."

By Bono saying he's a monkey (funny isn't it) it suggests a time before the evolution of man--these two were just destined to be together
smile.gif

Yeah. I think the monkey/evolution thing is right on and fits in with the whole they've known each other since forever vibe. Musically, though, what this song really reminds me of is "Wild Nights"-era Van Morrison. It's practically their version of "Brown Eyed Girl" (another song about lovers who've known each other since they were young). Just as fun and tuneful.

hi, i already posted this in another category, but i want to know what people think of my interpretation and build on it..

i think that "wild honey" is bonos version of "the land of milk and honey" and the only thing i think the song could be about is GOD, plain and simple. god is the intangible thing bono is chasing ("i would chase you down, the wind), god is what people are leaving the "cut flowers" for (symbols of prayer) and "your garden is full, but is there sweetness at all" is a metaphor for bonos main complaint against the church that it is somewhat lifeless and that its followers are just going thru the motions, and that there is little real faith or mysticism anymore.

about the monkeys, everyone has already described well how it illustrates a primal sort of love, a gut instinct. i just think its aimed at god, and not necessarily ali.

about the choice of words.."wild honey".. what is wild honey, really? its an abstract concept, but somehow you know its definetly sweet and good. its god.

--poplove@bu.edu

Back
Top Bottom