Who is 'Original Of The Species' about?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beau2ifulday

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I've heard that it's about Edge's oldest daughter - is this correct? This is my favourite song off of HTDAAB, and i'd just be interested with any background/quote people could give me about it
:)

I'm no religious zealot, but I automatically hear the song being to Adam spoken by either God or Eve's point of reference.

But it can easily be the same words a parent would say to their son or daughter.

From the Q preview:

The Edge: "The last time I cried was listening to that song. It was a song Bono started on the last record about my daughter Holly. He's her godfather. The lyric became more universal. About being young and full of doubt about yourself. He probably won't agree, but I think it has connotations for Bono, looking back to when he was 20."

Been listening to this song the past couple of days and if this is about Edge's daughter or Bono's oldest, Eve, (I read somewhere:confused: ) it makes sense until you get to the lyric
"you steal right under my door, I kneel, cause I want you some more". Seems a bit strange.....:huh: Anyone care to interpret this one?

By the way, does anyone know what he sings right after all the do-da's?

Last edited:
maude said:
it makes sense until you get to the lyric
"you steal right under my door, I kneel, cause I want you some more". Seems a bit strange.....:huh: Anyone care to interpret this one?

I think it's "You're still right under my door". And about the "I kneel 'cause I want you some more"... I'm assuming it's a prayer thing. Praying to keep Holly young. :shrug:

I'm a little unsure now - Bono's given quite a few different interpretations of the meaning of the song recently.
The lyrics are actually 'steal right under my door' too, so I don't know how that works.

In an interview posted on U2tour.de ('Track by Track Teil 3'), Bono says that OOTS is "about seeing some people who are ashamed of their bodies, in particular teenagers with eating disorders, not feeling comfortable with themselves and their sexuality. I'm just saying to them, you are one of a kind, you are the first one of your kind, you're an original of the species".

In an interview three years ago Bono played a version of this in his car. He said it was written for his daughters although it sounded a little different.

He didn't disclose the name of the song in the interview but it is the same lyrics.

:yes: It's about Edge's daugher Holly and Bono is her godfather.

I kneel cause I want you some more - probably Bono wishing she'd keep her personality and character (also, "stay a child in your heart")

Steal right under my door - Bono probably remembering a very young Holly playing in his/Edge's house, "stealing" toys

I want the lot of what you got, and I want nothing that you're not - again, he's referring to staying a child in your heart and staying true to yourself

I totally understand how it can be a song for your child, but couldnt it be about love too? LIke love the 2nd time around? or after a break-up or divorce?
"You feel like noone before"
Oh, and what is the "thing" that he refers to when he sais
"Except the thing that you want"

I don't know what that band has said about the song, but it's clearly about Adam/Eve.

I'll give you everything you want/Except the one thing you want - The Apple from the tree of Knowlege

You steal right under my door/And I kneel ‘cos I want you some more/I want the lot of what you got/And I want nothing that you're not
-This is about God's grace after the fall. The stealing from under the door was the taking of the apple. God then kneels down to us becuase he wants us to love him, he wants all of us to love him, but he doesn't expect us to be anything that we are not.

Everywhere you go you shout it/You don't have to be shy about it - another refernce to God's love.

My girlfriend tells me she thinks its just a really powerful love song, but i think there is definately deep theological undertones.

definitely spiritual undertones

colinmchapman said:
I don't know what that band has said about the song, but it's clearly about Adam/Eve.

I'll give you everything you want/Except the one thing you want - The Apple from the tree of Knowlege

You steal right under my door/And I kneel ‘cos I want you some more/I want the lot of what you got/And I want nothing that you're not
-This is about God's grace after the fall. The stealing from under the door was the taking of the apple. God then kneels down to us becuase he wants us to love him, he wants all of us to love him, but he doesn't expect us to be anything that we are not.

Everywhere you go you shout it/You don't have to be shy about it - another refernce to God's love.

My girlfriend tells me she thinks its just a really powerful love song, but i think there is definately deep theological undertones.

I'm inclined to agree. Initially, when I first heard the song, read the lyrics, I too thought it had to do with Bono's daughter (the eldest) but the spiritual take on it makes sense! could be both?

If you listen to the 'Interviews' CD from Pop, somewere in the middle Bono is talking about the Edge and how he is unique and there he calls the Edge 'the original of the species'.

As youtwohearts already mentioned, I think on 60 minutes a long time ago, there was a section where Bono and the reporter were in Bono's car. An earlier version of that song was playing in the background and Bono said it was about his daughter... All the other possibilities sound plausible too, but I remember that. I have it on tape... somewhere.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
:yes: It's about Edge's daugher Holly and Bono is her godfather.

I kneel cause I want you some more - probably Bono wishing she'd keep her personality and character (also, "stay a child in your heart")

Steal right under my door - Bono probably remembering a very young Holly playing in his/Edge's house, "stealing" toys

I want the lot of what you got, and I want nothing that you're not - again, he's referring to staying a child in your heart and staying true to yourself

I remembered a quote from Bono "innocence is much stronger than experience" sometime after ATYCLB.

With that in mind, it's likely "I want you some more" and "I want the lot of what you got, I want nothing that you're not" Bono may be wishing he'd had the innocence and optimism of his childhood. He sees those things in Holly and admires/loves them.
"I kneel" is probably him hoping/praying she'll be the same vibrant character the way kids are.

Last edited:
flaming june said:
As youtwohearts already mentioned, I think on 60 minutes a long time ago, there was a section where Bono and the reporter were in Bono's car. An earlier version of that song was playing in the background and Bono said it was about his daughter... All the other possibilities sound plausible too, but I remember that. I have it on tape... somewhere.

I just posted about that in PLEBA :)

its under "Did Anyone Notice...? (regarding to Original of the Species :)"

Last edited:
I think it could also be the perspective of someone talking to a younger version of his lover--"sugar, come on, show your soul" cried out loudly at the end of the song, maybe sort of as a reminder to the now-older lover to not be "shy about it" as she grows older...?

I think the song is about any new born baby!

Why would he "kneal, cause i want you so more!"

and "everywhere you go you shout it"

clearly...it's a song about a baby!

any baby!

your baby

my baby

everybody's baby

:)

zooroper said:
Why would he "kneal, cause i want you so more!"

It it's about a child, children are small... You have to kneel to get on their level.

:crack:

I reply to your post and you yell at me and make faces? That's kind of rude.

I've been really delving into this song as of late. I liked it before, but now I am completely ga-ga for it. It's one of the best things U2 has ever done.

There quite a few themes running through this, but I don't think Adam and Eve is one of them.

The song makes me sad even though it has this trumphant, exalting explosion toward the end. I can recall so clearly being an awkward, shy, fouled-up teenager.

Man Bono, I could've used that song when I was 17! But that's OK, even at 37, it still resonates deeply for me.

There's lots of looking back on "Bomb", lots of comparisons between the flash and bravado and innocence of youth compared to the heavy hearts and tragedies of a an older man.

Wow!

Back
Top Bottom