What is Bono saying towards the end of One?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

juliaguliaxo94

War Child
This is stupid, but I've been wondering this forever. :lol:

YouTube - U2 - One - Anton Corbjin Version

Around 4:05 - 4:10, what is he saying? It never comes up on lyrics websites. I did see lyrics for this song where it says he's saying "baby, baby, baby,.." but I don't hear that. I hear "make it, make it, make it.." But why would he be saying that, anyway? :shifty:

And yeah I know the joke where it's assumed he's saying "bacon, bacon, bacon, bacon, bacon, and haaaaaaam." I hear that. :shifty: But of course it can't be. :lol:

^ Bono calls it "Bongolese" himself, he has talked about it in several interviews, saying that the words that come out of his mouth when he's improvising to music in the studio or on stage often don't make any sense but are just sounds, mostly vowels.

^ Bono calls it "Bongolese" himself, he has talked about it in several interviews, saying that the words that come out of his mouth when he's improvising to music in the studio or on stage often don't make any sense but are just sounds, mostly vowels.

So that explains it! Thanks LU. :applaud:

It's also known in jazz as skat singing I believe.

Bono's skat's are so free form especially if you watch the early clips of him recording for example in the UF documentary when he was trying so hard to put down the lyric for PRIDE.

It was like he was possessed in a artistic spiritual way. It was really facinating to watch such an intimate moment. He totally let go as if the spirit was moving through him. I believe that it did and still does move through him when he sings.

I always listen to the songs with 'Bongolese" in them and get extremely frustrated in trying to figure out the lyrics (It occasionally ends with me yelling at the lyric book 'WHAT IS HE SAYING!'), but I only appreciate the song when I realize it's just Bongolese, I think

Although I've always heard the "makin', makin'..." lyrics in this case

It's also known in jazz as skat singing I believe.

Bono's skat's are so free form especially if you watch the early clips of him recording for example in the UF documentary when he was trying so hard to put down the lyric for PRIDE.

It was like he was possessed in a artistic spiritual way. It was really facinating to watch such an intimate moment. He totally let go as if the spirit was moving through him. I believe that it did and still does move through him when he sings.

This is beautiful. And so true.

Back
Top Bottom