"Walk On" lyrics - Bono to Adam re: Faith?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slane

Babyface
Kind of a long shot, but someone said they heard Bono was instrumental in helping Adam solidifying his faith in Christ recently.

The lyrics to "Walk On" would fit pretty perfectly - Bono encouraging a new believer - a faith journey is often referred to as a "walk" by Christians".

How cool would that be to write a song like that for one of your best pals?

------------------
Slidehow, seaside town, coca cola, football, radio...radio...radio...radio

Walk on I think two ways to look at it. 1st is as credited on the sleeve - a tribute to Aung Sung the burmese leader who has been under house arrest for over ten years.
The other is about faith - could a place that has to be believed to be seen be heaven? Or a democratic Burma?
Whatever, walk on is the most motivational song U2 has ever written for people who may be depressed! Does anyone agree?

Interesting idea... you could be right...
Walk On as the conclusion to Drowning Man?
I didn't know about Adam solidifying his faith...
But yeah, very motivational, encouraging... I like it
smile.gif

The info about Adam was just something I read on a post from this board. not substantiated at all, but seems reasonable. I can't remember who posted it.

One theory w/ regards to this was on the cover of ATYCLB, Bono seems to be reading something (a Bible? - it's too thick to be a passport) and Adam is the only one paying attention. Couple that with Larry cocking his head towards the John 3:33 reference on the airport sign...

Who knows - hope it's true, for Adam's sake!

------------------
Slidehow, seaside town, coca cola, football, radio...radio...radio...radio

This is my first ever post...

Slane, doesn't the airport sign say J33-3? In which case I think it refers not to John 3:33, but Jeremiah 33:3, which is "Call to me [the Lord] and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know." Doesn't that totally typify what U2 is all about? They're still searching for
answers, asking questions, (I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For) but when they ask them they ask God.

Since this forum is about "Walk On" - let me tell you my take on it. Since it's dedicated to Aung San Suu Kyi, I think it's definitely about her situation and an encouragement to her to "walk on" and continue in what she's fighting for, despite the fact that she's in horrible circumstances. (She's been on house arrest since '89, after she had the chance to leave the country, but didn't not wanting to leave her homeland.)

But, all great songs have multi-layered meanings, so I also think that "Walk On" is definitely about heaven, or a longing for heaven (which, by the way, I think is a major theme of the whole amazing album!)

Consider the lines "you're packing a suitcase for a place none of us has been/ A place that has to be believed to be seen." and "Home, I don't know where it is but I know I'm going home." All that you fashion, make, build, break, etc. will be left behind, and the only thing you can't leave behind, the only baggage you can bring is love - your heart, your soul. I think the heart in the suitcase icon on the CD cover is very telling.

Walk On has quickly become my favorite song on the album, which, although it hasn't overshadowed Achtung Baby yet, is climbing up the list of my favorite albums as well...

Ok. Enough rambling for me. This has been fun.

jelena

This is a really interesting topic!

Well, I remember the first time I heard ATYCLB (I was in Ireland and that was a very special moment) I started to cry when Bono whispered "... and love is not the easy thing..." and then I could not stop crying till I finish that song...
Walk On means a lot of different things to me and I do agree it's very motivational. I started to think about things I really wanted to do in my life, and I could see things clearly after listening Walk On more than 10 times.
I know it is dedicated to Aung Sung and I didn't know it was known as an attempt to help Adam's faith in Christ or something like this. Though I can't help thinking about this song as a particular expression of Bono's feelings for life, family and things like that, and even with all this talk about Aung Sung and Adam, for me Walk On sounds like poetry, a story about the decisions you have to make in your life, and an advice for people to realize what really matters (love, of course).

Hard to explain, but I can say that every single line of that song is happening to me right now. Definately my favorite of this new album, with my favorite lines:

"Home... hard to know where it is
if you never had one
Home... I can't say where it is
but I know I'm going
Home... that's where the hurt is..."

The way it sounds, the way Bono sing this part, it's reaaaaaaaally sad. That low voice, this old question about surrender or holding on... A song full of the old U2 talk about life, freedom, love, surrender and not-giving-up things. But in a different way...

I really love this one. I can't stop listening to it.

Desert Rose

I love this interpretation of the song. I believe it not only applies to Adam but to any Christians listening to the song. It is so encouraging.

One thing I thought would be interesting to share. My insight on the lyrics "Home... hard to know what it is if you've never had one/ Home... Thats's where the hurt is." For a while this verse had me perplexed if the song was about heaven but I realized the other day what it meant when I remembered a quote from Bono that I had read. The quote was something about how after his mother died, the place that he lived went from being a home to being a house (meaning it was just a physical building love was missing after she died.) That made those lines make sense to me. He is looking to heaven to be a time when he can return to a true home full of love (when Bono will be reunited with his mum and with God and his Son) not just a house.

Originally posted by u2maniac:
One thing I thought would be interesting to share. My insight on the lyrics "Home... hard to know what it is if you've never had one/ Home... Thats's where the hurt is." For a while this verse had me perplexed if the song was about heaven but I realized the other day what it meant when I remembered a quote from Bono that I had read. The quote was something about how after his mother died, the place that he lived went from being a home to being a house (meaning it was just a physical building love was missing after she died.) That made those lines make sense to me. He is looking to heaven to be a time when he can return to a true home full of love (when Bono will be reunited with his mum and with God and his Son) not just a house.

Wow. That's very insightful (and sad), u2maniac. I never really thought about about the song in that way before, but that's definitely an excellent interpretation.

The Adam theory is very interesting! We'll probably never know if it's true, though...

I remember that Bono said once, that Adam is a very spiritual person. I think that he?s found his place where he want to be. You don?t need to be a member of a religion to be spiritual.

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Originally posted by zoomerang II:
could a place that has to be believed to be seen be heaven? Or a democratic Burma?

What other band could mix these two meanings into one song? Ya just gotta love 'em.

------------------
Proud owner, maker and baker of THE U2 cookies.

slane, you still havent answered my question

------------------
He who stands atop the highest mountain can see the farthest

I think this is one of U2's songs that fits into the category of broad theme.

I think the song is simply about hope, and being able to move through difficult times.

No matter what they are, no matter who you are...

Ou

I still dont quite understand. I gues for me, having faith in something that I dont believe exists isnt a good thing.

I don't think anyone would disagree with you.

Why would you have faith in something you don't believe in?

Slane's point, and my point, is that if Adam has come to a belief and faith in Christ - which is obviously something that the other 3 band members share - that would be a really good thing for him.

The reason I think that would be a good thing is because I have that faith and belief and it's changed and impacted my life in a great way - as it has for so many others.

Just out of curiousity, why the pentagram w/ the devil head? Shock value?

I think what RavenStar was trying to say was that having faith is not the be all, end all for some people. Faith in Christ is not a requirement for any of us ...

I am sure you'll agree with this, but many people lead good lives without any sort of spiritual/religious basis for that lifestyle.

I think that maybe, back when Larry, Edge and Bono were in Shalom, they might have tried to "convert" Adam or direct certain lyrics toward him, but I think that by now they just accept Adam for who he is ...

If he's spiritual, great, if he's not, that's ok too. I don't think Larry, Edge or Bono would force their beliefs on anyone ... I think that's one of the things that turn them off about organized religion.

Well, this is a huge philosophical topic, but if Bono, Edge and Larry's faith is real, then it IS , by definition, the be all end all for everyone.

That's the nature of the God of the Bible. If he's real - and I believe he is - then there's no room for subjective truth (which is an oxymoron in itself). No room for "that works for you but not for me".

I totally agree with you that nobody should ever force their belief system on anyone - but I also believe that there is absolute truth (Christ) and if I didn't share that with people who don't know it or understand it, I wouldn't be following Christ's Great Commission.

Please understand that I respect someone's right to reject what I share with them and would not judge them for not responding to Christ. But I do still consider that person to be someone who needs to know.

I think that is probably where the Christian members of U2 are with respect to Adam. It's not that they don't want him to know Christ, just that they realize it's his decision alone.

Obviously, I am assuming a lot with respect to their relationships, but you get the idea.

I believe that noone should ever try and force someonesbelieves onto another person. each and everyone of us has his/her own free will and we have to decide, whether we what to be spiritual or not.

I think that Bono tried to influence Adam in the early days by addressing lyrics to him, but I think that he?s stoppedthat now.

AM -

I agree that no one should "force" their beliefs on anyone.

However, the Christian faith is built on the premise that Jesus Christ is the ONE and ONLY saviour.

Jesus never forces himself on us - and his allowance of our freewill is the embodiment of his love - but he makes no bones about the fact that if we don't choose him in this life, we will not force us, or allow us, to be with him in eternity.

I am going to preface this by saying that I am Catholic and I believe in God.

One Tree Still said:
Well, this is a huge philosophical topic, but if Bono, Edge and Larry's faith is real, then it IS , by definition, the be all end all for everyone.

Why is the faith of three individuals so important to everyone? I believe, because I choose to. I don't believe my faith alone will "save" me--it is not the be all end all in my life. It's important, but I belive that being a good person is far more important. I don't think faith in God is a prerequisite for heaven--a good life, yes, but not faith.

One Tree Still said:
[B
That's the nature of the God of the Bible. If he's real - and I believe he is - then there's no room for subjective truth (which is an oxymoron in itself). No room for "that works for you but not for me".
[/B]

Why isn't there room for subjective truth? I certainly thing there are truths (ie love, freedom, etc) but I think the way we interpret them and use them in our lives is certainly subjective. For example, some people are very open to love in their lives and some people, for whatever reason, just can let themselves love or be loved.

It is similar with the idea of God ... Some people can let God into their lives and some people just are not open to that idea.

I think faith is an incredibly personal decision--yes, I was raised Catholic (and children all over the world are raised with different faith systems), but ultimately it is their decision whether they accept or reject that faith.

One Tree Still said:
[B
Please understand that I respect someone's right to reject what I share with them and would not judge them for not responding to Christ. But I do still consider that person to be someone who needs to know.
[/B]

I think most people, even atheists and agnostics, "know" about God ... In my experience, at least in the Western World, a lot of our culture is based around the idea of a single God (Christianity, Judiasm, Islam etc ... we may call him different things, but it is the same God). The Atheists I have known did grow up within some sort of a religious tradition and did "know" about God and what role he was supposed to play (this may not apply to all atheists, through).

If you have faith in Christ and you seek to emulate Christ, you will be a "good" person.

Yes, you can be a good person and not know Christ, but your life is, based on the Christ of the Bible, incomplete without that relationship. I'm not the one making that determination, Christ is.

Truth, by it's very definition is objective - not subjective. There is no such thing as subjective truth. What you are describing is a person's reaction to truth - which is always subjective. But a person's reaction does not change the objectivity of a truth.

Christianity, Judiasm, Islam etc. do not worship the same God. I suggest you do some reading on that if you think they do.

One Tree Still said:
Christianity, Judiasm, Islam etc. do not worship the same God. I suggest you do some reading on that if you think they do.

I in fact have done reading on this ? please don?t assume I haven?t.

Christianity is a direct descendant of Judiasm ? Jesus, as the Son of God and a Jew, wanted people to believe in the same God that Jews worshipped, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The difference between the two is that Christians accept Jesus as the Son of God and Jews do not.

Another major difference between the two religions is that Judaism accepts the Torah in its entirety, while Christianity does not. Despite the fact that Jesus was a Jew and advised adherence to the Torah's laws ("Think not that I have come to abolish the Law and the Prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfill them?Whoever then breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so shall be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven"-Matthew 5:17 19). It was the belief of Paul that the laws of the Torah were too difficult for the average Christian to observe.

In the Islamic tradition, Mohammed, strongly influenced by Jews and Christians, adopted their belief in Monotheism, as well as certain other Jewish practices, such as praying several times a day, avoiding pork, giving alms to the poor, and observing a fasting period.

Mohamed considered himself the prophet of God. The holy book of Islam is the Koran, which contains many of the same writings as the Torah and the Christian Bible.

Yes, you have the historical aspects down pat, but the fact is, in Christianity the Father and the Son are One. Jesus didn't want people to worship the God of the Old Testament, he wanted people to follow HIM, God incarnate.

That differs widely and dramatically from the belief of Judaism and Islam.

In fact, that is what separates Christianity from most, if not all other religions.

I shouldn't have assumed you hadn't done your reading on this, but it's clear you didn't draw the correct conclusions from your readings.

While the three faiths in question share some historical roots, the claims of Christ are what differentiate the Christian faith from the others - that Christ claimed to be God.

One Tree Still said:
Yes, you have the historical aspects down pat, but the fact is, in Christianity the Father and the Son are One. Jesus didn't want people to worship the God of the Old Testament, he wanted people to follow HIM, God incarnate.

Exactly ... Jesus = God (the same god of the Jews) = Holy Spirit

They're all the same person ... The Christians therefore believe that God (the same God of the Jews) is incarnated in the human form of Jesus.

If we didn't believe in the same God as the Jews then why do we have the Old Testament? We would only have the New Testament (much like Islam has the Koran).

We (Christians) believe in the God of the Old Testament, but we believe he is also the God of the New Covenant, which Jews do not believe.

The God of the New Covenant, represented by Jesus, does not require us to follow the old Law, but rather requires that we follow Jesus, who rendered the old Law irrelevant on the Cross.

So, in essence, Christians worship a different God than the Jews because they don't believe Jesus is the Messiah, while Christians do.

There's a major difference in the belief there.

But if the God of the Old Testament is manifest in Jesus, how can they be different?

Yes, We believe Jesus represents a New Covenant, but it's still the same God.

I guess we will never agree on this ...

Back
Top Bottom