U2 = poetry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salome

you are what you is
If you should choose one U2 song to have it's entire lyrics released as a poem, which one would you choose !
I would say "A sort of homecoming".

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Hmmmmm there are so many poetic moments in U2's music, but I think I will go with "Running to Stand Still".. Each time I hear this song it paints a picture; the imagery is fabulous throughout! I do love that song!!

------------------

"we're going to finish a record in a few months, and I dare anyone to make a better rock record this year"
- Bono on the new album

One Tree Hill,I think its already a poem.
my fave line is "In this world of heart of darkness, a fire-zone where poets speak their heart and bleed for it".WOW!

In God's Country

Didn't a famous poet read Miami one time?
I thought I read about it in a 97 issue of Rolling Stone.

Yup, famous beat poet Alan Ginsburg read the lyrics to "Miami" mere months before he passed away in early '97. The reading was actually aired (maybe only partially) during ABC's "A Year in POP", interlaced with the song itself.

Quite surreal, I assure you.

Oh, and in terms of U2's poetry, I'd go with "Numb". Its lyrics has very primitive, spoken word feel that could be interesting.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 08-20-2000).]

adamswildhoney said:
To many songs to narrow it just to one song for me!

Exactly, so I'm going to cheat and list all the songs I would like to see released as poems :)

This is a great topic Salome! :up:

My list:

• Surrender
  • I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
  • When Love Comes To Town
  • Until the End of the World
  • So Cruel
  • Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
  • The First Time
  • If God Will Send His Angels
  • Peace On Earth
  • The Fly

I would add Kite to the list...not only the "song" portion, but the added on end "last of the rock stars...etc" makes a beautiful outro to it.

Ooooooooh......I can't choose!

One time, in one of my high school English classes, we had to memorize a poem to recite to the class. We convinced our teacher to let us recite the lyrics to a song if we'd rather. I couldn't pick one, so I recited every song on JT.....and got tons of extra credit!! :D

Definitely Love Is Blindness.

Maybe Two Shots Of Happy, but Love Is Blindness on the very top.

Salome said:

I would say "A sort of homecoming".

I would agree wholeheartedly. Heartland and Running to Stand Still would get a look in too, but Homecoming would take it. My favourite U2 lyric--especially "And your earth moves beneath your own dream landscape."

FallingStar said:
Definitely Love Is Blindness.

:yes:

Absolutely.

I agree with "Stay", "Angel Of Harlem", "Running To Stand Still", and "One" as well.

"With Or Without You" also definitely deserves mention. I mean, especially with this part in particular-I just love this whole thing right here:

See the stone set in your eyes
See the thorn twist in your side
I wait for you

Sleight of hand and twist of fate
On a bed of nails she makes me wait
And I wait without you

With or without you
With or without you

Through the storm we reach the shore
You give it all but I want more
And I'm waiting for you

Now if that isn't poetic, I honestly don't know what is.

Angela

Oh yes, there are far too many songs I could think of. But :yes:, "A Sort Of Homecoming" is definitely one of them.

Achtung Bubba said:
Yup, famous beat poet Alan Ginsburg read the lyrics to "Miami" mere months before he passed away in early '97.

Wow, really? Never knew that.

hippyactress said:
This is a great topic Salome! :up:
thank you

I just noticed I started this thread july 2000
it's good to see it's lost nothing of it's relevance :D

and I would still vote A Sort of Homecoming

I aint going to deviate much from the abovementioned songs and pick

RTSS, just a luvly set of words, the first time i heard em i was moved, granted i was on a train :)

and

So cruel, Prolly cos it is dark and that 'fear or desire' line

Does it seem like the really sad, soft songs have mostly been chosen here? I wonder what connection is there? Does the sad, slow music evoke the best from Bono?

No one picked my personal fave, "Love Rescue Me."

That song just hits something inside me.

Back
Top Bottom