Walk On

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nuala

War Child
lookin' to fill that God-shaped hole.....
Can I get some opinions from people about what they think the meaning behind the song Walk On is? I know who it is dedicated to and all but I am looking for more than that. Also the phrase "all that you can't leave behind." I have my opinion but I am interested to see what others think. Thanks!

Even before I found out about the Aung San Suu Kyi dedication I saw it as a message to someone going through a hard time, and just urging them not to give up, telling them that no matter how hopeless the situation, there is someone who cares about you who will pick you up when you fall.
It's such a relief to hear this song after a hard day or when I'm feeling depressed or whatever. It's so soothing to know that someone understands what I'm feeling, even if that someone happens to be a huge rockstar who will probably never know me or exactly what I'm feeling.

And the line "all that you can't leave behind" I think refers to having to make sacrifices. You can only keep what you can't bear to part with.

Beautifully said, Meghan. :yes:

The only thing I can think to add is from the song lyrics "We're packing a suitcase for a place none of us has been - a place that has to be believed to be seen...".

If your suitcase is filled with love, you have no room left for anything else. All the other things we treasured loose their value in comparison and become less of a sacrifice to give up.

SunBloc said:
Beautifully said, Meghan. :yes:

The only thing I can think to add is from the song lyrics "We're packing a suitcase for a place none of us has been - a place that has to be believed to be seen...".

I always see this as about heaven.

it's about getting ready for what what comes after life on earth

You have to believe in heaven to get there.

Nuala said:
Also the phrase "all that you can't leave behind."

What Meghan said, as for that particular line, I always thought it was about getting to the basics in your own life, the things you can't leave behind.

I always thought, in going with the persistence theme of the song, that "all that you can't leave behind" was about those things that you live for because you couldn't imagine, well, leaving them behind, being without them.

i always thought that walk on was about going,leaving all behind
an then i found out who is it dedicated to and i'm still confused

Molineux1980 said:
I love 'Walk On', but it really riles me the way it fades out. :mad:

It riles me too... That's why I love the live version. My favourite parte of the song is the last part and in the album version it starts to fade precisely when it's getting awsome... I love the whole song but the end after the first "leave it behind part" is just amazing.

"You're packing a suitcase for a place, none of us has been, a place that has to be believed to be seen..."

This is simple for me.....he is saying ....you are preparing for your place in heaven because the material things of this world you can't take them with you, you gotta to leave them behind.
The subject of this song knew that, she gave up everything including her family for a noble just cause.

All that you fashion
All that you make......ect... ect...

Simple! imo. :) Easily one of Bono's best lyrics. This is one of my most fav U2 songs! I find it very inspiring.

I Love this song. I Agree with Meghan. That's what i thought about it too. I Like the Slane Castle Version off the DVD. The End sounds really good.:)

While we know what the inspiration behind it was, it's like One for this decade, broad and powerful lyrics that can be used for so many things, such as how it became such an uplifting anthem for America after September 11th.

Lately I've been feeling Walk On as a cure for loneliness/depression, but unlike what Meghan said months ago I don't hear it as "it's ok, someone else cares and is there" but as finding strength within myself.

One question though - I always thought it was "home, that's where the heart is" because "i'm going home" - but some lyrics sites list it as "that's where the hurt is."

Thoughts? This will majorly effect this song's meaning for me, though not negatively either way.

Varitek said:
Lately I've been feeling Walk On as a cure for loneliness/depression, but unlike what Meghan said months ago I don't hear it as "it's ok, someone else cares and is there" but as finding strength within myself.

One question though - I always thought it was "home, that's where the heart is" because "i'm going home" - but some lyrics sites list it as "that's where the hurt is."

Thoughts? This will majorly effect this song's meaning for me, though not negatively either way.

I think one time he says heart and another time he says hurt.

Dana

I believe it's hurt also. Sometimes we experience the most hurt (emotional?) from within our own family, he could be referring to his own childhood but also to the country where the lady this song was written about is from. Shame on me, I don't what country it is. You know how Bono's lyrics almost always can mean different things.

Can I ask why the ending bothers some of you (i.e. the fading out)?

I've listened to this one many many times and it wasn't until I observed the ending that I leaned towards this song referring to the afterlife more than "packing a suitcase" for something tangible in the present life. In just about all religions, it is stated that you must believe in G*d or the spirit in order to experience it.

Just curious....

BEVERLY56 said:
he could be referring to his own childhood but also to the country where the lady this song was written about is from. Shame on me, I don't what country it is.

She is from Burma/Myanmar

Back
Top Bottom