Wake Up Dead Man - hearing things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rivergoat

War Child
Being extremely bored one day, I parsed "Wake Up Dead Man" with a music mixing program, and I just started laughing so hard... this is what I (think I) heard, in the background, during the first verse....

Jesus
Jesus help me
Adam is a butthead
I'm alone in this world
(?) carrot sticks
And a fucked up world it is too...

Now I can't listen to this song without laughing...

goat

}:)~

Yeah there were some recording faults on WADM and also other songs of PoP.

haha, yeah i just heard it too...

pretty strange

just like in the studio version of elevation after "i believe in you..." you hear some voice in the background say "this is ridiculous"

yeah, i read somewhere sometime ago that there are background voices... like "bono... happy?" and other little inside jokes.

Yeah I listen to my CDs in my car, I had these cruddy old speakers which my bro replaced with these sik new ones, and I heard at the beginning of Shadows and Tall trees, Bono clearing his throat. I haven't heard the other things though, I never really liked WUDM, but I'll have to listen for that lol:laugh:

This is a bit off topic but, in the background of "Wake Up Dead Man" you can hear what sounds like a female qawwali singer (at least to me). You can first hear her at 0:15 on the song. You hear hear the most between 0:36 and 0:46. I would like to know if you all hear it too and if you like all the background noises in the song. I love them and think they add an errie atmosphere to the song.

Yes, there's definitely the female singer. It's from Korova isn't it? Or something else? It's not the first U2 song to use it anyway.

There's a looped 'mumbling' track all the way through the song as well, so I guess there's a whole lot of talking in there to be deciphered by someone with the right gear.

rivergoat said:
Being extremely bored one day, I parsed "Wake Up Dead Man" with a music mixing program, and I just started laughing so hard... this is what I (think I) heard, in the background, during the first verse....

Jesus
Jesus help me
Adam is a butthead
I'm alone in this world
(?) carrot sticks
And a fucked up world it is too...

Now I can't listen to this song without laughing...

goat

}:)~

I pray to god that's true

FallingStar said:
Yeah there were some recording faults on WADM and also other songs of PoP.

Yeah, that's the best way to describe the whole album, I'd say. :D

Back
Top Bottom