Wake Up Dead Man!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rivergoat

War Child
There's a HUGE amount of stuff 'buried' under the vocals and music on this track (the Pop album). Van Dieman's Land IS buried under it, in its entirety, and a whole bunch of other things which just HAD to be put in there as a joke! I just ran through it again today for the hell of it, and found MORE shit!

A full (to date) run through of the little 'secrets' of Wake Up Dead Man can be found here:

Wake Up Dead Man

I'm not going to try to post it all here all over again!

goat

}:)~

This is something I've never been able to understand. Why do somethings, when played in reverse, make actual words and phrases? Is it programmed that way? Or is it just the way it sounds when it's backwards?

I saw on your link that you thought U2 had been working on Wake Up Dead Man since Zooropa. Actually, I think it was earlier. You can hear parts of it on the Salome Sessions/Achtung Beibi discs. And then the put more work into it on Zooropa. I think I read somewhere it was kept off Zooropa because at the time, it was more guitar-based and they wanted to keep Zooropa more eletronic, but it was essentially ready for release at that time.

Well, the phrase "wake up dead man" is something they've been kicking around a while, but that's the only line from the song that's ever surfaced (that I know of) previous to Pop. The phrase was used in a number of different Achtung, Baby! studio recordings, but with different kinds of music, and used as part of a chorus, verse, or bridge depending on what song you listen to. The phrase was out there, but how to use it was just a guess.

The first time "Wake Up Dead Man" was used as a song title was on the cover of the Zooropa album. There's really no telling whether or not the song was at it's final evolution at that point though. (Previous to being played live in concert that is.)

goat

ylimeU2 said:
This is something I've never been able to understand. Why do somethings, when played in reverse, make actual words and phrases? Is it programmed that way? Or is it just the way it sounds when it's backwards?

Sometimes, it's just a fluke and it take alot of 'imagination' };)~ to hear actual words and phrases when something is played backwards.

However, it's mostly planned, the musicians will record something, play it backwards, and then try to come up with words they can say forwards that sound the way they want it to backwards. If that makes any sense. I'll try to explain, using an infamous example from Queen.

Queen decided to have the backwards phrase "it's fun to smoke marijuana" in a song. When they reversed "it's fun to smoke marijuana" it sounded like "another one bites the dust". So they made a song with the phrase "another one bites the dust", and when you play that song backwards, you hear "it's fun to smoke marijuana".

(Most bands who did this 'denied' having done so, but everyone knew about it. ELO and KISS were two other very guilty parties, among others - it was kind of a fad for a while there. You might ask someone a bit older than me, they might have more info on some of the bands that started this up - I was really just a kid then.)

goat

rivergoat said:
Queen decided to have the backwards phrase "it's fun to smoke marijuana" in a song. When they reversed "it's fun to smoke marijuana" it sounded like "another one bites the dust". So they made a song with the phrase "another one bites the dust", and when you play that song backwards, you hear "it's fun to smoke marijuana".
I put to you that you also think its fun to smoke marijuana, and listen to songs in reverse, because you would need to be high to interpret "asherll asol mahula" as "it's fun to smoke marijuana"

steak said:
I put to you that you also think its fun to smoke marijuana, and listen to songs in reverse, because you would need to be high to interpret "asherll asol mahula" as "it's fun to smoke marijuana"

Ha ha... I don't presently have a copy of that song, bgut I know what I heard. One of my friends at the radio station where I went to college was showing me a bunch of 'backwards messages' one day, calling that Queen one 'a classic'. It's also the only specific one I remember (though he played LPs from alot of different artists) - and no, I wasn't smoking marijuana then either!

Sheesh...

WUDM Van Dieman's Land

Here's a quick clip of where it begins... I can't put anymore up and remain within the posting limits of this board.

goat

Attachments

• wudm van dieman.mp3
    88.2 KB
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom