Who is the lady with the spinning head??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theorris

Babyface
Hey the lady with a spinning head is an awesome song!! thanks to all of you guys hyping it up I decided to take a listen and it is amazing!

Just a few questions that maybe you can settle for my inquiring mind. Who is the lady? Why does her head spin? Whats the symbolism of it? And how come it seems to contain a part musically of everysong off of achtung baby? was that intentional or was it one of the first songs written for that album?

My theory? The Lady is Lady Luck, represented by a spinning roulette wheel.

Whatever the deal
She won't let me down

She's got the rent
She put me in the black

Just a theory...
smile.gif

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

Oh, and the reason I believe you can hear bits and pieces of "The Fly", "Ultraviolet", and maybe a little "Until the End of the World" is that it's probably based on an earlier song.

Here's the theory:

Around the end of 1990, U2 records a song tenatively titled "Wake Up Dead Man" (nowhere near the POP version) in the Berlin studios. The song later split into a few new songs, including "The Fly" and I think "Until the End of the World". And, to record a B-side for "One", the band goes back to the original tapes for "Wake Up Dead Man" and create "Spinning Head".

How do we know this? In early 1991, DAT tapes of the Berlin recording sessions (inlcuding "Wake Up Dead Man") made their way to the public as "Salome: The Axtung Beibi Outtakes".

(Go to http://www.interference.com/u2la/lyrics/rarities/salome/index.html for more info.)

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

If you read the rest of the lyrics, I think you'll find Bubba's thoughts are 'on the money'.

The first LWTSH is definitely on the AB outtakes. It then morphed into those other songs.

it would be interresting to know what other songs this has happened with.

" Shes the ticket out of town"

I've always thought that the 'Lady' is money. Coins have spinning heads don't they!
I haven't got the lyrics but I think they all correspond to a money and gambling sort of theme as well as Bubba's theory of course!

The Moderator is never wrong, except for Pop; how could it be exhaustive? Pop music is all fluffy nothings
biggrin.gif

------------------
auzzy Fan

Back
Top Bottom