'Take this heart... and make it break'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*k_i_t_e_86*

War Child
How do you understand this line from Yahweh? What are your thoughts about it? I know its a dumb question, but honestly i cant get it ...:shrug:

It's probably not accurate but here's my interpretation.

The entire song seems like telling someone before they go out in the real life all the things they should do, like kissing, making souls sing etc. Like advice for life. So my idea of a heart breaking is like be prepared for ill things. Know that life has its downs and they will happen. That's my idea anyway.

Thanks for sharing!
I caught a new view on this song now. Since i heard it i was imagining that its more like a request to God. So i didnt know why the God is to break somebody's heart....
But i still dont know...Feel like its a kind of prayer. What do you think?

I was thinking that if the heart was broken, it would then become more alive? It ties in with this lyric from "One Step Closer"

Well the heart that hurts
Is a heart that beats

I still perceive it as a prayer. To me, break my heart refers to humility and a "broken and contrite spirit." John Donne's "Batter my heart oh 3 personed god" comes to mind with this line.

This is a desire to have the heart of God - a desire to be broken over the same things that breaks God's heart.

Looking over all the lyrics - , it is a desire to do God's will, what is pleasing in his sight.

I've been thinking about that line a lot - too much really. My first listen to the song I thought it was "Take this heart...and make it brave" which seemed to fit with the overall uplifting spirit of the song.
Second listen I realized I was wrong and it is actually "break" - confused the hell out of me. Now I can't get it out of my head.

Your interpretations are interesting - I 'll need to give this more thought. Meantime, I'm just enjoying the album...

It is definitely and prayer - its just that last line...

I think that nbcrusader is right. I also think that Bono wrote these lyrics after he spent so much time in Africa with broken and hurting people, and then he came back to our "First World" society and realized our hearts need to break for those in need.

just a thought.

popsadie said:
I still perceive it as a prayer. To me, break my heart refers to humility and a "broken and contrite spirit." John Donne's "Batter my heart oh 3 personed god" comes to mind with this line.

EXACTLY, you nailed it, that is exactly what Bono is talking about, if any of you study the bible it is only obvious that Bono is talking about humility with "break" as a broken heart and contrite spirit. I love the song, and that line fits perfectly with the rest of the song, if Bono would have used "brave" in place of "break" that would make it more confusing if anything.
I also love the lyric in OSCTK that says, "a heart that hurts is a heart that beats".

John Donne's imagery gets a bit too strong for me. Submitting to God is one thing, being raped by the spirit is something entirely different

Check out the lyrics of "like a song"

"Angry words won't stop the fight
Two wrongs won't make it right.
A new heart is what I need.
Oh, God make it bleed.
Is there nothing left? "

I think Bono is definately talking to God and asking Him to break his heart, in essence, to make Bono submit - almost like breaking a wild horse.

Other lyrics to consider from HTDAAB
LAPOE - "here's my heart, I'll let you break it"
LAPOE - "as you enter this life, I pray you depart, with a wrinkled face, and a brand new heart"

My interpretation is that it's about giving your heart to the lord, and turning away from a life of sin.

Pain before a child is born could refer to both your own, and the worlds sin before jesus was born.

(yahweh) being hebrew for angel of the lord would also refer to the story of the birth of christ.

I was just listening to Yahweh and realized that it basically sums up the 2004 Boston Red Sox season, or any group that has overcome adversity for many years.

thefly12 said:
Check out the lyrics of "like a song"

"Angry words won't stop the fight
Two wrongs won't make it right.
A new heart is what I need.
Oh, God make it bleed.
Is there nothing left? "

That's very interesting. I knew the lyric on Yahweh reminded me of a previous U2 lyric but couldn't remember which one. I think you're definitely onto something there. Also I remember a quote from Bono where he said something like "The opposite of love is not hate. The opposite of love is indifference". So is he saying it's better to feel something than nothing at all?

Until the End of the World

For some reason, when I heard this line, I linked it with UTEOTW. "In the garden, I was playing the tart, I kissed your lips, broke your heart". Judas speaking here...but what happened was ultimately necessary in the whole scheme of things.

Bono has always been fascinated by Judas, and I just connected the Yahweh lyric with Bono saying "take this heart, and make it break", as if to say, it has to happen in order for me to start anew, to be born again, and again, and again, again...

I once heard someone say something about the reasoning behind those lines in Yahweh being along the lines of:
"if love comes from God, and love hurts, the you should give your heart to God for breaking"

I think it IS a hopeful note! Giving your heart to God and having him break it is amazing. We can grow so cold, callous, and indifferent to the world around us. We get wrapped up in our own worlds and become selfish. This song is a prayer from Bono, asking God to change and transform him in so many ways. "Always pain before a child is born" is an awesome line.... before things can be birthed and begun anew, pain and hardship must come first. Why?? This is Bono's question. He doesn't know the answer, but he knows that there is pain before things get better ("why the dark before the dawn?". He knows that to stay fresh and alive, he must continually have his heart broken from the death that tries to cover it, day after day (coldness, indifference). This song reminds me, in a strange way, of "Dirty Day." I believe that song is talking about guilt and remorse and the "dirty days." There are references to Jesus being buried in the ground (as a Christian, one must die with Christ and be born again --- resurrection) and then at the end of the song, he sings, "Those days, days, days, run away like horses over the hill..." what a great song! Anyway, the 2 songs seem to be linked in my mind because of the "why the dark before the dawn" line and the "days run away like horses over the hill" line. That's enough rambling for now....

Back
Top Bottom