What does Bono say....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As the fuel goes down
Stops the car
Puts her feet outside in the rain
She's back on the machine
But it's sweet so far away

Slightly different interpretation at U2Wanderer.org:

What the fear calls down
Stops the car
As it feels like rage
She's back on the street
But it swings so far away

http://www.u2wanderer.org/disco/13_06.php

Other opinions (various sources):

What the fear caused died
She stops the car
Feels like when she was back on the street again
With the sweet saffron

As the fuel goes down, stops the car

What the fear cause died
She stops the car
As it feels like rage
She's back on the street
But it swings so far away

When the fuel runs down
Stops the car
As it feels like rage
She's back on the ship
But he swims so far away

Don't mean to confuse you or anything...

goat

}:)~

Don't know if this will help, but here is the passage in question, lightly filtered. After converting to mp3, I had to switch it to mono and downsample to make it small enough to post here.

goat

Attachments

• lnoe start.mp3
    73.4 KB
valentina said:
btw, according to you, does Bono really say something at the beginning of "If you wear that velvet dress"?

Yes, and I do not believe it to be X-rated, as some have said... It's quite simple, actually....

Download this snippet first (did some slight noise reduction - 'crunched' it a tad to remove some of the sibilance ("whistling S sound"), and then read my next post and see if you don't agree. The funny thing about trying to figure out what the old coot is saying, is that other people's suggestions can sway your opinion... just listen and make up your own mind, and then read my next post...

Attachments

• if you wear that velvet dress start.mp3
    38.4 KB
In the middle of If You Wear That Velvet Dress, you can hear Bono half-whispering a little passage. What I think he's saying in the middle of the song is:

So you feel okay?
Are you sure it's okay?
'Cause I want some more

It's not too hard from there to pick out what he's saying at the beginning of the song:

Oh, it's okay

just my thoughts...

Okay, I listened to IYWTVD this morning in the car, to see if I could hear the above whispered words.... I did! :hyper: :drool:
I still think it sounds like Oh s*** at the start though.

As the fuel goes down
Stops the car

Would someone attempt to explain what this may mean?

The car runs out of gas, stops and it is raining when she gets out.

I suppose she is happy to be far away from whatever it is she was driving away from.

vlasak said:
As the fuel goes down
Stops the car

Would someone attempt to explain what this may mean?

Personally, I thought it's about someone (and it doesn't have to be female) who is running away from some bad things in life, maybe drugs, maybe an abusive relationship; something along those lines. The rain perhaps eludes feelings of depression/sadness. I would think being "back on the machine" is a return to a more normal or stable sort of life, but it's an adjustment, and one that needed to be made. So it's good...or as the lyric says, "sweet to be so far away".

I tried to keep it short, but I hope it still makes sense.

rivergoat said:
The funny thing about trying to figure out what the old coot is saying, is that other people's suggestions can sway your opinion... just listen and make up your own mind, and then read my next post...

Heh, it's interesting that you say that. I downloaded the clip and listened to it, and thought he was saying 'moose'! (Which seemed ironic, considering your little Ofom trick) But now I hear what you suggested it was!

And one day, I was playing LNOE insanely loud through my headphones and heard the first verse clearly. Word for word, no trouble at all. I just can't remember it now! Oh well, maybe I'll have to crank it up again, eh? I don't think I'll mind doing that!

rivergoat said:
In the middle of If You Wear That Velvet Dress, you can hear Bono half-whispering a little passage. What I think he's saying in the middle of the song is:

So you feel okay?
Are you sure it's okay?
'Cause I want some more

It's not too hard from there to pick out what he's saying at the beginning of the song:

Oh, it's okay

just my thoughts...

My god :drool: :wink: *thinks about listening to Pop when I get off*

I never could hear what Bono says during the solo in Velvet dress, will think about cranking up the radio next time I listen to it.

As for the start, I hear the "vamos" whisper in Velvet dress right at the start.

Back
Top Bottom