When I look at the World - About God or Michael Hutchence?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tackleberry

War Child
I was wondering if most people felt that the song When I look at the World was about God. I have read other posts that have suggested this. But I feel thats too literal of an interpretation. Could it be that Bono is trying hard to look through the eyes of someone in Heaven? i.e. Michael Hutchence?
Stuck in a Moment is a song about trying to save someone, and it could be that WILATW is realizing the person is dead, finding it hard to live without them, and then "I cant wait any longer, to see what you see."
Also, I understand that he mentions "Holy Book" which would refer to God or Christ, but I see that as too literal. Bono tries to make all of his lyrics open to interpretation, so this could be an example of that.
I think this song could be about friendship as well. Bono sings, "But without you its no use, I can't see what you see When I look at the world." Is he saying that without his friend on earth, he is not able to see through his eyes anymore. Bono mentions in Stuck that "through your eyes I cans see." But now that he is gone, Bono is unable to see.
These are just some thoughts to ponder and discuss.

this song is most definitely about God. From what I've come to know about Bono, it doesn't seem like he tries to leave his lyrics open to interpretation--that's just how they come out. He has a very abstract way of looking at things, and has claimed of many songs to only come to a true realization of what they were about (of where he the songwriter was coming from) long after the song was finished. I think if there's anything obvious about U2, it's probably intended.

------------------
"Love is a verb..."

I had read in a Rolling Stone interview with Bono that Stuck in a Moment was written about Michael Hutchence.

It was a few issues ago, but it was an excellent interview!

des7

Angel of Harlem is also about Michael Hutchence

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Ohhhhhhhh Salome do I detect a little sarcasm there? Or are you being serious? Because Everyone knows that Angel of Harlem is about...angels.

When I look at the world - for me is about soulmates.
Definitely.
All this longing and hoping and wishing... Bono is emotional and sensitive enough to know how this feeling is. Something spiritual.
That's the way I see.
"so I try to be like you
try to feel it like you do
but without you it's no use
i can't see what you see..."
come on - how this could be about God?

The most important part for me is :
"I can't wait any longer
I can't wait till I'm stronger
I can't wait... any longer
to see what you see
when I look at the world"

So... with these words I can see one begging, longing, hoping, and then desperately thinking "Hey I am ready so why are you not here yet?" . This is the way this song touches me. Painful, deep, of some hopelessly in love, far away from his soul mate.

Rosa

------------------
Desert Rose

It?s not why you?re running
It?s where you?re going
It?s not what you?re dreaming
But what you?re gonna do

It?s not where you?re born
It?s where you belong
It?s not how weak
but what will make you strong..."

I love you interpretation Desert Rose! I'm so pleased that someone else sees this song in a different perspective other than God.
I agree. You can hear and feel the passion and longing in Bono's voice. I think he's reaching out for someone to be close to him. It sort of reiterates the theme in "One", singing about "we get to carry each other, carry each other," and how he needs the other to be complete.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

thanks, dear.

I can't help myself from having these thoughts on Bono's lyrics.
There's always something else hidden.
I spend most of my time on Earth trying to figure out what he's trying to say.
As he said, you can lie on your real life, but never in your songs. So, I think Bono's true feelings are (100%) in his lyrics, not in interviews, reviews or books.

When I look at the world - it's SO deep, so painful... I wouldn't go so far to say it's about Michael Hutchence, though I do respect their friendship and Bono's feelings for a friend... That kind of longing sounds like a spiritual situation, something "bigger than the whole wide world"... The girl/woman/who knows? is not noticed as he's speaking to her ("Tell me tell me what do you see?/Tell me what's wrong with me..." and "You don't even blink.." ).

That's how Bono works, being sincere, true, emotional and beautiful, but he's not logical nor superficial...
smile.gif
Maybe that is why sometimes it is difficult to be understood

Desert Rose

Oh, I forgot something.
wink.gif

You know the "holy book" ? I guess it could be anything, like a a diary, a book the person is writing, or scattered thoughts written while these 2 persons are still far from each other...
it's not literal, as you said. For me, this "holy" book is holy because it's about this sacret relationship. Something personal.

Desert Rose

Yeah, I agree with the "holy book" situation. Its definitely something personal and sacred, and it could also be a point of view about everything and everyone. Maybe this spiritual higher love being that Bono is refering to has this beautiful positive outlook on life. And he needs her or whatever to help him "see the world in green and blue" so to speak.

I'm glad that you see Bono's lyrics as a window into his life as well. I mean he puts his heart in the ring everytime he writes a song. Especially when he writes about his political views which is not just some rock star propaganda. Its deep heartfelt feelings in those lyrics. You could take a class in Bono's Lyrics 101 and still not really understand them completely. Or the way he understands them.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

I heard it was about his father going along that line of thought a lot of the song is about the father son relationship. "I can't wait till I'm stronger, to see what you see, when I look at the world" Is a boy looking at his father and saying, " I wanna be like you" and that " without you it's no use part" is bono saying " Dad I'm a man now, but I can't be you, I still need your guidance" just my two cents ( I don't think it's even worth that though).

Salman, you're definitely onto something there. At least I think so. But I think it even goes deeper than just a biological father, as in the spiritual father. Who is to say Bono's "soulmate" isn't God? U2's lyrics reflect largely a longing for spiritual awakening and revival...

But that's the beauty of music. Different songs mean different things to people, even if intended to mean a specific thing.

I always believed, though the song is very simple in lyric content, that it exists on a higher level & that it is something of a conversation between a loved one in pain. One of the most spiritual songs U2 has ever came up with.

The way Bono's voice cracks just shows the sensitive but yet frustrated man in the song.

I also love it how The Edge sings the last 4 lines of the song -

tell me, tell me
what do you see
tell me, tell me
what's wrong with me

I think it's an almost "question and answer" kind of approach. Like the whole song in the beginning is someone talking to this person - and then finally at the end they reply with something short and simple.

Beauty ... Pure Beauty

~zoo~

------------------
" They had the Vision, but we had the Television " - The Edge

I think in truth your right about the spiritual father thing. I think he's talking about Jesus. and how without him Bono can't see what Jesus saw when he looks at the world. Also that "walking lame part makes sense in that context too. " tell me tell me part" is bono admitting his human flaws and asking god to tell him what he's doing wrong

I just got off the phone with Bono, and he said that When I Look At THe World is most definately about God.
But its about what God is and what humans are not. Being able to see the world through the eyes of God, who can not look upon sin, is what Bono is totally amazed and baffled by.
It could also be about Jesus Christ who was 100%man and 100%God when he was on earth, and Bono might be wanting to be perfect.

I think the song relates to the Bible verse "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength". Because he admits that "you" is more( powerful, bigger...) and can't achieve any likeness of "you" without "you".

Then again, he could be singing about his deep afection for Paneng curry....3 stars.

... I thought "Angel of Harlem" was about Bill Clinton??????

Seriously, I believe ( and barely, at that) that WILATW is yet another song where Bono expresses his uncertainties on his faithand how it relates to the atrocities of this world. He is befuddled ( "befuddled"????) by how some can have total and complete faith and look at the world through "rose colored glasses", while there is so much pain and suffering in this messy world. How some (self-righteously?) shake their "Holy Book" (ei Bible, Torah, Q'ran)in your face while you choke from the misery around you.
Bono seems to have this impatient/bitter side to his faith. "Peace On Earth" is a very bitter song. So is... (Good Lord, I forgot the name!)... "Wake Up Dead Man."
Has Bono found what he is looking for,... yet?

Then again... I could be wrong.
biggrin.gif

Peace.

------------------
You broke the bonds and you loosed the chains. Carried the cross and all my shame. You know I believe it.

One thing I noted was that this song is one that the Edge is also credited with the lyrics for it. I tend to agree with Trash Can's spin on it where it is not addressed directly to God, but rather to the religious establishment that has such a strong focus on doctrine that they don't even see the misery that is present in this world. It doesn't seem to be a yearning to be with a lover, but rather a frustration with someone who refuses to consider what others see when they look at the world.

[This message has been edited by majxtc (edited 05-07-2001).]

Had this song been written during Boy. We would almost deffinately be saying something about Bono's mother, due to the content of the earlier material.
A song like 'When I look at the World' can mean alot of things. But, is anyone else stuck on the idea that it is about Jesus on the cross before he dies, talking to his father (i.e. God) and Bono putting himself in a similar situation feeling like a crucified representative to all of his fans unable to put it all together. Uh, maybe I'm stretching it here, but the deeper you go into the U2 album catalogue, the more 'elastic' the songs get...

Oops! I'm new can you tell?

I think it could possibly be about many things and we will probably never know for sure. Personally, I think it is about a person who is tired of waiting to "find God". That person is talking to someone who has found God and does not question his faith at all. Now, who "that person" and "someone" are is a good question.

------------------
"Maybe you could educate my mind"

Back
Top Bottom