Who is 'Original Of The Species' about?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
msbarb said:

It it's about a child, children are small... You have to kneel to get on their level.

Exactly -- and even if the child is 18, you would be kneeling because you still think of them as a child. I kneel because I want you some more -- want it to be like when you were so little I had to get on my knees to play with you and talk to you. But it's also that old metaphor for praying.

You steal right under my door -- another meaning of steal is to sneak away, like to "steal away under cover of darkness."
As a parent, a real sign that your child has grown up is when they starting sneaking out of the house right under your nose. "You steal (away) right under my door."

maude said:
Been listening to this song the past couple of days and if this is about Edge's daughter or Bono's oldest, Eve, (I read somewhere:confused: ) it makes sense until you get to the lyric
"you steal right under my door, I kneel, cause I want you some more". Seems a bit strange.....:huh: Anyone care to interpret this one?

By the way, does anyone know what he sings right after all the do-da's?

Do you mean BEFORE ye sings all the do dahs? I believe he sings "Here's Your Father"

Which lends support to the theory it's about Holly Evans or his own daughters

After, actually. I later figured out (after listening to it on my headphones) that he says "Sugar, come on". Thanks though!

Back
Top Bottom