what is an "intellectual tortoise"?????????????????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's alluding to the fable of the hare and the tortoise. The slow tortoise races the speedy hare.

I think he is comparing his slow intellect to the other person's, who is as fast as a bullet train.

Weird lyric. But it might be one of those lines that is so preposterous that you just have to use it.

Trinity3000 said:
It's alluding to the fable of the hare and the tortoise. The slow tortoise races the speedy hare.

I think he is comparing his slow intellect to the other person's, who is as fast as a bullet train.
that's what i always thought...

dibujofe5.jpg

It seems like it's a sarcastic thing/a colloquialism, and I don't want to generalise but most Irish people would get this instantly. It's just like something we would say in a sarcastic mood :wink: We're terrible for use of silly similes and stuff! Just the humour of the paradox I suppose...

"All Because of You" is a blatant worship song. Bono is the "intellectual tortoise," and God's mind and ways are the "bullet train."

Great song. :up:

I always interpreted the line as someone who is an intellectual--who thinks they know all the answers but is afraid to stick their neck out for what they believe in--hence the tortoise.

I always thought it was a very clever lyric.

I also like

Some people get squashed
crossing the track
some people get high rises
on their backs

I don't think it means slow intellect at all. The tortoise was the smarter of the two in the tortoise and the hare (the bullet train) right? It seems more like a "slow and steady gets the job done" type of use to me, and not at all just stuck in there to rhyme (since it doesn't) :wink:

It's someone who knows the answer, and gets there in the end despite the odds,

that's my interpretation

Back
Top Bottom