U2 Lyrics for the Tough Times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
On the heels of the first anniversary of 9/11, here's a question for my IAMJ Deep Thinkers (or anyone else who's up for the challenge!): which of U2's lyrics do you find most inspiring/encouraging for the dark, difficult spots in your life? I certainly expect people to mention, say, "Walk On" and "Ultra Violet" and "Gloria," but other songs that might not come immediately to mind would be welcome too. I know this is one reason that I personally appreciate U2's songs: because they have so much power to uplift, enlighten, and change in them.

Give it a shot. Here's one of mine:

Now kings will rule and the poor will toil
and tear their hands as their tear the soil
but a day will come in this dawning age
when an honest man sees an honest wage

--from "Van Diemen's Land"

I like these lines because they remind me that all struggles that are worth struggling for have their purposes, and that with perseverance those challenges can be met, even in the face of great personal grief.

And if the sky will crack there must be someway back...

Just the first thing on top of my mind...:shrug:

I find "Stuck In A Moment" inspiring/encouraging, particularly these lines:

And you are such a fool
To worry like you do
I know it's tough, and you can never get enough
Of what you don't really need now ... my oh my

And if the night runs over
And if the day won't last
And if your way should falter
Along the stony pass
It's just a moment
This time will pass

Speaking of U2 and 9/11 - I just read this memorable article where Kevin Byrne arranged various U2 lyrics into a very moving poem.

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=2538

Last edited:
And Wake Up Dead Man.

Jesus, Jesus help me
I'm alone in this world
And a fucked up world it is too.

Sometimes it's good to know that other people had tough times as well.

"One" always does it for me. It's like a reality check, especially in tough times. The song starts off with a fairly depressed tone, "is it getting better?"and "did I dissapoint you?" and finishes on a high, but only because the character in the song seems to except that sometimes life isn't the way you want it. You just have to get on with it, because like it or not it's the only life you've got. How's that for deep aye??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom