UF lyrics question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFlyOnTheWall

Refugee
Hi,

in the last few days I've been listening to The Unforgettable Fire quite a lot (definatley their 3rd masterpiece) and I was wondering what are the songs about, especially Wire, Promenade and Indian Summer Sky...
Anyone? :eyebrow:

Let's go in order of the tracklisting

A Sort of Homecoming - It's about how the band wuld travel on the road and when they reached city it was like a homecoming 4 them *if that makes ne sense*

Pride - about Dr. Martin Luther King and Jesus, and how they were saviors for their different causes, MLK 4 Civil Rights, Jesus being the savior of mankind

Wire's about heroin *part of the "Heroin Trilogy" w/ Bad and Running to Stand Still

The Unforgettable Fire - the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima & Nagisaki, Japan. They were fascinated after cing a museum exhibit called "the Unforgettable Fire"

Promenade - love song 2 Ali, his wife of course, also about reminiscing about the past (Bono Bono used to live in a reconstructed martello tower, and due to the shape of a martello tower, he had the spiral staircase to the higher ground) - from U2MoL

4th of July - instrumental song recorded on the 4th of July, about how they felt that day. Brian Eno recorded the Edge playing his guitar w/o Edge knowing :wink:

Bad - about a friend of Bono's who died of a heroin overdose, and about the conditions that make heroin usage very likely 2 happen again *2nd song in "Heroin Trilogy" as noted above*

Indian Summer Sky - No clue wutsoever, check out http://hem.bredband.net/steverud/U2MoL/UF/summersky.html for more info

Elvis Presley and America - One-take recording where Bono had no lyrics at all, and just started singing about what was on his mind. He was thinkin about 70s Elvis who was overweight and drank too much.

MLK - IMO, i think it's like a eulogy to Dr. Martin Luther King *note the "Sleep...sleep tonight/and may your dreams by realized"*

Overall a very gr8 album w/ a very cool ambience and feel to it, perfect album 2 listen 2 and relax:wink:

Back
Top Bottom