U2 lyrics that "bug ya"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PennyPro:

Bono could be making a reference to the keys of the kingdom, which Jesus gives to Peter (and, thus, the church) in Matthew 16:19. The keys to the kingdom are generally considered to be the power/ability to forgive sins (in God's name) and setting the terms for reconciliation ("Binding" and "loosing").

Sometimes Bono's scriptural references are a little anemic, so it is hard to tell exactly what he means. In this case, he could be using "key" as an allegory for the value or worth of God's love (i.e. unconditional love; forgiveness). That's my guess.

I used that song when I taught confirmation and we were learning the Apostles' Creed. I think the three figures in that song are the three persons of the Trinity.

Intedomine: stop being such a contrarian.

Saracene said:
"...in a dry and waterless place" from Unforgettable Fire - either dry or waterless by itself would do fine, Bono went somewhat overboard with description here.
YES! This has always been one that's bugged me too. A lot of WGRYWH lyrics bug me. Off the new album..."freedom has a scent, like the top of new born baby's head."

There is a blatantly bleeding heart line in Crumbs that really bugs me...

something along the lines of "where you're born shouldn't decide whether you die or live," or something like that.

It's just a little too activist for me, although I know exactly what he's talking about.

neutral said:
Day and night
Why is it so
That this longing for you follows wherever I go
In the roaring traffic gloom
In the silence of my lonely room
I think of you
Night and day

Maybe it's just me but :yikes:

I bought the Steel String remix of this from iTunes so I've been listening to this a lot and some of the lyrics are kinda creepy.... :eeklaugh:

(yeah I know it's a cover)

Yeah definitely a stalker-esque type love song -LOL- Along the lines of Sting's "Every Breath You Take" & I agree...creeeeepy!

But somehow sexy.... :cute:

INTEDOMINE

Check your handle - If you are pulling it from the song Gloria

Gloria En Te Domine" = "Praise (or Glory) (un)to the Lord"

btw - i'm a believer!

PennyPyro
In reference to the "I threw away the keys" lyric...

I have heard that the song "the first time" is about the biblical parable of the prodigal son. I have read where Bono refers to it as something along the lines of the prodical(sp?) son with a twist.

Aardvark747 said:

Kite for me has always bugged m, I love the song but

"Hardness, It sets in, You need some protection, The thinner the skin"

Just grates on me,

Not that I read them but it sounds like something from a "ROMANTIC NOVEL"
when Paul is about to make love to Julia. or something to that effect.

ergggh

" a woman needs a man" its OK, but:

"Like a fish needs a bicycle" :ohmy:

It doesnt make any sense to me, it means that mean a woman doesn't need a man???

ClaytonMan said:

Kite for me has always bugged m, I love the song but

"Hardness, It sets in, You need some protection, The thinner the skin"

Just grates on me,

Not that I read them but it sounds like something from a "ROMANTIC NOVEL"
when Paul is about to make love to Julia. or something to that effect.

ergggh

I love that lyric, I think it rings very true.

Acrobat_Al said:
" a woman needs a man" its OK, but:

"Like a fish needs a bicycle" :ohmy:

It doesnt make any sense to me, it means that mean a woman doesn't need a man???

It's an old saying. I like the way Bono uses it.

One Tree Still said:

LOL

Me too! I liked it when I first heard it, but the more I listen, the more I think the "whoo hoo...whooo ooo hoo..." stuff is hideous.

YES!! This didn't occur to me until, as a Store Manager, I started playing ATYCLB (one of my fave albums) in my shop. After a while, even I started getting a little peeved by Bono's woohoo's in Elevation. Much as I love the man and his music, I can do without that particular noise.

this is a great thread (besides the religious debate), it's funny how some people's favorite lines are wierd for other people. Some of the ones listed here are my favorites.

"Freedom has a scent, like the top of a new born baby's head."
MD is probably my fav. of the new record, but that line bothers me.

Back
Top Bottom